Topic: Films in the 50s that are actually scary

So before we have Alfred Hitchcok's "rated R" Psycho. We have lots of other "shits" that are very well made like Dracula and The Thing From Another World. Psycho was very likely the first realistic horror film ever made. Along with the psychological drama/horror Rosemary's Baby was one of the first few horror films to use swearings like THAT and having that much of adult contain.
Now I want to look back at the "lame" and unrealistic "horror" films in the 60s and descending. I want to know which might terrify people the most (like The Fly which I haven't watched yet). I dunno any so can you guys give me suggestion?

Re: Films in the 50s that are actually scary

Here's a list of 1950s horror films.
I'll say House of Wax, Night of the Demon, The Blob, Dracula.  The 50s are not my area of expertise.

well when I was a kid and saw "Day The World Ended" lefft an impression on me for like 40 years

until I watched it again and wondered why it got me when I was like 5 or 6

oh yea btw they use to play those old 50s flicks all the time during the 50s and 60s so I pretty much seen them

I don't really need films in the 50s. Might be 30s or 40s.

Um, did I miss something in the title of this thread, "Films in the 50s" ?

Or did you just change your mind?

No I only want horror films in the 50s and descending that will likely scare me out! Freak me out is still ok smile

Something with paranoia like IoBS might be good for me (if you want it to scare it might. Even though I haven't watched it yet lol)

The 30s:

Frankenstein
Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde
Freaks
The Black Cat
Island of Lost Souls
The Old Dark House
The Cat and the Canary (actually 1927, but what the hell)

The '40s:

Dead of Night
Gaslight
The Beast with Five Fingers
The Uninvited
I Walked with a Zombie
Cat People

The '50s:

Night of the Hunter
Diabolique
Horror of Dracula
Them!
House of Wax
The Thing
Eyes Without a Face (had to look this one up to be sure; thought it was the 60s)
Invasion of the Body Snatchers
House on Haunted Hill
The Bad Seed
The Bat

Those are the only ones coming to me at the moment.

Lon, can they surely scare a "13 year old kid who is seemingly interested in AVP" like me?

Well, they scared me when I was a kid, but then I grew up during a time when Taliban decapitation videos weren't freely accessible to anyone with a keyboard and internet connection.  Chances are, if you've seen anything like that, these movies probably won't do anything for you.  But it's good to watch them anyway, even if just to broaden your horror knowledge.

^^
"The more you know."  .... rainbow unicorn
Listen to Lon & DirtyGirl- they know more about the older stuff than I do in one finger.

Edit- and Wolfy, DeadShallRule, Meh, Cap Howdy, MovieMaven...  who am I missing?

Last edited by azathoth (2012-08-25 05:53:30)

azathoth wrote:

they know more about the older stuff than I do in one finger.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v93/loudlon/Animated/nosense.gif

AHHHHHHHH!!!  I made that .gif yesterday and have been dying for an opportunity to use it.  Thanks, man! big_smile

You are welcome, sir.  big_smile

edit- and I'm still dying to use that one you made for me....

can't someone step with the jerkiness?  sad

Last edited by azathoth (2012-08-25 05:58:13)

If someone starts some crap and tempers escalate, I'll put off deleting them until you've had a chance to use it. lol

Incidentally, I've been thinking I'll remake that for you with him actually mouthing the words, animated .gif style, like I did with the one above.

^^
You are quite the fiend, aren't you!  lol

edit- just remember to PM me the URL.
We have too much fun here, don't we?  big_smile

Last edited by azathoth (2012-08-25 06:14:53)

"lame" and unrealistic "horror" films in the 60s?

I actually like the 60's. As a matter of fact Rosemary's Baby was released in 1968. Not to mention Night of the Living Dead, Black Sunday, Peeping Tom, Village of the Damned, The Innocents, The Curse of the Werewolf, The Pit and the Pendulum, Whatever Happened to Baby Jane?, Black Sabbath, The Birds, The Haunting, The Last Man on Earth... I could go on here. And sorry if I'm a bit defensive about the "lame and unrealistic" films of the 60's. I happen to think they are anything but.

Now as for movies of the 50's and earlier. I can help a little with that. Lon's given you a good start and already mentioned my favorites: House on Haunted Hill, House of Wax, Horror of Dracula.

50's (Not horror's golden age that's for sure. The market was dominated by sci-fi monster movies, horror sort of took a back seat during the atom age) I have to admit, a lot of these I wouldn't consider "scary".

I Bury the Living
The Tingler
Night of the Demon
Creature from the Black Lagoon

40's
Isle of the Dead
The Spiral Staircase
The Body Snatcher
The Wolf Man
The Red House

I'd add The Abominable Snowman to the 50's in what Lon named, also I would add (if someone didn't already) Freaks. Both are great movies and would (probably) scare you. I'm not too sure if Creature From The Black Lagoon would scare you or not but it's a must watch anyway, it could scare you though. Like Lon said, House of Wax is great but is different from the remake if you have seen that. What about It Came from Outer Space? lol Those are the only ones I can name for you without going to my dvd collection and I really don't want to move at the moment.

Edit - Like Ms.Gorefiend said, the 50's Horror is more related with Sci-Fi than anything, I don't see why you wouldn't want 60's movies though.

Last edited by Scavenger of Human Sorrow (2012-08-25 06:44:37)

Ms.Gorefiend wrote:

I actually like the 60's. As a matter of fact Rosemary's Baby was released in 1968. Not to mention Night of the Living Dead, Black Sunday, Peeping Tom, Village of the Damned, The Innocents, The Curse of the Werewolf, The Pit and the Pendulum, Whatever Happened to Baby Jane?, Black Sabbath, The Birds, The Haunting, The Last Man on Earth...

...The Virgin Spring, Mr. Sardonicus, Homicidal, X: The Man with X-Ray Eyes, Cape Fear, Carnival of Souls, The Raven, The Oblong Box, The Whip and the Body, Blood and Black Lace, Hush...Hush, Sweet Charlotte, Straight-Jacket, now I'm just showing off, The Masque of the Red Death, Repulsion, The Tomb of Ligeia, The Plague of the Zombies, Wait Until Dark, Spider-Baby...

^^ Show off all you want, you're helping me prove my point tongue

LoudLon wrote:
Ms.Gorefiend wrote:

I actually like the 60's. As a matter of fact Rosemary's Baby was released in 1968. Not to mention Night of the Living Dead, Black Sunday, Peeping Tom, Village of the Damned, The Innocents, The Curse of the Werewolf, The Pit and the Pendulum, Whatever Happened to Baby Jane?, Black Sabbath, The Birds, The Haunting, The Last Man on Earth...

...The Virgin Spring, Mr. Sardonicus, Homicidal, X: The Man with X-Ray Eyes, Cape Fear, Carnival of Souls, The Raven, The Oblong Box, The Whip and the Body, Blood and Black Lace, Hush...Hush, Sweet Charlotte, Straight-Jacket, now I'm just showing off, The Masque of the Red Death, Repulsion, The Tomb of Ligeia, The Plague of the Zombies, Wait Until Dark, Spider-Baby...

You guys forgot Psycho...

Geesh.

^^ Well, he did mention it in the original post.

Ms.Gorefiend wrote:

^^ Show off all you want, you're helping me prove my point tongue

Ah, you saw that, eh?  Thought I'd throw that in there to see if anybody was actually reading it. lol

Yes, Lon, I actually read the posts.

Sorry, did you just write something?

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m8syzox4OE1r9ol6y.gif