Topic: Movie Night #15 Roundup

It was a fun night, with the usual hangups (more on that later). lol

Movies- Shaun of the Dead, Return of the Living Dead, Tucker & Dale vs. Evil.  All were recorded, but one won't be posted (again, more on that below).

Participants-
Azz
Lon
Mr. Black
Ms.G
Ultraviolence
Vasquez

Shoutout to Vengey who tried to get on all night but Skype kept crashing her system.

Shaun of the Dead-
In deference to our Euro friends, I started this one very early, 5PM US Eastern (10PM their time), with Shaun of the Dead.  Panda skipped this one to go to they gym, and Lon was a few minutes late because he first had to clear out 2 months worth of Skype messages, lol .  Ms.G didn't join us until the next film.

We spent a LOT of time finding connections between this film and Hot Fuzz.  For example, the music supervisor for Shaun was Nick Angel, a character you may recall from Hot Fuzz.  There were a ton of others we found, so if you're interested, check out the podcast (soon to be posted).  Just so you know, I forgot to do my intro (what, I'm out of practice! tongue ), so we started at the very beginning with Shaun staring straight into the camera.

Return of the Living Dead-
Ms.G and Panda joined us for our 2nd film.  As an added bonus, this was UV's first time watching this film.  As Lon and I bit our tongues trying not to spoil the film, we did spend a good amount talking about the various actors, and how a lot of them went on to do a lot more TV & film work.  We discussed the FX a bit, and noted how some people think that fast and/or smart zombies are a relatively new idea.  And, of course, we digressed into talking about other zombie films.

Tucker & Dale vs. Evil-
Ms.G took off to watch Doghouse with her man, and Vas bowed out to get some shuteye (it was 2:30AM for him).  And here is where our problems started. Everyone was running off a different source, and UV started having internet problems.  So most of the time we were trying to figure out where everyone was in the film, who was online, and other things.  So the recording is a lot of syncing issues and long moments of quiet.  We all enjoyed the film, but we really didn't get to talk about it that much since everyone was talking about different points of the movie at the same time.  But it's not a Movie Night unless there are some problems, right?  big_smile  But it's basically a worthless recording, so I'm not going to post it.  If for some insane reason you want the files, let me know and I can stick them up on my Dropbox or something.

I'm debating doing a Movie Night at the end of September as a warmup for HorrorFest 2012.  Leave your thoughts about that.  And I'll be needing some people to help me out pick this year's 'Fest films.  I'm looking to go with more recent movies this year.  Last year was heavy in late 70s, 80s, and early 90s, so I'm thinking newer than that for the majority of films this year.

So thanks everyone that showed up (or tried). I had a great time as usual, and I hope you also enjoyed.  I'll post a followup when the podcasts are uploaded.

-Azzy

Re: Movie Night #15 Roundup

Ive posted my reviews on my challenge thread. Enjoyed myself quite a bit despite syncing problems etc big_smile

I had fun. I'm definitely in for another one. Just out of curiosity, have we ever done a documentary night? Not suggesting it for the next night, but I'd love to do one sometime in the future.

^^
We have not, but I like the idea!  Any ones in particular you'd like to see done?  I'm always looking for new ideas.

Just for reference, here are all the movies we've done.  Minus Saturday's, haven't got around to updating that yet.

I'll have to think about it. I just know that it would be like a double education watching one with guys like you and Lon. I'm all about expanding the knowledge and having fun while doing it.

Hey Lon, someone said something nice about us!  High five!  lol

*High five returned!

'Twas an entertaining night, Tucker and Dale problems aside.  You're looking for more recent movies for this year's Halloween Fest, so here are some ideas:

The Devil's Rejects
The Mist
Ravenous (nineties, sure, but LATE nineties big_smile )
Session 9
Trick 'r Treat (not a big fan, but I'm a people pleaser lol )
American Psycho
Land of the Dead
Feast
Zombieland
Bubba Ho-Tep
Dawn of the Dead '04

^^
Good stuff there, but do you think that Mist, Session, and A. Psycho have enough energy to carry a convo through?  On the other hand, I can slot them in different spots. 

Oh, and if others are going to make recommendations, please please please don't make it a 50 movie list!!!!!  I only have 36 slots, and if everyone gives me 30+ films, it's just going to be a nightmare trying to pare them down.  They don't have to be popular films, obscure films are good too, the idea is too expose people to as many films (hopefully new, too) as possible.

I could talk about american psycho all night man! love me some christan bale lol

not a fan of the mist (not that it cant be watched just I am not big on it freaks me out

Not a huge fan of The Mist either, but I likely will be popping in and out.

I vote to add Doghouse to the list. I'm in love with that one. And maybe The Loved Ones?

^^
"And so it begins."

azathoth wrote:

^^
Good stuff there, but do you think that Mist, Session, and A. Psycho have enough energy to carry a convo through?

Notice how short my list is?  That's because as I was trying to think of recent films, I realized that the 2000s haven't exactly been a rut of "fun" horror movies.  For the most part horror over the last twelve or so years has been dead serious.  Not that I'm complaining about that overall, but as it pertains to our movie nights, it seems the more serious and dire a movie is, the less discussion which occurs during.  You know I'm desperate when I include Trick 'r Treat. lol

On my list, though, I'd say The Mist and Session 9 are the ones which might prove less energetic, conversationally.

No offense meant, sahib.  Though Mist and Session 9 could be great as a late night offering.  Put the mind-benders when people can be lulled into the movie.  During a normal night (prime time), we're looking for stuff all the time to talk about.  But a late night creep fest could work well, too.

No offense taken, Achmed.  You know me -- I like the stuff that lends itself to better conversation, even if it means watching a really bad movie that we have lots of fun tearing apart.  It's just hard to come up with recent films which allow for that because, as I said, there's been very little humor in horror over the last ten years or so. hmm

Does it have to be recent US/UK releases? There are LOADS of 2000's movies from around the world that are great fun.

I second Ms.G's suggestion! That would be great. I've seen some excellent docs lately. Midnight Movies, a documentary of the BBFC and it's conception and hillarious letters to and from directors of contraversial movies (can't remember what it was called), Nightmares in Red, White and Blue and Best Worst Movie have been the best horror ones I've seen lately.

^^
There are no limits on films' country of origin.  The only thing about the documentaries would be that they would need to promote discussion.

Mm probably wouldn't be great for an "official" movie night.

Could we have a contraversial movie night. Something that shows, not the most extreme, but those that have given the MPAA and BBFC some issues? Lots of room for discussion there. Or a cult classics night? So bad it's good night? (I'm just throwing some randoms there for ya)

All ideas are welcome.

I've been sitting here listening to the Re-Animator recording and it's making me miss Pam.  I have to drop her a line, see if she's okay...

LoudLon wrote:

You're looking for more recent movies for this year's Halloween Fest, so here are some ideas:

Trick 'r Treat

I knew you'd come around on this one!  big_smile

^^^ Oh, no.  Don't mistake my including it for having warmed up to it.  Like I said above...

"...even if it means watching a really bad movie that we have lots of fun tearing apart. "

Thought you got one in there, didn't ya? lol

^  I know...I conveniently left some of your post out.  wink

Cheeky fucker!  lol

Brit horror night big_smile

OR an Anthology night! I'm really into them cause I like to see different offerings from different directors and I'm super excited for ABC's of Horror.