Topic: Made-for-TV Horror

I'm on the hunt for some good titles. I recently watched a few of the old 70's tv movies and had forgotten how good some of them are. Granted they are very light on gore and have no nudity, but I noticed they make up for that with a spooky score, good atmosphere and clever twists. Of course they aren't all forgotten gems, but I'm not having an easy time compiling a list. Please give me some suggestions for new or old, doesn't matter to me.

Here's an example of some I've been able to snag off youtube or watch on Netflix:

Satan's School for Girls (1973)
Someone's Watching Me! (1978)
The Initiation of Sarah (1978)
The House That Would Not Die (1970)
Are You in the House Alone? (1978)

I've only seen The Initiation, the rest are on my watch list so I really have no idea if they're any good.

Last edited by Ms.Gorefiend (2012-08-11 17:03:43)

Re: Made-for-TV Horror

Only a few immediately come to mind...

Gargoyles (1972)
Dark Night of the Scarecrow (1981)
The Shining (1997)
Intensity (1997)
Frankenstein: The True Story (1973)

I've seen The Stand and It, but didn't like either, hence my lack of recommendation.  Otherwise, I've not seen a great many made-for-TV horror flicks, which is why this list is so short. lol

Oops!  A couple more:

Jack the Ripper (1988)
The Woman in Black (1989)

Re: Made-for-TV Horror

Thanks! Those are great, Lon. I've seen Dark Night of the Scarecrow. It's a personal favorite. I've yet to see the original Woman in Black. I'd forgotten it was made for tv. I'll have to check out the others.

Re: Made-for-TV Horror

The Midnight Hour is another pretty good made for t.v. horror comedy from the 80's. I belive you can watch it on YouTube.

Edit: Almost forgot about My Super Psycho Sweet Sixteen and it's sequel that came on MTV a couple of years back. They were both pretty good slasher movies.

Last edited by Suspiria_89 (2012-08-11 17:48:11)

Re: Made-for-TV Horror

Lon, those are some of my favourites!  Gargoyles, The Woman in Black, and frankenstein the True story.


Here are some others that were good:

When Michael Calls
Salem's Lot (obviously one of the best ones)
Both Kolchak movies: The Night Stalker
Trilogy of Terror
Bad Ronald
Don't be Afraid of the Dark
Crowhaven Farm

Re: Made-for-TV Horror

A Cold Nights Death ( 1973)
Don't Go To Sleep (1982) 
Curse Of The Black Widow
Chiller

Re: Made-for-TV Horror

DirtyGirl wrote:

Salem's Lot (obviously one of the best ones)
Both Kolchak movies: The Night Stalker
Trilogy of Terror

Doy.  Totally slipped my mind.

Re: Made-for-TV Horror

I have been watching horror tv series lately, watching survivors 2008 now, pretty nice selection if you dig a little.

Re: Made-for-TV Horror

Salem's Lot and Someone's Watching Me are the only two that I can really think of as far as 70s go.  Salem's Lot is pretty funking great.  Most of the Stephen King made for TV mini series are worth watching minus the most recent

Re: Made-for-TV Horror

doc_notter wrote:

I have been watching horror tv series lately, watching survivors 2008 now, pretty nice selection if you dig a little.

I've seen Survivors, so upset they cancelled that. Loved that show.

Re: Made-for-TV Horror

One of my favorites is the haunted from 1991.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcLZleMNRZ8

Re: Made-for-TV Horror

Dark night of the scarecrow is one of my favorites, not that scary when I rewatched it though lol.  I am a huge fan of the original dark shadows so I loved Dan Curtis' Trilogy of terror, but also loved the 90's version.  Masters of horror was also a great show.

Re: Made-for-TV Horror

I enjoy pretty much all of the Stephen King adaptions. I also liked The Midnight Hour, its a fun 80's film with some great original songs.

Re: Made-for-TV Horror

Excluding all the various stephen king tv projects. Too many of them.

