Re: Films that put a bulls eye on your forehead.

HorrorQueen17 wrote:

^^Haha Ghosty, Paranormal Activity you say? tongue

That is one I really hate, which did very well at the BO!

LOL. You gotta admire those Paranormal Act. filmmakers... they sure knew how to pickpocket a lot of cash through the loose purse strings of the superstitious. They are a very gullible breed.

Bunshinsaba wrote:
HorrorQueen17 wrote:

LOL. You gotta admire those Paranormal Act. filmmakers... they sure knew how to pickpocket a lot of cash through the loose purse strings of the superstitious. They are a very gullible breed.

I have friends who won't put their toddlers in their own bedrooms because of that film so I know a lot of people who find it terrifying. It's a successful franchise and they deserve a pat on the back for doing so well with a recycled idea but imho this film is more successful with non horror fans.

I like:

Paranormal Activity series
Saw series
TCM (remake)
Graveyard Shift
Maximum Overdrive
Demon Knight

I hate:

Blair Witch Project (I had to wait waaaay too long to watch those 3 idiots die)
Rocky series (simply unwatchable)
The Expendables (boring movie and the scene with Arny and Bruce was so bad that it was painful to sit through)
Kill Bill (boring and slow)
TCM (original) (just couldn't get into it but I think Tobe Hooper is horribly overrated) 
James Cameron ($300M to make Avatar and you actually call the stuff "unobtainium"? Screw you and your giant ego)

Last edited by bentheprop (2012-07-02 06:08:46)

UltraViolence wrote:
Bunshinsaba wrote:
HorrorQueen17 wrote:

I have friends who won't put their toddlers in their own bedrooms because of that film so I know a lot of people who find it terrifying. It's a successful franchise and they deserve a pat on the back for doing so well with a recycled idea but imho this film is more successful with non horror fans.

No question, there. It's definitely terrifying for those people who actually fall for that paranormal hokum. Afraid of black cats and walking under ladders too I imagine.

bentheprop wrote:

I like:

TCM (remake)

I hate:

TCM (original) (just couldn't get into it but I think Tobe Hooper is horribly overrated)

This could a generation thing? The original Texas was made 40 years ago, so a lot of young people just can't relate to the atmosphere, dialogue, characters of the film, and its alternate display of blood-less violence. NOt to mention the grainy look of the film. Now, I'm not saying that is you per se, but I know it's that way with my wife whose nearly 9 years younger than me. Every time I put on an old horror she kind of groans.... and anything beyond 1970 is really pushing it. LOL.

BTW: the remake of TCM has a lot of followers... ME for example!!  Loved both of them.

Last edited by Bunshinsaba (2012-07-02 07:40:47)

I believe in the paranormal to a certain degree, it wasn't that I couldn't believe the storyline I just hated how they made it. Sure, not seeing something can be as scary as seeing it, but in the PA series I just found absolutely no scares at all.

I think you're right that it's definitely more popular amongst non horror fans, and it did an incredibly good job of raking in money, they were definitely successful in that!

I personally love the original TCM, and quite like the remake.

I can get the TCM original thing. The first time i saw it was extremely creepy and disturbing due to its grainy documentary look etc. Mind this was very early into my love of horror. On subsequent viewings it has become, perhaps inevitably less disturbing and I recognise more of its aspects/sequences of dark humour. I even believe that Hooper himself described his film as having , or intending to have a underlying comedic aspect . It was strange cause i showed the original to my friends in halls who weren't into horror that much and while watching it with them i suddenly recognised both some clear and subtle humour in various scenes and laughed at it. Don't get me wrong though it still has significant elements of raw, terrifying and disturbing power no matter how many times i watch it. TCM will always be my favourite Horror film for that initial terrifying experience i associate with it.

Last edited by Vasquez (2012-07-02 18:29:40)

The thing about the classics is that they were breaking new ground back then.  I think people forget that what is old hat now, was new back then.  And thus dismiss the originals as silly or quaint.  The original Universal's and Hammer's scared people way back, and now we show them to our kids no problem.  Hell, even Nosferatu scared people.

Things change, people adapt.

As for the paranormal stuff, I just think that there is stuff out there that we can't explain yet.

azathoth wrote:

The thing about the classics is that they were breaking new ground back then.  I think people forget that what is old hat now, was new back then.  And thus dismiss the originals as silly or quaint.  The original Deep throat, Behind the Green Door were hardcore, and now we show them to our kids no problem.  Hell, even Devil in Miss Jones was dirty.

As for the Asian stuff, I just think that there is stuff out there that we can't explain yet.

True.

^^
Nice, very subtle.
And I'm not sure we'll ever be able to explain some Asian stuff.

