Topic: John Carpenter's Prince of Darkness

Can we discuss this scary ass film??

Clearly this is one of my favorites since it is my damn Username, but even I forget how awesome it is sometimes.  I put it in last night for the first time in probably half a year, and the second I heard that score and felt the atmosphere, I got that feeling you get when you watch a Carpenter flick.  I ended up falling asleep about 30 minutes in because I had to work early, but as everybody knows the first 30 minutes is basically story/character development, and the last hour is when the fun starts.  Extremely excited to finish this movie tonight.  It is definitely one of the scariest American movies I have ever seen, and it is actually pretty darn fun at the same time. 

Oh I almost forgot.  Viktor Wong and Donald Pleasence in the scene where it is just those 2 in a room discussing the possibilities of this evil force has got to be one of the most unintentionally funny moments in Carpenter's filming career.  It is hard to explain, you just have to watch that damn scene if you don't know what I am talking about....Both guys are just so awesome and normally would not BOTH be in the same movie since they are kind of the same type of character....

Also this might be my favorite Carpenter score....

Last edited by PrinceofDarkness (2012-07-28 17:04:24)

Re: John Carpenter's Prince of Darkness

This is a scary movie.  The cast is great, the atmosphere is thick with dread, and that damn fuzzy video gives me the creeps everytime it's on the screen. 

I don't want to give too much away for those that haven't seen it, but there's one scene where a character is literally tearing down the walls to get away, and while it's kinda funny, it's also about the most realistic reaction to what's going down as I can think of.  The whole final third of the film is completely hair-raising and as unbelievably out of control as it gets.

I love most all of Carpenter's scores, and this is definitely one of his most chilling.  Right up there with Halloween and The Fog in that dept.

I'll tell ya what's creepy about this one....Alice Cooper!

Excellent film in most aspects. I just thought it was a little slow, and considering the subject matter of the plot I think so much more coulda been done. But considering the budget and such Carpenter turned this into a nice creepy little flick.

This is always one I come across, pick up, read "the back of the box" or whatever and put back down. To be honest, Carpenter, although he's consistent, doesn't do it for me. If I didn't know who he was and was casually looking at something to watch I would probably not take home any of his dvds/VHS just because his subject matters don't grab me.  I must be more of a movie snob than I thought. I'll probably watch this one once I'm done with my current list just because its more under-rated, feeling a bit out of love with the everyone loves it movies.

I think it's an interesting movie thematically, even if the execution is a bit stale.  Still, loads of creepiness, solid performances and tons of atmosphere.  Not my favorite Carpenter flick, but far from his worst.

I love the concept, I don't think I've seen anything quite like it anywhere else.  It tickles my science-y side of what bizarre things are out there that we don't know about and/or understand.

Not my favorite film of his, but then I've only seen it once or twice and the last viewing was more than ten years ago. I'll have to watch it again soon.

azathoth wrote:

I love the concept, I don't think I've seen anything quite like it anywhere else.  It tickles my science-y side of what bizarre things are out there that we don't know about and/or understand.

Exactly..Very, very interesting script.  Science/Philopsophy/Physics/Paranormal.  Very well written film.  The way that the possessed people in this movie possess another is so damn fucked up too.  as I said, scary as shit.

Like Azzy, I liked the 'science-y' element of the script too. Being interested in quantum physics, it just gave the film a whole other edge for me. I love Prince of Darkness. I'd rank it up there with one of my favorite Carpenter movies, easily.

Last edited by The Creature (2012-07-30 13:26:58)

Exactly^

A fucking Horror movie that involves fucking quantum physics.  I'm almost certain I heard Carpenter was actually studying quantum physics, not just for the movie.

Quantum Physics escapes me. More of a biology person. Found a copy and picked it up. Will probably watch it next week.

PrinceofDarkness wrote:

Exactly^

A fucking Horror movie that involves fucking quantum physics.  I'm almost certain I heard Carpenter was actually studying quantum physics, not just for the movie.

You read right. Here's from the Production section on wiki:

"The idea for the film came about as Carpenter had been researching theoretical physics and atomic theory. He recalled, simply, that "I thought it would be interesting to create some sort of ultimate evil and combine it with the notion of matter and anti-matter".[1] This idea, which would eventually develop into the screenplay for Prince of Darkness, was to be the first of a multi-picture deal with Alive Pictures, where Carpenter was allocated $3 million per picture and complete creative control."

Also, some of quotes from the bullshit critics are just hilariously incorrect:

Prince of Darkness was poorly received critically upon release. In his review for the Washington Post, Richard Harrington wrote, “At one point Pleasence vows that 'it's a secret that can no longer be kept.' Here's another: "The Prince of Darkness stinks." It too deserves to be shut up in a canister for 7 million years".[4] Liam Lacey, in his review for the Globe and Mail, wrote, “There is no character really worth caring about, no sympathy to any of these characters. The principal romantic couple, Jameson Parker and Lisa Blount, are unpleasant enough to create an unfortunate ambivalence about their eternal destinies”.[5].

Fuckin' critics, dood. lol

^^^ Well, it does have its faults.  For instance, the possessed Alice Cooper has control over "lower life forms" including insects, worms and...homeless people???  C'mon, Carp'.  Don't be hatin'. lol

One of my favourites, especially like the backstory to it, so trippy. A little slow moving at times but full of atmosphere. And it's one of those movies that I want to know more about, even though I'm pretty satisfied with what we got - like more about the "message" (trying not to spoil much).

