Topic: Day of the Dead

This shit is fucking GREAT.  Watching it basically for the first time ever and I'm loving everything about it.  Haha and Rhodes is fucking scary, I understand now what Maxwell's avatar is all about.  Definitely enjoying the 80s feel it has with the Tangerine Dream style sounding score.  Night of the Living Dead remake is one of my favorite movies ever, but I didn't like the original Dawn of the Dead all that much.  I am really enjoying this one though.  Every character is interesting, especially John..

Also when watching these films you notice that some of Walking Dead and 28 days Later's most clever moments(zombies on chains), (zombies being hauled by the neck like alligators ) take place in these movies first.

Re: Day of the Dead

Just a question here- do you need to curse to get your point across?  Wouldn't "I love this movie" be just as effective.  Just a personal opinion on decorum.

Day isn't my favorite of Romero's Dead films, but it's high on my list of favorite horror films in general. 

Did you notice when Joe Pilato shoots John Amplas that the hammer on his revolver doesn't move? lol

^ I never noticed that Lon, damn you, that's gonna bug me now lol

I really love the whole dead trilogy but Day is my favorite. Best fucking zombie movie ever! I loved how the film starts in the abandoned city with the horde of zombies then it turns into this isolated setting for the remainder. Not the mention some of the best f/x work i've ever seen!

I think Day gets a bad rap. Fans love to hate on it, but it really is a good film and my second favorite of the trilogy. I would put it behind Dawn though, but that is probably a given.

azathoth wrote:

Just a question here- do you need to curse to get your point across?  Wouldn't "I love this movie" be just as effective.  Just a personal opinion on decorum.

How many curse words were in my post?  3?  My point of cursing is not to be extra effective it is just what happens to come out SOMETIMES when I am excited.  Your personal opinion on decorum does not justify you questioning why an excited man has decided to curse when talking about a movie.  You can't figure out on your own that I was excited and millions and millions and billions of people curse when they are excited?? You need to question yourself when it comes to decorum.  You calling me out for cursing out of excitement is more of an ass thing to do then cursing in the first place.  Just a personal opinion on decorum..

azathoth wrote:

Why don't you ask Chainsaw the same question you asked me as he described it as "the greatest fucking zombie movie ever"

Not saying you'd care if I was, but I'm not offended or anything, I understand where you are coming from.  At the same time this is a message board and I will curse on it constantly as will a lot of others IF that is what I/we feel like doing at the time.  Basically to answer your question, sometimes it is very necessary to cuss.  We are talking about frickin horror movies here.  If we didn't curse we would sound like idiots...

Last edited by PrinceofDarkness (2012-08-07 23:42:12)

ChainSaW80 wrote:

I really love the whole dead trilogy but Day is my favorite. Best fucking zombie movie ever! I loved how the film starts in the abandoned city with the horde of zombies then it turns into this isolated setting for the remainder. Not the mention some of the best f/x work i've ever seen!

Yea this film is really, really good.  And as you said, the F/x are absolutely incredible.  The guts oozing out of the zombies and spilling out onto the floor definitely is about as good as I've ever seen blood and guts look.

Yeah, Day of the Dead is complete blast. It may not be my favorite film of the trilogy, but it is George's. So I guess that may count for something.

But man, awesome gore effects, great characters (Bub and Rhodes are classics in my book), good atmosphere/feeling to the film, killer looking zombies, etc. Everything adds up, making this a one of my favorite horror films as well.

ChainSaW80 wrote:

When you watch a movie 20 or 30 times, you notice these things. lol

love it! in my opinion this and Dawn are the best zombie films ever. never forget seeing both when first released at cinema. both great experiences. never understand the criticism that " Day" is " slow and boring" because it isn't , it's a masterpiece! Romero is the man! ( high fives)

Last edited by wolfman1959 (2012-08-08 02:22:20)

Ive always said I think this is underrated by critics compared to Dawn (I never find it in top 100 lists, for example in my book 101 Horror Films to See Before You Die, but instead every time Dawn is mentioned) and is by far superior. Glad another perso realizes how genius day is. Its haunting, claustrophobic setting fits the end of world theme so much better than the huge mall in Dawn (No disrespect to Dawn though that is still a fine film), and its comedic elements.  All the points u guys have mentioned fx etc are why i love it. Look deep enough and it even has as much relevant social commentary as Dawn (Reagen's militarism etc).  I just wonder how George's original and bigger vision, based on his original script would have looked like. Who knows, it might have suffered from being set in a less confined setting (which is one of the reasons why the film works so well). This is easily in my Top 2 Horror films of all time second only to the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre from 74. I have even got a DVD and a BluRay version of it even though i dont have a BluRay player. Arrow's BluRay of it is great with some awesome extras plus the reversible cover plays homage to one of my favourite scenes.

http://www.blogomatic3000.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/DayoftheDead2d.jpg

I LOVE this movie, especially the fantastic score.

Would have been amazing to see Romero's original vision of it, but regardless, we got an awesome movie. Every time I see the opening I feel like shouting at the characters to explore that city, but I guess things don't change on repeat viewings tongue. I prefer it to Dawn most of the time.

PrinceofDarkness wrote:

This shit is fucking GREAT.  Watching it basically for the first time ever and I'm loving everything about it.  Haha and Rhodes is fucking scary, I understand now what Maxwell's avatar is all about.  Definitely enjoying the 80s feel it has with the Tangerine Dream style sounding score.  Night of the Living Dead remake is one of my favorite movies ever, but I didn't like the original Dawn of the Dead all that much.  I am really enjoying this one though.  Every character is interesting, especially John..

