Topic: Just rented

Dead Girl, House by the Cemetery, Hammer Horror Stories which is 2 discs and like 8 movies, Night Gallery Season 1 disc 1, The Monster Squad, Innerspace, and Super 8.  Saw Super 8 in theaters and was real excited because I'm just a huge fan of E.T, Close Encounters, Goonies, but the child acting had me cringing.  I am finally about to give it another chance.

Dead Girl has me really intrigued since it is a newer Horror movie that is supposed to be pretty darn good.  Monster Squad I have never seen.  It has somehow slipped by me I barely had even heard about it before today...

I have also never seen any of these Hammer Horror Stories.  They include Brides of Dracula, Curse of the Werewolf, Night Creatures, Paranoiac, Kiss of the Vampire, Nightmare, Evil of Frankenstein and Phantom of the Opera.  Can anyone tell me which of these Hammer stories are the best?

I have also given House by the Cemetery a chance before, but it was before I had really enjoyed Suspiria.  I also really enjoyed Stage Fright.

Re: Just rented

Monster Squad has my vote.  Awesome, fun and entertaining movie.  Though it would be a better movie to watch at night.  I'll be curious to know what you think given you like Goonies.  I too was disappointed with Super 8, though overall I liked it.

Definitely will wait till night to basically watch all of these except Innerspace...

You've got me excited for Monster squad

I got House by the Cemetery on bluray eariler in the year and it's such an amazing film, I personally loved it. If you just give it time I'm sure you will grow to like it.

definitely hoping so^

The english Dubbing isn't great though which is a huge problem.  I would rather watch it with it's original audio and english subtitles.

Yeah I'm not a big fan of the English dubbing myself either but beggers can't be choosers, you should check out Demons if you never saw it before. Another great movie.

Ghostseeker wrote:

Monster Squad has my vote.  Awesome, fun and entertaining movie.  Though it would be a better movie to watch at night.  I'll be curious to know what you think given you like Goonies.  I too was disappointed with Super 8, though overall I liked it.

And I like your avatar.  I've been going to sleep to Scooby Doo seasons 1 and 2 a little bit lately and it is of course it is just spectacular.  Goofy as all hell but actually does a nice job at creating a spooky lil atmosphere every episode.

Ghostseeker wrote:

Monster Squad has my vote.  Awesome, fun and entertaining movie.

I'm a big fan of this flick, too.  Loved the idea of taking all the Universal monsters (though they were changed up a bit since this wasn't a Universal flick) and bringing them to modern day.  Definitely has a Spielbergian vibe to it, despite having been writting by Shane Black and directed by Fred "Night of the Creeps" Dekker.

Very entertaining flick, with funny characters, interesting creature design and, of course a wolfman with nards. big_smile

LoudLon wrote:
Ghostseeker wrote:

Monster Squad has my vote.  Awesome, fun and entertaining movie.

I'm a big fan of this flick, too.  Loved the idea of taking all the Universal monsters (though they were changed up a bit since this wasn't a Universal flick) and bringing them to modern day.  Definitely has a Spielbergian vibe to it, despite having been writting by Shane Black and directed by Fred "Night of the Creeps" Dekker.

Very entertaining flick, with funny characters, interesting creature design and, of course a wolfman with nards. big_smile

you make that sound unusual. i have nards or as we English say " Bollocks" smile

PrinceofDarkness wrote:

Dead Girl, House by the Cemetery, Hammer Horror Stories which is 2 discs and like 8 movies, Night Gallery Season 1 disc 1, The Monster Squad, Innerspace, and Super 8.  Saw Super 8 in theaters and was real excited because I'm just a huge fan of E.T, Close Encounters, Goonies, but the child acting had me cringing.  I am finally about to give it another chance.

Dead Girl has me really intrigued since it is a newer Horror movie that is supposed to be pretty darn good.  Monster Squad I have never seen.  It has somehow slipped by me I barely had even heard about it before today...

I have also never seen any of these Hammer Horror Stories.  They include Brides of Dracula, Curse of the Werewolf, Night Creatures, Paranoiac, Kiss of the Vampire, Nightmare, Evil of Frankenstein and Phantom of the Opera.  Can anyone tell me which of these Hammer stories are the best?

I have also given House by the Cemetery a chance before, but it was before I had really enjoyed Suspiria.  I also really enjoyed Stage Fright.

hi Pod! in answer to your Hammer question, in my opinion curse of the werewolf is the best of the bunch on here, night creatures which is not a horror film, is also pretty good, Brides of Dracula, Kiss OF the Vampire, and Paranoiac are ok, Evil Of Frankenstein and Phantom Of The Opera are poor.