The Creature wrote:
PrinceofDarkness wrote:

Exactly^

You read right. Here's from the Production section on wiki:

"The idea for the film came about as Carpenter had been researching theoretical physics and atomic theory. He recalled, simply, that "I thought it would be interesting to create some sort of ultimate evil and combine it with the notion of matter and anti-matter".[1] This idea, which would eventually develop into the screenplay for Prince of Darkness, was to be the first of a multi-picture deal with Alive Pictures, where Carpenter was allocated $3 million per picture and complete creative control."

Also, some of quotes from the bullshit critics are just hilariously incorrect:

Prince of Darkness was poorly received critically upon release. In his review for the Washington Post, Richard Harrington wrote, “At one point Pleasence vows that 'it's a secret that can no longer be kept.' Here's another: "The Prince of Darkness stinks." It too deserves to be shut up in a canister for 7 million years".[4] Liam Lacey, in his review for the Globe and Mail, wrote, “There is no character really worth caring about, no sympathy to any of these characters. The principal romantic couple, Jameson Parker and Lisa Blount, are unpleasant enough to create an unfortunate ambivalence about their eternal destinies”.[5].

Fuckin' critics, dood. lol

Critics has some serious issues with Carpenter.  I mean other than Halloween and maybe The Fog, I don't know that ANY of Carpenter's films were received well by critics.  I know for sure that The Thing, Prince of Darkness, Big Trouble in Little China, were all despised by critics.  As we all know The Thing and Big Trouble are seriously two of the best movies ever made.  This is one reason why Carpenter doesn't make movies anymore other than the fact that he is old.  He has a VERY cynical outlook on Hollywood but Carpenter definitely knows he got the last laugh because in the year 2012 he has quite the cult following and most of his films are seriously praised...

^^^ I'm not a big fan of Big Trouble in Little China.  I thought Carpenter's attempt to combine genres was a major misstep.  It has the sporadic laugh here and there but Carpenter's so much better when he's trying to scare you than when he's trying to make you laugh.  I'd rate Little China down with Memoirs of an Invisible Man as among his worst movies.  Hell, I thought The Ward was even better than this one, and that's not saying much.

I don't think I've ever actually seen this one.  I added to my queue and hope to check it out.

LoudLon wrote:

^^^ I'm not a big fan of Big Trouble in Little China.

You heathen.

azathoth wrote:
LoudLon wrote:

^^^ I'm not a big fan of Big Trouble in Little China.

You heathen.

I know...  I'm baffled.  I watched this with a friend over Christmas vacation this past year, & we both agreed it was among the best movies ever made.  We couldn't stop laughing.  Such great dialogue.  Of course, we were both lit up like a Christmas tree, but I've always thought it was a great movie.

Yup^

Fucking unbelievable movie.  Kurt Russell is absolutely hilarious.  Almost everything he does/says is funny.  I am a HUGE Russell fan and Jack Burton is my favorite Russell character ever, pretty easily.  The way he acts in Big Trouble is just so perfect.  Certain scenes where he see's some kind of black magic and then as he's running away saying things like "There is no way what I just saw was real."  The humor in that movie is absolutely unmatched by any other movie ever made.   "This is Jack Burton of the Pork Chop Express on a dark and stormy night with the Thunder rollin, the Lightening crashing and the rain falling in sheets thick as lead"

It is the type of movie that needs to be watched seriously a hundred times, just like all great movies. 

First time I saw it I wasn't quite convinced.  Second time, I had the time of my life.  Third time I realized that everything Kurt Russell says/does is humorous.  You get the point..

You've got Viktor Wong "YOU LEAVE JACK BURTON ALONE!!"  Ha I can't help but laugh everytime he says that early on in the movie.  I love the opening scene with Kurt Russel and Wang betting and then Wang betting that he can cut the bottle in half.  Haha after Wang makes the challenge for nothing or double Jack Burton is so damn excited haha.  He sits back and just waits and as we all know, "just like I told my last wife, it is all in the reflexes." Talk about Tarantino style dialogue/cinema.  Reminds me a little of Tarantino's short in 4 rooms...

Two of my favorite scenes are also the two nighttime truck driving scenes that Burton has.  Love how the movie starts and ends with those, it really gives the whole experience a great feel.  The ending of the movie is also just spectacular, and you just know that Jack Burton will survive no matter what...at least I do.

The 80s is my favorite decade of cinema.  I put Big Trouble in Little China in my top 20 no problem, and when it comes to nights when I want suspense/comedy/fantasy, it is the number 1 choice every time.  As you said Maxwell, one of the best movies ever made.

Last edited by PrinceofDarkness (2012-08-08 12:14:48)

""
Jack Burton: When some wild-eyed, eight-foot-tall maniac grabs your neck, taps the back of your favorite head up against the barroom wall, and he looks you crooked in the eye and he asks you if ya paid your dues, you just stare that big sucker right back in the eye, and you remember what ol' Jack Burton always says at a time like that: "Have ya paid your dues, Jack?" "Yessir, the check is in the mail."
""

Now the focus is shifting onto Big Trouble in Little China it seems tongue. I could watch it over and over again, another one of my favourites... but then again most Carpenter movies are up there in my list. But, I think the weakest part is the ending, I was looking for something more than that.

I'm surprised that Lon doesn't like it! Different strokes I guess.

^^
Lon has some different views on some movies.  Like Jaws, which he can't stand.  But that's because he rides them for fun.  (Long story)

Last edited by wolfman1959 (2012-08-08 18:28:32)

I'm not a fan of "Big Trouble In Little China" ethier. average, but if you boys like it, nothing wrong with that smile