William's shatner the horror at 37,000 feet (1973) (great atmospheric horror at the time  , shatner seemed to have an afinity for horror in planes)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sL9VhF8M1NM

Dead of night anthology (1977) (the last tale Bobby was very memorable at the time , was remake in the trilogy of terror II)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1xGIlbBp38

Intruders (1992) (about alien/UFO abduction , based on "true" stories)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0ycP2zsYXw

The McPherson tape - Incident at Lake County (1998) (the original blair witch!)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUgRCPKP1jg

A haunting in Connecticut (a docu drama about the famous haunting (2002)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CIzoRPXors

When a stranger calls back (1993) (the tv sequel to the movie "when a stranger calls") written and directed by the same people who made the movie.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycsbZqBoqiM

Last edited by fmvgamer (2012-08-12 06:59:11)

Re: Made-for-TV Horror

Citizen X (1985) True account of serial killer Andrei Chikatilo
The Woman in Black (1989) Without Harry Potter
Stephen King's It (1990) Classic
Threads (1984) Not really horror but scary enough

Re: Made-for-TV Horror

The only ones i have seen are Salem's Lot and the Stand. I though Salem's lot was pretty impressive. I especially like the set design inside Marsten's house which created a great, ominous atmosphere. The Stand however was totally miscast, poorly directed and the script was poorly adapted from the novel. Just overall poor.

Last edited by Vasquez (2012-08-12 09:34:34)

Re: Made-for-TV Horror

jrs1991 wrote:

One of my favorites is the haunted from 1991.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcLZleMNRZ8


Watched the Haunted this morning....not bad, it reminded me of a cross between Amityville and The Entity.  But sadly, not quite as good as either one of those movies.  It was nice seeing Jeffrey DeMunn (Dale) from Walking Dead when he was younger though!  smile

Re: Made-for-TV Horror

fmvgamer wrote:

Excluding all the various stephen king tv projects. Too many of them.

William's shatner the horror at 37,000 feet (1973) (great atmospheric horror at the time  , shatner seemed to have an afinity for horror in planes)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sL9VhF8M1NM

Dead of night anthology (1977) (the last tale Bobby was very memorable at the time , was remake in the trilogy of terror II)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1xGIlbBp38

Intruders (1992) (about alien/UFO abduction , based on "true" stories)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0ycP2zsYXw

The McPherson tape - Incident at Lake County (1998) (the original blair witch!)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUgRCPKP1jg

A haunting in Connecticut (a docu drama about the famous haunting (2002)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CIzoRPXors

When a stranger calls back (1993) (the tv sequel to the movie "when a stranger calls") written and directed by the same people who made the movie.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycsbZqBoqiM


Dead of Night was a pretty good anthology, the last segment was pretty creepy!  worth the watch for sure!



Ms. Gore-  Just thought of another good one starring Karen Black called "The Strange Possession of Mrs. Oliver"

Re: Made-for-TV Horror

^^ I just watched that last night. I really enjoyed it, great twist!

Re: Made-for-TV Horror

I found a whole youtube channel devoted to tv movies!  I am pretty sure I watched Crowhaven Farm here...

http://www.youtube.com/user/TVTERRORLAND?feature=watch


Crawlspace was weird but very good!  Who is the Black Dahlia was just so-so.

Last edited by DirtyGirl (2012-08-12 10:16:55)

Re: Made-for-TV Horror

DirtyGirl wrote:

I found a whole youtube channel devoted to tv movies!  I am pretty sure I watched Crowhaven Farm here...

http://www.youtube.com/user/TVTERRORLAND?feature=watch


Crawlspace was weird but very good!  Who is the Black Dahlia was just so-so.

have you seen cold night's death, mary? pretty good.

Re: Made-for-TV Horror

The Dark Secret Of Harvest Home (1978) Bette Davis rules!!!

Gargoyles  (1972) I had a crush on Scott Glenn in this movie

Something Evil (1972) Directed by Steven Spielberg

Re: Made-for-TV Horror

wolfman1959 wrote:
DirtyGirl wrote:

I found a whole youtube channel devoted to tv movies!  I am pretty sure I watched Crowhaven Farm here...

http://www.youtube.com/user/TVTERRORLAND?feature=watch


Crawlspace was weird but very good!  Who is the Black Dahlia was just so-so.

have you seen cold night's death, mary? pretty good.


Not yet, I will add it to my long list to watch

Re: Made-for-TV Horror

I feel stupid for having forgotten it until now, but you should also give the made-for-TV flick Duel a try.  Starring Dennis Weaver, written by Richard Matheson, directed by Stephen Spielberg.

Re: Made-for-TV Horror

jrs1991 wrote:

One of my favorites is the haunted from 1991.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcLZleMNRZ8

Thanks for the link!