Re: Found Footage Films

Hey guys been watching this thread as a reference for a good while now.  I gotta say that my list topper thus far is Grave Encounters, loved it and have watched it several times now, I like the spooky and unknown rather than serial killer/snuff FF movies.
But I come delivering good news, I have found V/H/S!  Not sure if I'm allowed to post links in the thread so I wont for now, I've found it streaming online and a torrent, cant validate the torrent just yet though but I will know in about another hour or 2.  In the meantime, check out another one called

not sure why my whole post didnt show?  the movie i was gonna say is -
A Question Mark
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlwBTxbC7KQ

its a bollywood FF movie, was pretty decent.  I watched it with subtitles as the actors jump in and out of english the entire movie

Hi spaceboots.  We do not allow posting of torrent links, though the streaming one is a bit more complicated.  It's a legal thing, so if it's not legal- don't post it.  Saying something is on Netflix, Lovefilm, or YouTube  is fine, saying you can get a stream from "Bob's Piracy Woodshack" isn't.

I appreciate your enthusiasm for the genre and wanting to spread the info, but getting HM in trouble wouldn't do anyone any good.  Hope you hang around and enjoy the site!  big_smile

As for your post getting cut off, it's just some random error that happens to everyone once is a while.

Last edited by azathoth (2012-08-13 10:32:28)

Hey azathoth, thanks for the heads up!  Had a feeling not to post any links lol...gonna check out V/H/S tonight and I'll post a mini review afterwards to confirm if its worth the hype and anticipation.  I'll also be posting another list of FF movies that havent been mentioned in the thread as of yet.

V/H/S was one of my most anticipated movies this year, and happily, it did not disapoint.  I really enjoyed it, but I know there are some who were less enthused about it.

Been skimming through the thread but has anyone found something along the lines of the quality of Grave Encounters (thought it was fantastic), Noroi: The Curse or the Paranormal Activity series?

Hmm what others are good. Blair Witch Project, of course. [REC], Trollhunter (though wasn't a horror to me). Watched the Poughkeepsie Tapes recently, decent enough as well.

I think it's an okay subgenre, I just find it difficult to search my way through it since there seems to be a lot of crap.

^^
There is one called Cropsy, though it's more of a documentary, but still rather creepy.

Some people liked The Last Excorcism," though I'm not a big fan. 
Death of A Ghost Hunter I liked.
June 9 isn't bad.  Not great, but I enjoyed.

I'll try to think of some more for you.

Two of the more recent ones that I really enjoyed were Evidence (2011) and Apartment 143.

The new FF movie "the dinosaur project" looks interesting. It's out in the uk now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYBASC9O35Y

Thanks for the suggestions Azathoth, looking to watch some of those soon.

alien25 wrote:

Two of the more recent ones that I really enjoyed were Evidence (2011) and Apartment 143.

Also I'll check out those, thanks.

Last edited by Chomper (2012-08-15 11:02:36)

I probably mentioned it 20 pages ago, but The Last Broadcast and the St. Franciseville Experment both came out around the time of Blair Witch.  I just note that because issues on which was developed, filmed, re-filmed, re-done, etc first.

But LB and FE are above average and worth a look in your spare time.

Watched Cropsey last night, pretty good documentary. That '70s footage of the institute was disturbing.

alien25 wrote:

both of these were pretty good, evidence was a refreshing surprise.

Chomper wrote:

Been skimming through the thread but has anyone found something along the lines of the quality of Grave Encounters (thought it was fantastic), Noroi: The Curse or the Paranormal Activity series?

Hmm what others are good. Blair Witch Project, of course. [REC], Trollhunter (though wasn't a horror to me). Watched the Poughkeepsie Tapes recently, decent enough as well.

I think it's an okay subgenre, I just find it difficult to search my way through it since there seems to be a lot of crap.

If you like Noroi , you might want to check out the director other "found footage" movies.

Occult (about the survivor of a random attack by a stranger who started to see strange things and patterns all around him and this filmmaker that was interested and wanted him to film these things he's seeing)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TuwPScbBgE

Shirome (about this teen idol group in japan , teenage girls wanting to be famous and being led to this abandoned school where supposely an ancient altar for a demon/god shirome dwells and they can ask it for a favor and if they are sincere in their request , he/it will grant them what they wanted )
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbTf3IpGHxk

fmv, layng down the 'ledge.

That's supposed to be short for "knowledge."  Trying to make it a thing.

LoudLon wrote:

fmv, layng down the 'ledge.

That's supposed to be short for "knowledge."  Trying to make it a thing.

Erm , thanks i suppose. smile

Was thinking of watching the wicksboro incident , any good ? Anyone ?

Pretty cheap, even for an FF flick, but it's not completely worthless.  I'd give it a 2 out of 4.

Watched The Last Broadcast, was decent, not sure how I felt about the ending though.

^ The ending ruined it for me.  I still thought it was worth seeing though, if only because of its important place in FF history.

^ Agreed, still a good watch.

Just finished Evidence (2011), really enjoyed it. Was surprised by it.

And thanks fmvgamer for those suggestions, getting onto those soon!

Just watched Evidence after seeing everyone giving it a good review on here pretty good I am not a big fan of ff but that was really well done best ff I have watched this year, but sadly yet to have watched V/H/S

Cant wait to see V/H/S

^^
Takes a bit to get going, but once it does it's quite nice.  I could've gone with another 20 minutes on the back end, cut some of the front end off.

JJ wrote:

Just watched Evidence after seeing everyone giving it a good review on here pretty good I am not a big fan of ff but that was really well done best ff I have watched this year, but sadly yet to have watched V/H/S

I thought V/H/S had some good moments, I liked the idea and overall it was pretty good but I liked Evidence more. That last half is balls to the wall crazy!

Last edited by ChainSaW80 (2012-08-17 22:47:03)

azathoth wrote:

^^
Takes a bit to get going, but once it does it's quite nice.  I could've gone with another 20 minutes on the back end, cut some of the front end off.

100% agree, the 5th story was the best for me.  Overall was let down by v/h/s.  Checked out Cropsey tonight and cant say im the biggest fan but thats just me, the documentary style hasnt grabbed me so far but Lake Mungo is on the list to watch, is it any better than Cropsey?