Topic: What do you think is the worst remake?

So I've been thinking about remakes and what some of the worst ones were, so what do you think is the worst remake?

I'd probably go as far as saying the Black Christmas remake. I thought I was going to vomit when watching it, it was that bad.

Re: What do you think is the worst remake?

Psycho, The Wicker Man, The Haunting, The Fog, The Stepford Wives, Black Christmas, Day of the Dead...take your pick. They're all equally horrid.

Day of the Dead is my definitive and n1 choice . Steve Miner u suck. First u rip off and directly lift a kill of one of my fav movies Bay of Blood and then u horribly remake my top 2 horror film of all time. BLASPHEMY!.

Last edited by Vasquez (2012-08-21 19:04:18)

Ms.Gorefiend wrote:

Psycho, The Wicker Man, The Haunting, The Fog, The Stepford Wives, Black Christmas, Day of the Dead...take your pick. They're all equally horrid.

I think The Wicker Man is actually enjoyable with how bad it is, Black Christmas ain't.

For me, it's Prom Night (2008).

Bad, bad, bad, baaad movie all around. Nothing scary about it, nothing redeeming about it, just all around BAD. Without the 'ass' at the end, too.

This is how lame it is:

Ahh! Get that knife away from me, it's SO gross! And I HATE the smell of Ketchkup."
http://i1261.photobucket.com/albums/ii597/creaturekillswell/PromNight1.jpg

"H-hey, do you like my hat? Do you think it's scary?"
http://i1261.photobucket.com/albums/ii597/creaturekillswell/Promnight3.jpg

"O-M-G. DON'T EVEN TALK TO ME, THAT WAS SO 80 YEARS AGO. Like, Dinosaur age NASTY. And that HAT, Jesus."
http://i1261.photobucket.com/albums/ii597/creaturekillswell/PromNight2.jpg

"S-s-sorry. Is...is it better like this? When I stand b-back in the dark a bit? You can't see my hat now, right?
http://i1261.photobucket.com/albums/ii597/creaturekillswell/PromNight5.jpg

You beat me to it Creature...Prom Night is by far the worst.

DirtyGirl wrote:

You beat me to it Creature...Prom Night is by far the worst.

I made that piece all by myself, too. I'm so proud. tongue

I'd say the worst I've seen are:

Psycho
Black Christmas
Day of the Dead
Prom Night
When a Stranger Calls
The Hitcher
Wizard of Gore (though the original wasn't exactly "great," either)
The Fog

There are more, but I don't wish to subject myself to remembering them. lol

As for the Wicker Man remake, while it's not a fun movie to watch, it is a fun movie to make fun of.  I kind of see it as the filmic equivalent of watching a clown getting hit by a car; yes it's horrific, but imagine the clown's nose honking on impact. lol

I've actually never seen The Hitcher remake, nor do I want to. I'm happy with the original.

And I've never seen the Prom Night remake. Judging by the comments here, I can say that was probably a wise decision.

My brain feels better knowing that my instinct not to see Prom Night was correct.

Gotta be Nightmare on Elm st for me.  I seriously have tried 3 times and I just can't get through it which almost never happens with me.  I was somehow able to sit through Prom Night..

Yeah, Prom Night is pretty gosh damn down right over the top horrible.

Haha gotta be Psycho, The Fog... I actually liked the When A Stranger calls though. Scares the shit outta me when I was a kid. Now an adolescent, still freaked out by it.

Oh, and Friday the 13th 2009.  HATED that flick.  Literally barged out of the theater after.

LoudLon wrote:

Oh, and Friday the 13th 2009.  HATED that flick.  Literally barged out of the theater after.

It just didn't make sense to me personally.

One by one, all the ones I avoided mentioning so as not to sink into a deep depression are forcing themselves to the fore. lol

Add on the Fright Night remake for me.  Hated it.

Like, if you watch the Friday the 13th movies one after another, it generally has (the first few anyway) of how the story works, like Jason isn't the original killer. And then he finds his mask later on, etc. Then in the later movies becomes a zombie too, etc. But when does the remake take place on the timeline? I can't even remember the movie now actually.

You hated the Fright Night remake? I actually really enjoyed it, not better than the original obviously, still good though.

The Friday remake kinda/sorta amalgamated the first four Friday flicks into one, then ran off in its own direction. Not a single, visible second of this movie worked for me.  I consider it interchangeable with pretty much every other Platinum Dunes remake.

Didn't like the Fright Night remake for four reasons:

1. The kid who played Chekhov in Star Trek '09 is no William Ragsdale, Christopher Mintz Platz is no Stephen Geoffreys and David Tennant is nowhere even remotely close to being Roddy McDowell.  I thought the cast was VERY poor, and even Toni Collette doesn't fair very well as the mother.  She and Collin Farrell do their best but the material just isn't there to support them.

2. The CGI is absolutely horrid.

3. The pacing is atrocious and the story is  plump with lapses in even the most basic of logic.  It's a given one must suspend their disbelief when watching a genre flick, but there's a difference between suspending it and outright ignoring it, which is what this flick asks you to do.

4. It lacks the original's charm, wit, eroticism and even its pathos.

Overall it's just a pale, vapid, creatively bankrupt imitation of the far better original.

I personally believe it is the Nightmare on Elm Street remake I watched it once and it was terrible I was falling asleep in the theatre and begging for it to end

That blonde chick was hot though. Lets all be honest here.

(The one in the Fright Night remake I mean)

Last edited by Scavenger of Human Sorrow (2012-08-21 21:14:44)

Yea Fright Night was one of the better mainstream horror films of late in my opinion.  Love the original, and liked the new one quite a bit.  And yes, the blonde chick was smoking hot.  Very entertaining movie.

Last edited by PrinceofDarkness (2012-08-21 22:02:37)

I actually liked the remake of Black Christmas and Prom night lol what does that say about me? I was disappointed with Fright Night though, maybe I would have liked it a little more if it was just a stand alone movie, but I kept comparing it to the original.

riverash wrote:

I actually liked the remake of Black Christmas and Prom night lol what does that say about me? .

That you're honest! smile

(Honest, but too honest. Grab the axe and form a party, let's get her!)

Just kidding! big_smile

To each their own, of course. Without different perspectives, this forum would have nothing of any substance to discuss. Luckily everyone here does their own thang!

Are people's like / hate of a remake, affected by how much they liked the original?  In other words, if you love an original, are you that much more picky with the remake?  Or, are you basing the remake on its merits alone?  Just curious.  I'm not sure where I stand on that.

Prom Night to me, was almost irrelevant, so I don't even consider that when I think of horrible remakes, though it was.

Elm St. was one of the worst for me.  Horrid.

Surprised there's so much hate for Black Christmas.