Re: The Science-y Stuff Thread

Just watched a new science show about megaflares.  Some rather scary stuff.  Pulsars only ranked 3rd.  Magnetar (think neutron star but with more magnetic power rather than gravity) starquakes were 2nd.  The entire star is made of material that weighs about a billion tons per teaspoon.  Now imagine a magnitude 30 starquake shifting that around- the only reason we discovered these guys was because of one these events.  But don't worry, if I ever enters our solar system, it'll wipe out all electronics.  By the time is get to Jupiter distance from us, it's be pulling all of the iron out of your blood, ala Magneto. 

#1 was a blue giant star from 7.5 billion years ago that imploded into a black hole, shooting out 2 gamma ray bursts from the poles in doing so.  It was so bright, that when the burst finally got to earth, it could be seen by the naked eye... after traveling 7.5 billion light years.  Essentially, take our sun, throw and anti-matter sun at it, and release all that energy in 2 seconds in 2 directed bursts.  Or, as the one guy said, if one happened within 100 light years of the Earth, it would be the equivalent of setting off

Just watched a new science show about megaflares.  Some rather scary stuff.  Pulsars only ranked 3rd.  Magnetar (think neutron star but with more magnetic power rather than gravity) starquakes were 2nd.  The entire star is made of material that weighs about a billion tons per teaspoon.  Now imagine a magnitude 30 starquake shifting that around- the only reason we discovered these guys was because of one these events.  But don't worry, if I ever enters our solar system, it'll wipe out all electronics.  By the time is gets to Jupiter distance from us, it's be pulling all of the iron out of your blood, ala Magneto. 

#1 was a blue giant star from 7.5 billion years ago that imploded into a black hole, shooting out 2 gamma ray bursts from the poles in doing so.  It was so bright, that when the burst finally got to earth, it could be seen by the naked eye... after traveling 7.5 billion light years.  It's considered to be the biggest explosion since the Big Bang (sigh, they just don't make stars like they used to).  Essentially, take our sun, throw an anti-matter sun at it, and release all that energy in 2 seconds in 2 directed bursts.  Or, as the one guy said, if one happened within 100 light years of the Earth, it would be the equivalent of setting off a 1 Megaton nuke over every 1 square mile of the Earth.  At the same time.

But the actual most dangerous flare comes from our own sun.  We're lucky for 2 reasons- 1) we have a magnetic field (which is weaker than your refrigerator magnet, but good enough, and 2) we haven't got hit by a mega-coronal mass ejection.  A Saturn-sized CME would spank us badly.

Isn't the universe fun!  big_smile

Last edited by azathoth (2012-08-05 04:42:46)

And 'Through the Wormhole' with Morgan Freeman® goes and blow out my mind again.

OK, a recap- about a year or so ago, we debated when time started, and whether time and matter are related, and if time is just a construct of intelligent beings.  If you're interested, go back and read some of the previous entries.

Tonight's program is "Will Eternity End?"  Think about that for a few minutes, and if your brain is running down the street screaming at you, here are some of the ideas.

1) Time really isn't important, it's distance/space. 

2) With the uncertainty principle, how do we even know if things have happened, or when.

3) If the universe implodes, rebounds, or goes through heat death, does time keep going, or does it reboot.

4) Multiverse theory- is time considered over all of the universes?  Just ours?  Just ones with sentient beings?

5) Can a  multiverse ever cease to exist?

6) Say everything is reduced to a zero-energy state.  But we know that there is zero-energy actions where particles can just pop out of a vacuum.  So does time cease to exist in this odd quantum flux of nothing that has stuff pop up once in a while just to give the finger to the vacuum?

7) We're not every sure if baryons (i.e. protons) will even ever decay.  So if just some particles are just floating about, is time still a thing?

8) Light waves don't dissipate unless they hit something, so if they're just running out there expanding the universe, do their watches stop running at some point?

9) (and we covered this before)  In quantum equations, time is normally not a factor, but is usually ignored because it messes with the Standard Model.

