Topic: Need a couple suggestions

Thinking of renting some movies to watch tonight.  I live near a dvd store which basically has everything, foreign included.  A couple weeks ago I rented The Innkeepers, Attack the Block, Trollhunter.  As far as 80s horror goes if it is a common title at all I have probably seen it.  They have C.H.U.D. to rent so their old Horror section goes pretty deep..  I've rented Stake Land from there as well. 

Does anyone have any suggestions of Horror movies that have come out within the last 5 or so years?  Also does anyone have any good somewhat obscure 70s or 80s horror suggestions(not as cheesy as C.H.U.D.)

I also might rent The Sentinel which I have never seen

Last edited by PrinceofDarkness (2012-08-05 13:03:48)

Re: Need a couple suggestions

I liked this one http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1472195/ stumbled upon it on Netflix its kinda Sons of Anarchy meets Evil Dead.

Check out Mulberry Street if u can find it.

Ended up getting Silent House, Videodrome, The Host(2006), Insidious, Black xmas, and the Brood.  Oh and Chuck Russels the Blob....Going to be a fun few days...I'm going to look for the movies you guys suggested next time for sure...

^^^ Haven't seen Silent House or Insidious yet but the others are all top-drawer.  Unless you're talking the Black Christmas remake and not the original...?

Nah I'm talking original...Haven't seen it and I'm still thinking about waiting till xmas to watch it.    I've seen the Blob but didn't watch it real closely and of course love Russels NOES 3 and the Mask.  Also the only Cronenberg movies I've seen are Shivers, Dead Zone, and The Fly...

I am really looking forward to Silent House as well....

@Lon- I think you'll like Insidious, except for a few parts.

^^^ I've had it on my PC for months now, but every time I open my horror movies folder up I opt for some other flick instead.

I dunno.  Maybe I'm just a contrarian. lol

Poultrygeist: Night of the Chicken Dead
Antropophagus (1980)

Silent House.. Remake or original? Original is pretty good, creepy stuff and the whole "filmed in one shot thing" is pretty awesome.
Videodrome.. Kooky but over all a pretty solid movie.
The Host(2006), I'm guessing this is the Korean monster movie? I loved this! Really a great monster movie and a social commentary.
Insidious.. Creeped me out.
Black xmas.. Seen this about 10 times and still not seen the ending. Cheesy fun with some dark overtones.

Don't think I've seen your other 2 choices.

PrinceofDarkness wrote:

Ended up getting Silent House, Videodrome, The Host(2006), Insidious, Black xmas, and the Brood.  Oh and Chuck Russels the Blob....Going to be a fun few days...I'm going to look for the movies you guys suggested next time for sure...

I saw Silent House in the theater & thought it was much better than people were giving it credit for.  A lot of people don't like the "twist", but it didn't bother, as I had it figured out already & was fine with it.  Pretty creepy & expertly shot.

Videodrome is just awesome.  It's definitely an experience.

The Host is a great monster movie.

I liked Insidious a lot.  It worked really well in the theater.  I think they went a little over the top with the demon's lair (a little too Jeepers Creepers, which didn't match the tone of the rest of the movie), BUT lots of freakiness, genuine scares, & humor made up for it.  Another good modern horror.

The original Black Christmas?  A pre-slasher craze classic that I rank right up there with Halloween.  Watch it alone in the dark.  Very tense & atmospheric.

The Brood is probably my favorite straight horror film from Cronenberg.  Very unnerving & like most of his films, you'll feel a bit queasy afterwards & might feel the need to take a bath.

The 80s remake of The Blob is right up there with The Fly & The Thing for remakes that far surpass the original.  It's a total blast & I don't know why I don't own it on DVD yet.

All good picks, in my opinion.  Lots of variety.

As for next time, if you haven't already seen it, I suggest Howard & Jonathon Ford's THE DEAD (2010).  Probably one of the best serious zombie films I've seen in a long time.  I think fans of Romero's original trilogy & The Walking Dead series will find much to appreciate in this lyrical Africa-set horror.

^^
We did the original Black Christmas for last year's Christmas Horror Night- we had a lot of fun with it. 
Yeah, the demon lair/fight part of Insidous is the one thing that really bugs me (and a bunch of others) about the film.  It just clashes with the rest of movie thematically so badly.
Videodrome just rocks bollocks. 
And the new Blob was pretty awesome, too.  Love the phone booth scene!

Maxwell wrote:

As for next time, if you haven't already seen it, I suggest Howard & Jonathon Ford's THE DEAD (2010).  Probably one of the best serious zombie films I've seen in a long time.  I think fans of Romero's original trilogy & The Walking Dead series will find much to appreciate in this lyrical Africa-set horror.

Great Zombie movie Max...very haunting and beautiful scenery!

I was actually looking for The Dead but couldn't find it.  I am going to ask the guy up front next time if they have it, chances are they do.

PrinceofDarkness wrote:

I was actually looking for The Dead but couldn't find it.  I am going to ask the guy up front next time if they have it, chances are they do.

seek it out Prince it's worth it, it's a very good film.

The Dead is a great recent choice.  Some others of note:

Splinter
Cold Fish
I saw the Devil
Bedeviled
Penumbra
Apartment 143
Sleep Tight
Livide
Sweatshop
The Revenant
Cold Sweat
The Meat Grinder

Also try Anthony DiBlasi's Cassadaga from 2011. Great indie flick from the guy tht brought u 2009's Clive Barker adaption Dread. Another highly recommended film.