Re: What do you think is the worst remake?

In my opinion Prom Night, The Fog, Black Christmas and Psycho are the worst; followed closely by The Wicker Man and The Omen. I also strongly dislike Let Me In.

Re: What do you think is the worst remake?

Ghostseeker wrote:

Are people's like / hate of a remake, affected by how much they liked the original?  In other words, if you love an original, are you that much more picky with the remake?  Or, are you basing the remake on its merits alone?  Just curious.  I'm not sure where I stand on that.

I think it's not only natural but appropriate to compare a remake to its original.  Afterall, isn't the purpose of a remake to improve upon the film which inspired it?  And how are we to know whether or not it succeeds unless we compare it to that original?  Honestly, I think that anyone who says they go into a remake with a clean slate and no expectations is lying, either to us or themselves.

I don't think it's possible to go into a remake completely objectively.  But I think that if the movie is good, then you start recognizing its merits and grow to accept the film on its own terms.  But even then, in the back of your mind, you're still comparing it to the original.

Mind you, this is in the cases where the originals were great films.  If someone was to remake, say, Manos: Hands of Fate, chances are you will be able to go in with a clean slate and no expectations because the original is so god-awful. lol

Re: What do you think is the worst remake?

LoudLon wrote:
Ghostseeker wrote:

Are people's like / hate of a remake, affected by how much they liked the original?  In other words, if you love an original, are you that much more picky with the remake?  Or, are you basing the remake on its merits alone?  Just curious.  I'm not sure where I stand on that.

I think it's not only natural but appropriate to compare a remake to its original.  Afterall, isn't the purpose of a remake to improve upon the film which inspired it?  And how are we to know whether or not it succeeds unless we compare it to that original?  Honestly, I think that anyone who says they go into a remake with a clean slate and no expectations is lying, either to us or themselves.

I don't think it's possible to go into a remake completely objectively.  But I think that if the movie is good, then you start recognizing its merits and grow to accept the film on its own terms.  But even then, in the back of your mind, you're still comparing it to the original.

Mind you, this is in the cases where the originals were great films.  If someone was to remake, say, Manos: Hands of Fate, chances are you will be able to go in with a clean slate and no expectations because the original is so god-awful. lol

I think that is 100% valid. And also the argument on, "Why are they remaking films that are already great and not films that were terrible the first go around?"

And as you said about the remake of Fright Night (though I still enjoyed it) I can agree a 100% with your problems with it. Especially points 2 thru 4.

As far as the worst I've seen of late? F13th 2009. Only redeeming part, Julianna Guill for 2 reasons.

1. She's absolutely one of the best looking actresses I've seen in horror flicks.
2. She's from just outside of my hometown, and that's pretty awesome. lol

Re: What do you think is the worst remake?

There is a lot remake i have yet to see!
Remakes i liked

Remake I don't like
April Fool's Day (2008) 4/10
The Eye (2008) 4/10
The Fog (2005) not rated
Friday the 13th (2009) 4/10
The Grudge (2004) 5/10
House on Haunted Hill (1999) 4/10
The Invasion (2007) 3/10
It's Alive (2008) 4/10
Naina (2005) 4/10
A Nightmare on Elm Street (2010) 3/10
The Omen (2006) 4/10
Sorority Row (2009) 1/10
The Women in Black (2012) 4/10
Children of the Corn (2009) 4/10
The Amityville Horror (2005) 1/10
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (2003)

Remake I have not seen
2001 Maniacs (2005)
Blood Diner (1987)
The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari (2005)
Carnival of Souls (1998)
The Cat and the Canary (1939)
Dark Water (2005)
The Echo (2008)
Fright Night (2011)
Funny Games (2008)
House of Wax (1953)
I Saw What You Did (1988)
I Spit on Your Grave (2010)
The Body Snatchers (1993)
Let Me In (2010)
Mother's Day (2010) (seen some of it)
Night of the Living Dead 3D (2006)
One Missed Call (2007)
Piranha (1995)
Prom Night (2008)
Pulse (2006)
Quarantine (2008)
Shutter (2008)
The Stepfather (2009) (seen some of it)
Straw Dogs (2011)
When a Stranger Calls (2006)
The Wicker Man (2006)
Willard (2003)
The Wizard of Gore (2007)
The Wolfman (2010)


Remake i need to re-watch
Black Christmas (2006) Seen some of it, i did enjoy some parts of the movie)
The Blob (1988) d
Cat People (1982)
The Haunting (1999)
The Hitcher (2007)
Psycho (1998)
Village of the Damned (1995)

Last edited by BASSI (2012-08-22 04:17:24)

Re: What do you think is the worst remake?

