Topic: Happy Dead Elvis Day!!!

Yeah, totally meant to post this yesterday (the 16th) but was too distracted and forgot.  At any rate...

It's the 35th anniversary of the death of one Elvis Aaron Presley, aka The King of Rock and Roll, aka just plain The King.  I still remember seeing the news report of his death; it was on my big sister's 7th birthday (yup, her birthday is Elvis' death day).  I would have only been going on six years old, but I remember quite clearly sitting in the living room watching mom decorating for sis's birthday when the news hit, and mom staring blankly at the TV in shock.  It was the same look I know was on my face seventeen years later, when MTV announced Kurt Cobain was dead.

Suffice to say, mom was a big fan so we grew up with Elvis in the house.  My personal favorite EP songs are That's Alright Momma, Suspicious Minds and Hound Dog.  While I much prefer the young skinny Elvis, he did still have some good stuff later in the rhinestone jumpsuit years.

Anybody else here a fan of The King?

Re: Happy Dead Elvis Day!!!

Jean's theme song-

"You look like an angel
Walk like an angel
Talk like an angel
But I got wise

You're the devil in disguise
Oh, yes, you are
The devil in disguise

I thought that I was in heaven
But I was sure surprised
Heaven help me, I didn't see
The devil in your eyes"

Not that I mind, though.  big_smile

Also, pretty much why the Lilo & Stitch soundtrack rocks (Elvis songs, though the Hawaiian kids choir song and this one too (YouTube vids) is amazing, too)  And by the way, have you ever tried to sing a Hawaiian song, even with the lyrics in front of you?  lol

Last edited by azathoth (2012-08-17 00:01:09)

I've never been a big fan, but I do dig his early albums, when he was more about rock 'n' roll music. I remember being in a parade when I was 10, dressed up like Elvis in a one piece with 'sideburns' glued to my face lip-syncing Hound Dog, Jailhouse Rock, and Heartbreak Hotel. We won first place and there's a picture of that hidden away somwhere. Good times.

Although when it comes to 50's rock, I've always been more of a Chuck Berry guy, myself. Still, Elvis had some style and a great voice. RIP Mr. Presley.

azathoth wrote:

And by the way, have you ever tried to sing a Hawaiian song, even with the lyrics in front of you?  lol

Of course.  I was stationed on Oahu for three years. lol

Incidentally, the key to pronouncing native Hawaiian is to remember that you pronounce  every vowel, pause on every apostrophe and pronounce every "w" like a "v."   To wit:

Hawaii = Ha-vye-ee
Waipahu = Vye-pah-hoo
Oahu = Oh-ah-hoo
Humuhumunukunukuapua'a = hoo-moo-hoo-moo-noo-koo-noo-koo-ah-poo-ah-(insert slight pause)-ah.
big_smile

^^
Ah yeah, forgot about your stint over there.  You were probably the inspiration for Stitch!  Very pretty language.

Hearing a native speak it fluently is magical, man.  Seriously.  There are only 13 letters in the Hawaiian alphabet (and the apostrophe is actually one of them -- it's called kina, kona, something like that, I forget lol ) so what you wind up with is a lot of vowel combinations which results in words that literally flow out of the speaker's mouth. 

One piece of advice about speaking Hawaiian, though: if a native asks, "You like beef, bra?"  tell him "No."  He's asking you if you want to fight.

<--- learned that the hard way lol

He's not dead he's in a nursing home.

Burning Love