Topic: Hellbent (2004)

A serial killer sporting devil horns and brandishing a sickle is stalking the homosexual community of West Hollywood.  Four friends go out to party at the West Hollywood Halloween Carnival and make the mistake of good-naturedly mooning the killer, unwittingly making themselves his next targets.  Rest assured, the killer is never far behind each of the four friends as they eventually split up in pursuit of their own interests.

While Hellbent is unique in that it is a gay horror film, it avoids camp territory, as the stalk n' slash proceedings are played straight (no pun intended).  The direction, pacing, & acting is superb with four fleshed-out male leads, who make for likeable & sympathetic characters you want to survive.  It's a formulaic slasher that injects enough energy & originality into the proceedings to make it worth your time.

Streaming now on Netflix!

Re: Hellbent (2004)

Ok...I'm going to give it a go!

I read about this a while back but chickened out on it.  Not that I'm anti-gay, it just didn't sound like my cup of (sweet) tea.

Heh...

Hmmmmm....well...didn't hate it.  Thought it was ok.  Cool soundtrack!  smile

Ghostseeker wrote:

It did have a pretty kickass soundtrack.  I tend to give well-done low budget films a little more leeway, well, because if they're well done they deserve extra credit.  I really loved how the whole thing with the final guy's fake eye paid off with the last shot.  I figured there'd be a sequel by now.

And Lon, it's just a slasher movie.

Maxwell wrote:

I tend to give well-done low budget films a little more leeway, well, because if they're well done they deserve extra credit.

You know, that is one of the things I have learned from this site and forum...exactly that.

Maxwell wrote:

I really loved how the whole thing with the final guy's fake eye paid off with the last shot.

Yeah, that was cool.

Maxwell wrote:
Ghostseeker wrote:

It did have a pretty kickass soundtrack.  I tend to give well-done low budget films a little more leeway, well, because if they're well done they deserve extra credit.  I really loved how the whole thing with the final guy's fake eye paid off with the last shot.  I figured there'd be a sequel by now.

<--- Burned out on slasher movies.  I joked above, but the gay angle has nothing to do with it.

LoudLon wrote:
Maxwell wrote:
Ghostseeker wrote:

<--- Burned out on slasher movies.  I joked above, but the gay angle has nothing to do with it.

I can understand that, but I just felt that this was a good one, due to the natural performances of the males leads.  The film as a whole is a fresh entry in a stale genre.  Plus, I'm a sucker for ANY film that takes places on or around Halloween.