Ghostseeker wrote:

Are people's like / hate of a remake, affected by how much they liked the original?  In other words, if you love an original, are you that much more picky with the remake?  Or, are you basing the remake on its merits alone?  Just curious.  I'm not sure where I stand on that.

Prom Night to me, was almost irrelevant, so I don't even consider that when I think of horrible remakes, though it was.

Elm St. was one of the worst for me.  Horrid.

Surprised there's so much hate for Black Christmas.

For me, yes the remake will most likely always be compared back to the original and for good reason too. The remake is...happening because:

1) To improve on what the original done

and

2) Make money from the name from people who know the original

But to most of us here (viewers) it's only #1 that is important because why would they remake a movie if it's going to be bad? If the remake starts to be amazing and actually improves on things the original film did, then hell yes I will acknowledge and be grateful but I'll still always be going back to the original and compare.

Like you say, you're surprised with the Black Christmas hate but for me personally, the reason I hate it the most is because of how much I love the original (seriously, one of my favourite movies). All that nonsense they put in the movie, the backstory, all that crap (sorry for using a curse, but it's needed now) so I will be very picky with what a remake does and how it does it because of my love for the original.]

I know I sound very mean because of this, but I generally dislike remakes a whole lot lol

Re: What do you think is the worst remake?

This is actually pretty hands down for me.. The Fog. I usually really don't like remakes but The Fog was just atrocious.

Re: What do you think is the worst remake?

^^^ Agreed.  The Fog '05 was easily the worst remake I've seen so far, and I'm including Black Christmas.  It was just a complete and total miss.

Re: What do you think is the worst remake?

LoudLon wrote:

^^^ Agreed.  The Fog '05 was easily the worst remake I've seen so far, and I'm including Black Christmas.  It was just a complete and total miss.

Is The Fog remake that bad? I have the original on dvd and really liked it but never bothered getting the remake.

Re: What do you think is the worst remake?

It's a total misfire, man.  For one, it's PG-13, which I despise.  If any genre demands an R-rating it's horror, or else what's the point?  But the acting is stiff, the comic relief is atrocious and the movie just really doesn't even try.  You can feel it limping along from start to finish, afraid to take any kind of chances whatsoever.  At least the Black Christmas remake had the balls to go over the top (even iif it did fail miserably).

Re: What do you think is the worst remake?

LoudLon wrote:

It's a total misfire, man.  For one, it's PG-13, which I despise.  If any genre demands an R-rating it's horror, or else what's the point?  But the acting is stiff, the comic relief is atrocious and the movie just really doesn't even try.  You can feel it limping along from start to finish, afraid to take any kind of chances whatsoever.  At least the Black Christmas remake had the balls to go over the top (even iif it did fail miserably).

Damn man, that does sound real bad, I'll stay away from it. But the Black Christmas remake? I hate it so much, I can't even describe my hatred for it. Like that back story, why even make one? Like I can see they were going for something but...damn it's just so bad.

Re: What do you think is the worst remake?

Ghostseeker wrote:

Are people's like / hate of a remake, affected by how much they liked the original?  In other words, if you love an original, are you that much more picky with the remake?  Or, are you basing the remake on its merits alone?  Just curious.  I'm not sure where I stand on that.

Prom Night to me, was almost irrelevant, so I don't even consider that when I think of horrible remakes, though it was.

Elm St. was one of the worst for me.  Horrid.

Well, I haven't actually seen the original Prom Night (gonna watch that tonight) but I have unfortunately seen the remake and it's one of the worst movies I've seen - absolutely nothing of worth.

A Nightmare on Elm Street is another horrendous remake, but I have seen and love the original, but I had an open mind going in. I looked for merits but saw none.

So I'm more inclined to say that I'm not too biased on my opinion of a remake, with respect to the original. I try to forget about what came before, but obviously that ain't so easy sometimes.

But Fright Night is one of my favourite movies and I refuse to see the remake because... well, I don't see the point. That's something I just don't want to see.

Re: What do you think is the worst remake?

Halloween 07

Re: What do you think is the worst remake?

