Topic: Can some people give me some suggestions?

I've realised the one thing that is scaring me lately is a good ghost story. Shutter, Insidious and a segment from the excellent new V/H/S have all given me scares. Wether it be a haunted house, Haunted camera or haunted child I am loving the ones with unfinished business at the moment. So can anyone suggest me something scary? Found footage welcome wink

Re: Can some people give me some suggestions?

the latest one i saw that was pretty good was " grave Encounters" ultra. i also love " A Haunting In Connecticutt " but seem to be in the minority. xx

Oh I've seen Haunting in conneticut. "based on true events" right? Will have to rewatch it cause I dn't remember much about it.

Not seen Grave Encounters. Heard nothing but good things.

Heres a list of the scariest movies i have watched within my time of horror

The Descent
Grave encounters
28 Days/Weeks later
Ringu (Jap original)
My first experience of TCM 74
Blair Witch
Rec
Sixth Sense
The alley scene early in the original NOES

Also id recommend

Begotten, a experimental horror film that is supposed to have some truly horrifying imagery.

Session 9 - I didn't find it scary myself but a lot of people say it is very much so. See what u think

Dead Silence - Has quite a creepy vibe in some scenes

Last edited by Vasquez (2012-08-09 06:02:19)

Thanks Vas. I'm looking specifically for ghosts or haunted houses at the moment.

The Descent - Seen it. Loved it.
Grave encounters - see above.
28 Days/Weeks later - seen both of them prefered weeks.
Ringu (Jap original) - I cannot actually remember if I've seen it.
My first experience of TCM 74 - Slasher not really what I'm loooking for but yes. Great movie.
Blair Witch - Seen this a long time ago and it's on my top 20.
Rec - Isn't this a zombie/virus sorta thing?
Sixth Sense - Again, seen this. Not one of my favourites but it's pretty creepy.
The alley scene early in the original NOES - Who hasn't seen NOES? Lol and it is at least my 2nd favourite horror besides Scream.

Muoi: the legend of a portrait
The Pact
Lovely Molly
The Innkeepers

These are the recent ghost stories I've watched that were pretty good. I'll also add another vote for Grave Encounters.

If you like older films you could always try The Amityville Horror (1979), The Changeling (1980) and The Entity.

Last edited by Ms.Gorefiend (2012-08-09 06:06:14)

Sry there Ultra. id say these out of the suggestions id classify as ghosts are

Ringu, definitely
Begotten, maybe

The Changeling (1980) is a good ghost one
Checkout Chinese Ghost Story
The Innocents from 61
The original Thirteen Ghosts
Try The Echo (2004) from the Philippines
Pulse (2001) has some ghost elements to it.

Last edited by Vasquez (2012-08-09 06:29:30)

Thanks. I've added a few to my watch list. (which is now the size of both my arms put together!)

The Begotten I think it was Azzy that told me about it a while back. While I like indie, I don't really get the while thing with this one. The trailer made me feel sick. Not because of the images but because of the style. I never really like experimental and abstract if I'm honest. I'm in the "don't get it" camp when it comes to Eraserhead and the like. I do respect the creators involved with The Begotten. Very interesting and creative style and I can see how much hard work went into it.

The Innocents from 61
The Uninvited from 1944
The Orphanage from 2007
Dark Water (Jap or) from 2002
Carved 2
The Creepy Hide and Seek
Shutter (Jap original)

Last edited by Vasquez (2012-08-09 06:38:53)

Wow thanks! Will be getting on it and will be spending some time on IMDB! Ta.

Also checkout Noroi: The Curse
The Tomb of Ligeia

Last edited by Vasquez (2012-08-09 06:47:06)

there are good suggestions here. don't now how far you want to go back and if you like to watch black & white films but if you want haunted house stuff, you can't do better than

THE Haunting ( 1963) ( not the remake it's crap!)
The Uninvited (1944)
also try The Legend Of Hell House (1973) and Fragile ( a haunted hospital rather than a haunted house)

Also try Photographing a Ghost from 1898 if u can find it. Id guess its on the web somewhere.

Death of a Ghost Hunter has some good creep going on.

azathoth wrote:

Death of a Ghost Hunter has some good creep going on.

yes. good one.

Vasquez wrote:

The Innocents from 61
The Uninvited from 1944
The Orphanage from 2007
Dark Water (Jap or) from 2002
Carved 2
The Creepy Hide and Seek
Shutter (Jap original)

BTW Shutter is Thai and my reasoning for seeking more ghost stories out smile

I've put Pulse, The Orphanage and Dark water on the list to definately watch the others will bare in mind smile

You've obviously seen all 3 Paranormal Activities right?
Poltergeist?
1408?

I'm sure you've seen these

Not seen all 3 no. Didn't like the first so didn't really bother with the 2nd or 3rd.
1408 is one I loved. It is Cusack after all wink
I seen Poltergeist some years ago but can't really tell you anything that happened in it so will probably have to give that one a second watch.

Lloyd: "I don't want to sell horror, buy horror, or process horror as a career. I don't want to sell horror bought or processed, or buy horror sold or processed, or process horror sold, bought, or processed, or repair horror sold, bought, or processed. You know, as a career, I don't want to do that. "
big_smile

Last edited by azathoth (2012-08-09 15:05:26)

Has anyone seen this one? The trailer was on my dvd I picked up, it looks pretty good, but I dunno.
A Haunting In Salem (2011)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1912981/

azathoth wrote:

Lloyd: "I don't want to sell horror, buy horror, or process horror as a career. I don't want to sell horror bought or processed, or buy horror sold or processed, or process horror sold, bought, or processed, or repair horror sold, bought, or processed. You know, as a career, I don't want to do that. "
big_smile

Eh!?

UltraViolence wrote:

I've realised the one thing that is scaring me lately is a good ghost story. Shutter, Insidious and a segment from the excellent new V/H/S have all given me scares. Wether it be a haunted house, Haunted camera or haunted child I am loving the ones with unfinished business at the moment. So can anyone suggest me something scary? Found footage welcome wink

I don't have anything to add but I just hope your Shutter is the Thailand original cause I really like that flick. The remake was nowhere near as haunting IMO!

And Dead, nope I never seen that one.

azathoth wrote:

big_smile

Well theres always male prostitution.... maybe that will tickle yur monkey balls roll

wolfman1959 wrote:
azathoth wrote:

big_smile

Eh!?

Wolfie, I take it you're not a John Cusack fan...? lol

Vasquez wrote:

Also checkout Noroi: The Curse

I found that one to be terrifying; didn't get a good night sleep after.