10)  And then there is the guy that is espousing the holographic time theory.  Essentially, the further away from the "holograph" (i.e. time) you are, the less initial information you understand.

11) OK, one guy just is comparing time to the sport of curling.  ??? I got lost here.

12) And there is a guy who thinks that observed particles transmit information to the past.  Think Schroedinger's cat, but it kills your cat not because you opened the box, but because you opened the box in the future.  Then they did some entanglement experiments on individual particles that showed an affect on current particles when in the future they did something with other entangled particles.  Yeah, I'm still lost.

13) And then is just got weird.  Let's just say one guy calculated (yes, calculated) that if we understand 10^-10^-29th percent of the universe, we'll collapse the universe into one big black hole.

Hope you enjoyed.  smile

I hear they're working on the idea that travelling faster than the speed of light is less about propulsion and more about bending space like a piece of bread until one side (where you want to go) is touching the other side (where you start from).

Smartest I've got. lol

^^
Popular ideas in many sci-fi books for decades.  Now they just want to build it.  "Hey honey, it the middle of the warping my penis is actually 3 light years long!"  "And yet somehow, it still doesn't do anything for me" Ba-zing!

Shows you what I know.  I'm ridiculously knowledgeable in some things and a complete and utter moron in others. lol

I have been meaning to watch the Morgan Freeman Wormhole show (that sounds weird, stop laughn Lon!!)

^^
It's really good and covers a lot of subjects; some don't interest me so much, so I skip some.  Plus, I am convinced that watching any informational show/movie narrated by Morgen Freeman gives you +5 IQ automatically!

It's his voice.  You just immediately buy everything he says.  Dude could do a voice over for turd sandwiches and say "They taste so good, you'll want to shoot your own mother" and my ass would head straight to the gun shop.

Ooh ooh!   Do you think he does exorcisms?  We could hire him for souldoom!  Maybe send it down to the penguins?

Hm.  An interesting question.  I'm not sure -- would his posts carry the same convincing tone as his voice? 

OOH!  IDEA!

Meh needs to come up with some audio program thingie that would allow others to hear posts in the author's own voice.   If he could do that, I think the Morgan Freeman exorcism thing just might work.

What if he just puts up an autorun YouTube vid at the top of the site with Morgan?  I think we're missing one important point though- none of us knows him and we're not wealthy enough to hire him.  sad

Well, as you probably know, I'm what you would call a "minimally successful" screenwriter.  I'm sure I could whip out an Oscar-caliber screenplay to entice him.

Sha, right.  And if a frog had wings it wouldn't bump its ass when it hopped.

Write it up as a documentary and have Lee direct it!  I'll toss in the monkeys for that "earthy" feel.  How could it possibly fail?  How am I typing this without being insanely drunk?

there is no time
there is only meat

http://i.chzbgr.com/completestore/2012/2/8/ee2e3952-a1a9-41fd-a22c-d0986e51b04b.gif

^^
You find some awesome gifs!

Also reminds me that I have another science show DVR'd about erratic-orbit planets/stars/asteroids to watch.

Nice little science study.... not to brag but I get all that but I doubt soul_doom understood squat. A puppet and I'm his master but I cut the strings awhile back so what!!!

^^
I don't know what you mean, but he wants a hug-

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_Hbo7Ung0Hbg/TRe1Ej6hslI/AAAAAAAABe4/ZyHUvgTyRk4/s1600/happy-monkey.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v93/loudlon/Animated/Bobotakesthelead.gif

^^
Huh, I didn't know you kept that video.  Wasn't that the day we took out 189 drugs dealers with tooth picks and Superglue?

188, dude.  I keep telling you that Biggie Smalls didn't count as two, I don't care how fat he was.

SOULDOOM

http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20120618050224/theamazingworldofgumball/images/d/df/Big_balls_std1.jpg

@Lon- after the first dozen scumbags, I tend to lose count... sad

science will not save you