Re: Last Documentary You Watched?

It's moments like this which make me glad I have YouTubeRipper. lol

Yes, indeed!

Never Sleep Again. The most intriguing, interesting, and engaging doc ive seen on a horror series for a long time, in part because the lively, informative and engaging interviews with all those involved with the NOES franchise. I'd highly recommend it even if the NOES franchise isn't one of ur favourites in the horror genre.

The BBC version of Top 100 Scariest Movie moments and Master of Horror.

Still Screaming: The Ultimate Scary Movie Retrospective.  Documentary on the Scream franchise.  "Ultimate" isn't really accurate; more like "detailed, but still a lot of stuff left out".  A decent watch but far from all-inclusive.

Screaming in High Heels: The Rise and Fall of the Scream Queen Era (2011).  Informative and entertaining doc about the Holy Triumvirate of Scream Queens: Brinke Stevens, Michelle Bauer and Linnea Quigley, covering both the origins of the term "scream queen" and going on to further define it as it pertains to these three b-movie faves, as well as covering the "death" of b-movie scream queens.

One thing I really appreciated about the doc -- along with the filmmakers giving a shout out to some current scream queens (Debbie Rochon, Tiffany Shepis and a couple others) -- was how they draw a line between those actresses featured and those who would dare call themselves "scream queens".  As they clearly and quite accurately point out in this flick, you've got to earn that title, and nobody has earned it like Stevens/Bauer/Quigley.  Although, it would have been nice to see Kathleen Kinmont get a shout-out, but, you can't win 'em all.

At any rate, a pretty decent documentary with interviews featuring the three ladies, plus filmmakers Stephen Decoteau, Fred Olen Ray and several others.

Resurrect Dead: The Toynbee Tiles.  For something so simple, it's really funky.  To the point that I'm wondering if it's a real documentary or a mixture of docu & fiction.  Assuming it's all real, it's some weird doo-doo.

The fact that I know a about a lot of the places and some of the people in the film makes it a tad more funky.  I've probably driven over a bunch of those tiles.

Everyone else probably won't get the same type of chills, since it isn't as close to home as it is to me, but I thought it was a nice, spooky docu.

I DLed that after you mentioned it during Movie Night several months ago but I have yet to watch it.  It definitely seems interesting, I just never seem to get around to it. hmm

By the way, ATTENTION FOLKS!  I'm always on the look-out for good horror-themed documentaries and would love some suggestions.  In all likelihood I've probably already seen any you might come up with, but hey, you never know.  Feel free to drop me some titles if you have any. smile

^^
Have you seen the Video Nasties one we were talking about the other day?  I can't remember.

and now I'll just throw out whatever I can find-

From our own halls, Top Ten Neflix docus

A list of 344 (!!!) horror documentaries listed on IMDB

Some guy's playlist of reviews of various horror documentaries.

A goldfish (just checkin' to see if you're paying attention.

Another list of docus, with video.

One that I think has some different docus that the above.  Looks interesting.

Maybe you'll find something new in those.  ? 
If so, you owe me an iced tea, with lemon.

^ Wow...that really is a goldfish!  big_smile

^^
Ghosty- you're the one that told me the Toynbee Tiles was on Netflix, correct?  Thanks, loved it.  Talked about it a few posts above.

azathoth wrote:

^^
Have you seen the Video Nasties one we were talking about the other day?  I can't remember.

and now I'll just throw out whatever I can find-

From our own halls, Top Ten Neflix docus

A list of 344 (!!!) horror documentaries listed on IMDB

Some guy's playlist of reviews of various horror documentaries.

A goldfish (just checkin' to see if you're paying attention.

Another list of docus, with video.

One that I think has some different docus that the above.  Looks interesting.

Maybe you'll find something new in those.  ? 
If so, you owe me an iced tea, with lemon.

Yep, I've seen (and have had on my PC for over a year now) Video Nasties: The Definitive Guide.  As a matter of fact:

Netflix link: I've seen all except the Aussie movie doc

344 documentaries link: obviously I'll have to go over that one

youtube guy's playlist: seen 'em all (and still have half of them on my PC)

Cute fish.

gunaxin link: seen 'em all (most were actually DVD bonus docs)

supermarcey link: seen all but the first one, which I've been trying to DL for a while now.  There are just never enough seeders. hmm

I'll give the list of 344 a good going over, but after a quick skim nothing new seems to be popping out.  If I can find a good one on there, I'll think about getting you that iced tea. big_smile

azathoth wrote:

^^
Ghosty- you're the one that told me the Toynbee Tiles was on Netflix, correct?  Thanks, loved it.  Talked about it a few posts above.

Yeah I did tell you that, but I only looked it up after reading a post from you where you wrote about it...so it all kinda came full circle.  I saw what you wrote, and that's cool you are familiar with some of the places the tiles have been found.  That would make it more interesting.  I thought it was pretty good too.

One documentary I wish I could find was one whose title eludes me; it was a multi-episode doc on horror with each episode covering a different genre (demons, witchcraft, vampires, etc) and I believe it was narrated by either Keith David or Paul Winfield, but IMDB shows nothing like that for either of them.  This would have been around the early-mid'00s, and it was one of those doc-heavy channels like A&E, or Bravo, or Discovery Channel or something like that. 

If anybody knows the one I'm talking about, spill.

One by Mark Gatiss.  Probably not it.

I doubt this is it, it's all Canadian.

Sorry bro, that's all I could come up with.

I have the one by Mark Gatiss, and as for the other one, definitely not it.  I'm really wanting to say it was the History Channel, and I'm positive it was Keith David.  Maybe he did it uncredited, I don't know.  But I remember it aired one year around Halloween season and I fell asleep during a marathon of the series, and I believe it was around '04 or so, around the same time Bravo's 100 Scariest Movie Moments was airing.  But I can't find squat on it, either.  hmm

Maybe this?  Mystery Quest on History Chanel.

LoudLon wrote:

One documentary I wish I could find was one whose title eludes me; it was a multi-episode doc on horror with each episode covering a different genre (demons, witchcraft, vampires, etc) and I believe it was narrated by either Keith David or Paul Winfield, but IMDB shows nothing like that for either of them.  This would have been around the early-mid'00s, and it was one of those doc-heavy channels like A&E, or Bravo, or Discovery Channel or something like that. 

It's not 100 Years of Horror, is it? 100 Years of Horror (Video 1996) It's split into segments based on things like vampires, Frankenstein, werewolves etc.

I watched Cropsey yesterday. Creepy, real life horror. The footage from the hospital was almost too much.

^^
The one set in/around Staten Island?  I also found that one to be creepy.

Friday the 13th ISNT scary!

azathoth wrote:

^^
The one set in/around Staten Island?  I also found that one to be creepy.

That's the one.

Ms.Gorefiend wrote:
LoudLon wrote:

It's not 100 Years of Horror, is it? 100 Years of Horror (Video 1996) It's split into segments based on things like vampires, Frankenstein, werewolves etc.

Nope, I've seen those.  This would have been 6-8 years ago and again, it was narrated by Keith David (narrated -- not hosted by, you never see him in the show).

For all of the bazillion things he's done, I can't find it.

^^^ This is what I'm saying!  Keith David has that really distinct voice, so I KNOW it was him narrating, which is why I think perhaps he did it uncredited because there's no mention of it on his IMDB credit list.