Re: The HM Comic Book Nerd Thread

Been reading Marvel Zombies, and loving it. Book 4-5 should be here in the next few days. Also, been reading a lot of Batman this Summer.

A fan-made Spider-Man film from 1969.  I laughed 'til I couldn't...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4HQn6rsJ38

is ita 6 min film?

No, it's something like just over 11 minutes.

I am reading Locke and Key by Joe Hill now.  Fantastic story so far!

^ Funny enough, I had that in my Amazon cart about to buy it but just held off. I think I'll pick it up this weekend.

I am on the first book.  It is about a family that goes to live in an old house after their father dies.  They find keys that will open doors with special powers like turning someone into a ghost and other things.  Pretty good so far  smile

Ah awesome! big_smile Yeah I'll get it this weekend, I was just busy with The Walking Dead. I became obbessed with it and started to blow through the Volumes pretty quick.

^^^ I've been resisting the urge to check out The Walking Dead comic because I'm so into the show that I don't want the comic ruining anything for me. hmm

Yeah I read the comics and watch the show myself (I started with the show first, then the comics) but like the comics are different in their own way. The show seemily follows the path the comic lays but then just does it's own thing in situations. In the first volume of the comic I was blown away with what happens, but I won't spoil lol

I appreciate it.  You seem like a good guy, I'd hate to have to pummel you into dust. big_smile

We couldn't have that carry on now lol

I was a HUGE comic book lover, still have all my old ones. My favorite, The Punisher followed by The X-Men, Wolverine, Batman and some Spiderman. I own a bunch of other various comics also but I kinda quit reading them when they stopped selling them in the grocery stores. I did buy a stack off a guy at work a few years ago, some old spiderman (from the 70's), some Johna Hex and there was a Nightmare on Elm Street one and a Ann Rice Interview With A Vampire one. I gave him $20and for em.

I have two long boxes full but it's been years since I last actively endeavored to read comics.  I pick up an occasional series if I hear enough good things about it, like Marvel's Civil War event, stuff like that, but I'm out of the loop otherwise.  Most of my collection is Marvel, but I have all different kinds of stuff.  I've got some Scud: The Disposable Assassin, Fun with Milk and Cheese, about the first seventy or so issues of Savage Dragon and a bunch other stuff.

^

I was limited to what they sold at the grocery store back then. But I used to get the Wizard mags and alway seen tons of comics I wish I coulda found and read back then like Hellboy, Priest and The Crow.

Some of my notable issues are..

X-Men when jean grey and Scott summers are married
Wolverine 75 (I think) when magneto sucks out his adamantium

Batman ??? When Bane breaks His back, plus a big part of the series leading up it
Batman 500 when the new batman takes Bruce's place
The Born mini series -- Punisher origin

Last edited by ChainSaW80 (2012-08-22 19:33:10)

Oh, I also used to buy the "Marvel Comics Presents" alot. The ones with Wolverine on one side and Ghost Rider on the flip side! I have a few of the "What ifs" also, they were fun.

Just started reading "Blackest Night," by DC. It's a lot like the Marvel Zombies series. Haven't read much of it yet, but so far it's pretty cool.

My prized comic has to be a first printing and first issue of " Batman: The Dark Knight returns."

Thinking about picking up "Before Watchmen" any thoughts?

ChainSaW80 wrote:

I was limited to what they sold at the grocery store back then. But I used to get the Wizard mags and alway seen tons of comics I wish I coulda found and read back then like Hellboy, Priest and The Crow.

That's how it was for me in my teens back in the 80s; I lived in the country and the only place in town which sold comics was a pharmacy, and the only thing they really carried were the mainstays at the time; Spider-Man, Daredevil, Captain America, Hulk, X-Men The Avengers, Alpha Flight, Marvel Team-Up...all the major Marvel titles.  I only learned about the independent stuff from a middle school friend whose parents mail-ordered comics for him all the time.  That's how I learned about stuff like Cerberus, Judge Dredd, Groo the Wanderer, Grendel, and other such obscure/lesser known titles.

I have a number of notable issues but my favorite is an original copy of Amazing Spider-Man #23.  It's in poor condition, but I just like knowing I have an original early issue of ASM with pencils by Steve Ditko in my collection. lol

Mr. Black wrote:

Thinking about picking up "Before Watchmen" any thoughts?

I've checked out a couple of them and personally, I didn't find them worth the time.  I think Allan Moore told us everything we needed to know about them in the original series; these "before" issues are just cash-in crap.

Finished Book 2 of Locke and key. Hopefully finish book 3 this weekend too!

My favorite ones are:
30 Days Of Night
Spawn
Ghost Rider
The freaking Sexy as H3LL Aphrodite IX

As a surprise and late Christmas gift my wife got me a few comics and they just arrived today. One that I tried getting at the local video store that also sells comics, but was sold out when I finally made it there is, Amazing Spider Man #700. It's the final issue to that series is why it's in such demand and was sold out. My wife is not only a hottie, but a amazing person as well. Lucky me!!

Oh very cool from her. Lucky you INDEED. smile

Got myself the most awesomazing graphic novel I've read in my life.
Dark, VERY dark storyline and fabulous drawings, it's a true MASTERPIECE of a comic book.
END-ELIZABETH by Barbara Canepa which I've always loved the stuff she does but this one is just so unbelievably cool.

http://iluze.files.wordpress.com/2011/06/end-tome-1-elizabeth.jpg?w=304&h=400

I will be sure to check that one out.  I just picked up the first three American Vampire books but I haven't read them yet.  Just finished book 1 of The Strain and Book 6 of Sandman.