Also when watching these films you notice that some of Walking Dead and 28 days Later's most clever moments(zombies on chains), (zombies being hauled by the neck like alligators ) take place in these movies first.

I think Day of the Dead is still my favorite horror film because it was the first that left a lasting impression on me at a very young age.  I remember feeling very tense while watching it, and still do during certain scenes, as it is very effective in its depiction of stressed out adults at their worst.  I've always thought of Joe Pilato's Captain Rhodes as one of cinema's great antagonists, as he truly scared me.  I just didn't know what vile thing he'd say or do next and I hoped that when & if he finally got his, it would be worthy of his actions (boy was it ever!).

Besides all that great Savini zombie makeup & gore FX, & John Harrison's fantastic Carribean flavored score, the thing that makes Day the best of the bunch is the tough, stylized dialogue, that was such an influence on Quentin Tarratino & Roger Avary (check out Avary's commentary on the Anchor Bay 2 Disc SE).  Day is the most quotable of the original series, with monlogue after great monologue from the characters of John, Dr. Frankenstein, & Rhodes.  It doesn't get much better than the several briefing area scenes where we really get to understand everyone's motivations & issues in an increasingly desperate situation.

I've gone back & forth between this & Dawn as my favorite horror & zombie films, as I seriously love them both near about equally.  I think the reason why I gravitate towards Day is that it is more of a focused horror film, where Dawn is contains several shifts in tone, from dramatic horror, to fun-filled action, to slapstick comedy.  It's certainly never boring.  Day is unrelenting in its grimness, offering only one glimmer of hope in its brilliantly ambiguous ending.  This, along with Night of the Living Dead, is an obvious influence on the tone of the Walking Dead TV series.

Very good points about the dialogue.  That is definitely something about it that has me so damn into it.  I am interested in basically every single character.  I think I was expecting more of a Dawn of the Dead style movie, but since this serious ask score is just playing through at least half of the movie, it sets a completely different tone than Dawn from what I remember.  Just so much more serious and as you said, no fun filled action..

And yea I enjoy Walking Dead quite a bit.  Not nearly as into as most and also was a huge fan of Shane's character/Berenthal before he got killed off.  Day of the Dead is putting the Walking Dead to shame on pure terror alone.  Just the idea that this Rhodes character will kill you/rape you/do whatever he wants to you at any moment has me on edge for real.  I've watched the first 50 minutes now twice and I am about to finish the film.  Sometimes I like a movie so much I end up stopping it about halfway and rewatching the first half.  Probably has something to do with making the great experience last longer...

Last edited by PrinceofDarkness (2012-08-08 12:23:42)

One of the elements I like most is bub's reactions. Great acting by Sherman Howard.

http://dvdpgallery.dvdalistic.com/galleries/D/Day_of_the_Dead/Day-of-the-dead-Bub-small.jpg

I also love Johns philosophical monologues. They were so relevant even in relation to the state of the real world in 85, and perhaps just as relevant as Romero's critique is of consumerism in Dawn (I have even read on the web that Romero only chose the mall due to budget reasons and he knew the owners, but i dont know so dont crucify me for saying that). Such a effective contrast to Rhodes's lunacy. Other parts of dialogue in the script as maxwell highlights are also genius. Here are 1 or 2 of my other fav quotes(Drag to see text below)

"You want to put some kind of explanation on all this? Here's one as good as any other. We're bein' punished by the Creator. He visited a curse on us. Maybe he didn't want to see us blow ourselves up, put a big hole in the sky. Maybe he just wanted to show us He's still the Boss Man. Maybe he figure, we gettin' too big for our britches, tryin' to figure his shit out". The zombies wailing over his monologue in this scene is also atmospheric genius by Romero.

"I'm running this monkey farm now Frankenstein and I wanna know... what the fuck you're doing with my time!"

"But is he alive or dead? Well, that's the question nowadays isn't it? Let's just say I let him continue to exist"

I also remember in the special features of Arrow's release Romero comments

"fans of DAY are the "trolls" of horror viewers, the ones who can take the really rough"stuff" Well Romero sir i am truly proud to be a Troll and THANK YOU for giving me the opportunity.

Also I noticed how Logan givs Bub the book "Salem's Lot". Its great

Last edited by Vasquez (2012-08-08 19:33:21)

PrinceofDarkness wrote:

Very good points about the dialogue.  That is definitely something about it that has me so damn into it.  I am interested in basically every single character.  I think I was expecting more of a Dawn of the Dead style movie, but since this serious ask score is just playing through at least half of the movie, it sets a completely different tone than Dawn from what I remember.  Just so much more serious and as you said, no fun filled action..

And yea I enjoy Walking Dead quite a bit.  Not nearly as into as most and also was a huge fan of Shane's character/Berenthal before he got killed off.  Day of the Dead is putting the Walking Dead to shame on pure terror alone.  Just the idea that this Rhodes character will kill you/rape you/do whatever he wants to you at any moment has me on edge for real.  I've watched the first 50 minutes now twice and I am about to finish the film.  Sometimes I like a movie so much I end up stopping it about halfway and rewatching the first half.  Probably has something to do with making the great experience last longer...

If you can get ahold of the Anchor Bay 2 Disc Special Edition, be sure to listen to the Director, cast, & crew commentary as well as Roger Avary's fan commentary.  That's one sure way to make a great thing last even longer.  I'm sure the Blu Ray contains the same features.

Just finished the movie and it really couldn't have ended better.  Definitely something I will be rewatching over and over again...John was just absolutely one of the best characters ever.

Well summed up Maxwell, you make me want to go watch it again.