Re: Horror movie top ten list - Jaws is number one!?

I cant even do a proper top 30.  A top 10 is almost impossible. Here i go though

1. Day of the Dead
2. TCM 74
3. The Wolf Man (1941)
4. The Devils Backbone
5. Aliens
6. Battle Royale
7. Eyes without a Face
8. Near Dark
9. I Saw The Devil
10. Hobo With a Shotgun

This isn't in any particular order and isn't definitive! Just 10 off the top of my head better than that list:

Misery
Saw
Night Of The Living Dead
The Silence Of The Lambs
House of Wax 1953 Original
28 Days Later
Halloween
Black Christmas
Texas Chainsaw Massacre
Suspiria
Changeling

Edit: Yeah that's 11. I can't count, apparently.

Last edited by HorrorQueen17 (2012-05-25 19:11:11)

The dead living wrote:

What do you guys think about this horror movie top ten list?

I think I have only like 3 of them in my top 50 :S

I don't believe I've properly said 'hello' by the way. Thanks for sparking some good horror talk with one of your first posts.

Welcome to the forums! smile

^^
Me and you both, HQ- I did 11, also, lol .

Browsing through everyone's lists is an easy way to stitch together a top 100 list.

And this reminds me- where did they get that Hill Have Eyes (remake) used the most blood?  Did they not see 'Evil Dead 2' or 'Dead Alive'?  I'd love to see their source for that factoid.

That is an absolutely horrible list.  I'm not a fan of making mine into lists because after a certain point, it's hard to boil down a top 50 list.

I use top 10 lists to find films I've not seen. I go through the list, filling in imdb search bars for those I haven't seen and adding them to a watch list.

My favourites in no particular order are:

Evil dead.
Battle royale
30 days of night.
Dawn of the dead.
Nightmare on elm street.
Psycho.
Shaun of the dead.
Alien
Tucker and dale vs evil.
The omen.

Alien is one of the scariest movies of all time.  It is definitely a horror/sci fi

Top 10

TCM
Carrie
Halloween OG
Nightmare on Elm St OG
Suspiria
Phantasm
Scream 1
Poltergeist
Alien
Night of The Living Dead

Last edited by PrinceofDarkness (2012-06-03 22:55:52)

Jaws is unquestionably the best film in any genre i have seen in my life so far but i do sometimes have doubts about calling it a horror film sometimes it is, sometimes it isn't depending on my attitude at the time, that aside it is still a fucking great classic of a film. taking "jaws" out of the equation. here are my top 10 horror films at the moment.

1. Dawn Of The Dead ( 1978)
2. Day Of The Dead (1985)
3.Salem's Lot (1979)
4.The Omen (1976)
5.The Exorcist (1973)
6.Pet Semetery (1989)
7. Black Sabbath (1963)
8.THe Whip And The Body(1963) 
9.Alien (1979)
10.The Haunting (1963)

I like the "Is Jaws horror" question.  If you're not a fan of the ocean, like me, then hell yes.  If you're a shark freak, like Vampy, then hell no (do you know how much shark stuff I get to watch during 'Shark Week'?). 
Like Wolfy just said above, it's all subjective and your mindset at the time while watching.
But really, if you want true shark horror, you need to watch Sharktopus.
http://scripts.mit.edu/~jasonku/img/sharktopus1_2.jpg

I love the movie Jaws, and I'm terrified and fascinated by sharks in equal measure. They really scare me, but I watch loads of documentaries & shows on them, I can't help myself. It's not so much watching them on screen that is scary, just the thought that they are there, unseen in the ocean, you don't know what's underneath you when you're swimming! I don't like that.

Tough one to call though, whether it's horror or not. I'm leaning towards not I think

Jaws terrified me as a child! Still terrifies me, jaws and Jurassic park are the only films I switch off because they royally scare the shit out of me! To me they are horror movies and if I did a list based othe most scariest films for me theyd me at the top but they don't entertain me because they scare me too much. Sounds pathetic really but dinosaurs and sharks are my greatest fear.

Was not very happy with 'Jaws' being number one. I personally believe it is less a horror film and more a seafaring adventure.

Didn't catch this thread first time around because I wasn't here, but just took a look at the linked list.  I spit on it. *ptui*

Looking back at the first page, my thoughts:

Alien -- a monster lurking in the dark, killing unsuspecting victims in a sprawling yet confined location with all manner of nooks and crannies to hide in: definitely horror.  The sequels, not at all.

Jaws -- an aquaphobic sheriff sets to sea to capture a great white shark.  Thriller?  Yes.  Horror?  No.

IMO.  As for my top ten list:

10.   Night of the Living Dead
9.     Day of the Dead
8.     Tenebre
7.     Return of the Living Dead
6.     Texas Chainsaw Massacre
5.     Evil Dead 1 & 2 (I rate them even)
4.     The Thing '82
3.     The Exorcist
2.     Halloween
1.     Dawn of the Dead

The bottom five could change depending on my mood, but the top five are pretty much set in stone.

Once again, Lon has no fear of sharks because he rides them around his bedroom in the morning while eating his bowl of Lucky Charms©.  Probably naked, but this hasn't been confirmed.

Lon is the Chuck Norris of the shark world.

Their dorsal fins feel really good rubbing against my crotchal region.  They're all "Dude, get off of me," and I'm all, "No way."  Silly sharks.  As if they can do anything about it...

^^ crotchal? lol

Yeah.  It's a technical term. big_smile

I'm not even gonna look at that list. whats the point? if it was someone here i'd take a boo

^^
Scroll up a few posts and you can see Lon typing "shark" and "crotchal region" in the same sentence.

azathoth wrote:

^^
Scroll up a few posts and you can see Lon typing "shark" and "crotchal region" in the same sentence.

well that made my evening az... not sure what it made into but made it for shurly!!!

well that horny dude with the shark dorsel fin in his crotchal region has made me go roll