PrinceofDarkness wrote:

Here is how I would rank the Hammer Horror and Thrillers: 

Curse of the Werewolf
Brides of Dracula (Lee is not in this one)
Phantom of the Opera
Paranoiac
Night Creatures
The Evil of Frankenstein
Nightmare
Kiss of the Vampire

Have fun with all your rentals smile

Last edited by DirtyGirl (2012-08-19 18:18:47)

Thanks!

Does Netflix count as renting?

I don't know.  I rented these from my campus dvd store though...But yea I guess Netflix counts as renting.

Did you watch any?  What did you think?

Thanks for the compliment on the Av.  smile

Watched Monster Squad and am definitely going to have to purchase it.  One of my favorite movies recently has been Joe Dante's Explorers, and Monster Squad starts off almost the exact same way.  Kid getting picked on, cooler kid saves the day and then is invited to join the club...The scene where the kid and his dad are watching the movie on his roof and very reminiscent of the scene where Ethan Hawke stares at the stars on his roof as well.  Both movies have a Spielbergian feel also...

Movies like Monster Squad are the type that have to be watched over and over again.  Most people who love the film have seen it so many times, and a lot of them also saw it when they were younger.  Luckily, I don't have much problem feeling the nostalgia even though I am 26 years old.  One of the scenes where the mummy was just strolling the streets at night gave me a really damn good feeling.  Just something about it was so perfect.  Same thing with the werewolf running around on the loose. 

Also the homage to the original Frankenstein movie was absolutely classic, as well as the kids walking with Frankenstein. 

I rewatched Super 8 after almost hating it the first time, and liked it a ton more this time.  It did about as good as you can do at bringing back the 80s children adventure feel..

Also loved the final credits where they actually showed the movie the kids made.

I think I'm going to get into some Hammer/House by the Cemetery tonight.

What are some other 80s adventure films based around kids?

Other than Stand By Me, Goonies, E.T, Honey I Shrunk the Kids and the other obvious ones

Last edited by PrinceofDarkness (2012-08-21 12:23:57)

The willies is a really fun 80s anthology with kids.

DirtyGirl wrote:

The willies is a really fun 80s anthology with kids.

Looks very very interesting.  What a cast.  AIiiight.  Very tempted to just up and buy this.

^ You might like this Thread...kinda touches on your sentiment, plus I think there may be some suggestions in it for you.

http://www.horror-movies.ca/Forum/viewt … p?id=29202

Watched House by the Cemetery in it entirety last night.  I got distracted a time or two but It was pretty darn creepy.  I have a feeling with a couple more watches It would really grow on me.

just took back my recent rentals and picked up

The stuff, the Beyond, House, Nightmare City, New York Ripper(fulci), and a Night to Dismember.

I think I am most excited to watch The Stuff, The Beyond, and House.  A Night to Dismember appears to be a pretty bad B Slasher.

New York Ripper is a pretty brutal flick.  Watch for the "razor dragged across the eyeball" scene and prepare to squirm. lol

The Stuff is enjoyable hokum, The Beyond oozes atmosphere and A Night to Dismember is as good as the title suggests.  Haven't seen Nightmare City in, jeez, over twenty years; don't remember a great deal about it.

Put on Nightmare City this afternoon and it just didn't grab me in.  I just need something with a little more character development when it comes to Zombie flicks.  I dno what it is about some of these Italian movies, I just can't get interested.  I have noticed I do like them more now though then when I first started.  Probably going to watch The Stuff or The Beyond tonight.  Or Day of the Dead which I just got in the mail on DVD.

Last edited by PrinceofDarkness (2012-08-22 18:21:39)

Have you tried Lucio Fulci's Zombie (aka Zombi 2)?  That's probably the best spaghetti zombie flick out there, IMO.

LoudLon wrote:

Haven't seen Nightmare City in, jeez, over twenty years; don't remember a great deal about it.

Believe me, your better off...goofy ass movie lol. It did have its moments though.

I think I remember the video box for it...there was a zombie in I think a lower corner, and the make-up looked like he had poop smeared on his face. lol

YES!  I just did an image search on google and I was right.  Poop-faced zombie from Nightmare City:

http://www.horrordvds.com/reviews/n-z/nmcity/nmcity_shot5l.jpg

lol