Scavenger of Human Sorrow wrote:

I know I sound very mean because of this, but I generally dislike remakes a whole lot lol

Don't think you sound mean at all and I totally get your point.  You despised Black Christmas.  I didn't, but get where you're coming from.

Chomper - I also get why you would avoid a remake all together.  I haven't done that yet...as far as skipping it solely because of my love for the original (I've skipped some because the particular remake looked horrible), but I could see doin it.

I think I too, would hold a remake to a higher standard...while actually expecting less.  Elm St. was horrible.  I loved the original, but I would have hated the remake any way cuz it was so bad.

I just have to give a shot of support out for The Fog remake!  I loved the original, and I loved the remake...found it entertaining and fun.  smile

Re: What do you think is the worst remake?

I think I should also bring to light how god awful the April Fools Day remake was.. Also When A Stranger Calls was not so hot either.

Re: What do you think is the worst remake?

^ Wait wait wait...there is a April Fools Day remake? I never knew that.

Re: What do you think is the worst remake?

Most people I know disliked War of the Worlds (2005) because of Dakota Fanning and her constant screaming as well as the fact Ray's son manages to survive during the Hill/Army attack. I thought the movie was great, and I also thought the visual effects and Tripod's were down right terrifying.

Re: What do you think is the worst remake?

Has anyone here ever seen the NOES remake all the way through? I've tried to sit down and watch it at least 3 times but never made it past the half hour mark.
I loathe this film.

Re: What do you think is the worst remake?

The best remakes :
The Woman in Black
Black Christmas
The Hills Have Eyes
I Spit on Your Grave
The Crazies
The Ring
Dawn of the Dead

The worst remake ever is Quarantine (1,2),pure plagiarism imo.Trying to change the name of the original and to make "the new movie" is so stupid and lame...The most of the remakes rely to the original but this one is just the type of the movie "let's use great foreign original that came out last year "  ; Quarantine only rely to the REC in the copy-paste way.Same thing with Dark Water and Let Me In ; unnecessary remakes (only necessary to steal the idea in no time and get money).

Last edited by flamethrower (2012-09-18 14:28:23)

Re: What do you think is the worst remake?

Goon wrote:

I think I should also bring to light how god awful the April Fools Day remake was.. Also When A Stranger Calls was not so hot either.

Yeah, that April Fools Day remake is the defenition of trash; but I actually liked the When a Stranger Calls remake. I was never a huge fan of the original, besides the opening and the closing scene I thought it was pretty bad. I thought the remake was at least creepy and atmospheric due to the huge house and it's isolation.

Re: What do you think is the worst remake?

yea the original When a Stranger Calls is not a treat either.. I didn't think Quarantine was that bad.. Yea they ripped off the idea but it is better than taking a movie and butchering it. At least it was entertaining.

Re: What do you think is the worst remake?

Fulcento wrote:

Has anyone here ever seen the NOES remake all the way through? I've tried to sit down and watch it at least 3 times but never made it past the half hour mark.
I loathe this film.

I took my niece to see it opening night.  We left hugely disappointed.  Good cast -- Clancy Brown, Jackie Earle Haley, Connie Britton -- which was the actual selling point for me, but it was a complete waste of their talents.

Re: What do you think is the worst remake?

Goon wrote:

yea the original When a Stranger Calls is not a treat either.. I didn't think Quarantine was that bad.. Yea they ripped off the idea but it is better than taking a movie and butchering it. At least it was entertaining.

Goon hey man holy  shit where you been man shit I say sit again man I thought you dead man lol glad you still here buddy

Re: What do you think is the worst remake?

DemonToSome wrote:

Goon hey man holy  shit where you been man shit I say sit again man I thought you dead man lol glad you still here buddy

Heh.. yea a lot has happened.. First off I moved and was without my own place for about 3 months.. So I needed some time to get everything settled.. Then I began to have some medical issues where I was in pain every day for about a year.. Not fun, I don't recommend it.

But thats all in the past now and I am doing MUCH better. I'm glad to back and I don't plan on leaving again anytime soon.. Knock on wood.

Re: What do you think is the worst remake?

In order
Halloween
Day of the dead
Black Christmas
Last house on the left
Friday the 13th (2009)
The Fog (2005)
A Nightmare on Elm Street (2010)
Shutter (2008)
and the list goes on

Re: What do you think is the worst remake?

Really guys,no one to hate on Quarantine,Let Me In,Dark Water and crap like that ? big_smile