Last edited by azathoth (2012-07-02 11:18:48)

I give every film a fair chance, new and old. English language and subtitled. Some of my favourites are asian while my favourite film is from the 80s which is old to me because I wasn't born until early 90s. I'll always have respect for originals wether I like the actual films or not.

Last edited by UltraViolence (2012-07-02 12:34:22)

azathoth wrote:

^^
Nice, very subtle.

Thanks.

swollenguy wrote:
azathoth wrote:

^^
Nice, very sexy.

Thanks.

Indeed.

Like (most hate):

Timeline

Hate (most like):

Xtro (So much, I sometimes name my BMs after it.)

^^
Have you seen Xtro 2, and if so, what did you think about it?

azathoth wrote:

The thing about the classics is that they were breaking new ground back then.  I think people forget that what is old hat now, was new back then.  And thus dismiss the originals as silly or quaint. 

I would agree with that for some films (TCM definitely), but not when it comes to a film like JAWS, which is the birth mother of what we now refer to as the "Summer Blockbuster". It not only re-invented a genre (what rogue monster film since doesn't tip their hat to Jaws?) but it re-wrote the book on how to write scripts and develop character in within the framework of the genre. It quite literally is a perfect film without peers, and is relevant and engaging to this day regardless of viewer age. IMO.

Last edited by Bunshinsaba (2012-07-02 20:07:28)

Bunshinsaba wrote:
bentheprop wrote:

I like:

TCM (remake)

I hate:

This could a generation thing? The original Texas was made 40 years ago, so a lot of young people just can't relate to the atmosphere, dialogue, characters of the film, and its alternate display of blood-less violence. NOt to mention the grainy look of the film. Now, I'm not saying that is you per se, but I know it's that way with my wife whose nearly 9 years younger than me. Every time I put on an old horror she kind of groans.... and anything beyond 1970 is really pushing it. LOL.

BTW: the remake of TCM has a lot of followers... ME for example!!  Loved both of them.

I don't think that it's a generational thing for me because I was born in 72 and grew up on the 70's and 80's films as well as old B&W monster movies. I think part of the problem is that my only real full viewing of the original was on vhs on an old vcr and an old tv. Add all of that to the original grainy quality and you could hardly make things out at the time.

I've got a copy of the original on DVD that I keep meaning to watch but just haven't yet. I imagine the better quality picture will probably help me appreciate the movie more. I'm not holding my breath though because Tobe Hooper hasn't done much of anything that I've liked.

Last edited by bentheprop (2012-07-03 14:54:23)

I dont think it can be absolutely or broadly defined as a generational thing. There may be however specific people who may totally disregard it without giving it a chance and view it as dated etc. Considering i was born in 1990 i love older movies, as like bentheprop from the 1930s and i am sure i will appreciate older films than that – Nosferatu (22) etc though i have yet to see them.

Bunshinsaba wrote:
azathoth wrote:

The thing about the classics is that they were breaking new ground back then. ...

I would agree with that for some films (TCM definitely), but not when it comes to a film like JAWS, which is the birth mother of what we now refer to as the "Summer Blockbuster"....

Quite true, some were inventing, some were re-inventing, some were putting new twists on old ideas.  Probably why that era is so fun, many films are able to be torn down and examined in detail as to why they were so successful.

I liked both TCM movies which is a stretch for me because I usually can't stand remakes.

I like:

Waxwork
Piranha
Mega Shark vs. Crocosaurus (any of the Syfy monster movies really)
Return of the Living Dead 3
Trailer Park of Terror

I Hated:

Audition
Yellowbrick Road (had the biggest argument with my friend over this one)
Horde

Bunshinsaba wrote:

You gotta admire those Paranormal Act. filmmakers... they sure knew how to pickpocket a lot of cash through the loose purse strings of the superstitious. They are a very gullible breed.

It's definitely terrifying for those people who actually fall for that paranormal hokum. Afraid of black cats and walking under ladders too I imagine.

Thing is...don't really consider myself too gullible, or stupid...or dumb (though maybe I am).  I do believe in the paranormal and have some superstitions, not cats though.  Thing is though...its just a movie, well several now...and I like them.  I don't think they're real.  I just enjoy them...and yes, I am going to say the most forbidden thing on this board...they have SCARED me.  Yes, I admitted it.  I have been scared by the Paranormal movies.  So think what ya will.  I think the Paranormal series makes the biggest bullseye for people.

Ms. G - Totally agree with you about Yellowbrick.

Last edited by Ghostseeker (2012-08-02 22:51:28)

Friday the 13th remake
Jennifer's Body
Zombies Halloween 2

Dislike

Rosemary's Baby
The Wicker Man
Near Dark