Topic: Is Evil Dead even funny?

I've read some articles that states Sam Raimi's The Evil Dead is a comedy horror film.
I think it's more like a normal gory and supernatural horror blast! This movie has an ultimate amount of gore and scenes which freak me out when I first saw it.
I didn't find any funny stuffs in the movie. I mean even The Lost Boys is seemingly even more funnier than it! WTF!
Seriously for every people thinking it was a comedy horror movie I think you got it wrong. It's The Evil Dead II: Dead by Dawn and Army of Darkness are comedy horror.
So what do you people think?

Re: Is Evil Dead even funny?

The Evil Dead is more focused on actual horror than comedy but has it's moments of comedy in short bursts every while. But Evil Dead II is full on a comedy horror movie and the same with Army of Darkness, this is what I was saying in the another topic. That Evil Dead II is more of an re-imagining of the first film than a full on sequel, because Raimi wanted to take the series in another direction (comedy horror direction).

Last edited by Scavenger of Human Sorrow (2012-08-26 09:59:24)

Yeah, ED is straight horror, ED 2 is the comedy one.  AoD took the comedy level higher.

Yup would have said the same thing.  Evil Dead has some moments where you might laugh but Evil Dead 2 definitely is trying to be funny as well as scary

Last edited by PrinceofDarkness (2012-08-26 11:54:15)

The first Evil Dead has some morbid humor in it but for the most part it's a straight-on horror flick.

Evil Dead 2 is a horror comedy.

I'd classify Army of Darkness as a comedy/fantasy.

I agree, Evil Dead is strictly horror, which is why its by far my favorite movie of the series.

Only Linda's "Time to go to sleeep." Is merely funny.

Suspiria_89 wrote:

I agree, Evil Dead is strictly horror, which is why its by far my favorite movie of the series.

agree  with sus 100%

Evil Dead series on a whole is sometimes seen as a comedy horror series.

The first is a horror movie but some parts are just brilliantly funny, I dunno if it was always intentional.

ED2 Was funny. It was meant to be and was bloody brilliant at it too. Still holds up today to new viewers too.

AOD is a comedy with some fantasy/horror elements.

We always laughed at the card scene from the first one, but yeah seems like they were going for horror in the first one but stuck in a few funny moments.

Evil Dead I - not much comedy , horror all the way

Evil Dead II - 40% comedy , 60% horror

Evil Dead III - 70% comedy , 30% horror

Last edited by fmvgamer (2012-08-26 22:05:22)

They all 3 great movies, i Agree what everyone else said, that first is more Horror then comedy.

I agree that the first Evil Dead is dominantly a serious and at points a creepy/scary as fck horror movie (especially the card playing scene) even if this was not what Saimi intended and how some critics initially responded to the film.

The only thing that made me laugh in the first one is the girl raped by trees. And maybe the witch turning into who the H3LL knows what at the end.
But yeah, the other ones are definitely funny.

Evil Dead 1, According to its UK investors

"We thought you were making a horror film, not a comedy". Similarly Palace video's press notes dwelled on the films "comic strip gusto" and its intention "to shock, jolt and amuse the experienced horror moviegoer"

According to a critic on its UK release - "The Evil Dead is to horror films what Airplane was to disaster movies. Raimi seems to have confirmed this impression to a degree in interviews.

"You should try telling an actor to drink a cup of green bile then regurgitate it through her nose and mouth". She can have a hard time taking it seriously! The movie is so far removed from what people experience in their daily lives that its like a joke. And you can only be offended by it it as you could be by a bad joke"

As John Martin comments in relation to its involvement in the Video Nasty scandal "Those more concerned with prophesying the end of Western civilisation as we know it than going to experience horror movies didn't see the funny side of Raimi's literally side splitting comedy, taking at face value the films hyperbolic claim to be the 'ultimate in gruelling terror". Mary Whitehouse predictably took the claim at face value identifying it as her N1 Nasty. Some have speculated that this and similar controversial reaction to his film, which probably only existed in the UK was why Raimi increased the comedy factor in Evil Dead 2 (50% Horror 50% comedy).
One of the most funny things about the whole affair was that Sam Raimi was called by Palace video to testify in a UK court to defend the film delivering a "Captain Kirk Freedom of Speech" routine only to be told that the film itself rather than his intentions were in question and that his testimony would not be needed.

To conclude i personally think that the first evil dead is as i said before achieves, to me personally a dominantly serious and creepy, horrific tone and atmosphere with elements of humour in the background (and therefore my fav of the trilogy). This is perhaps due to its way over the top gore which people obviously read into in different ways. Some experience it as mainly pure horror while others see its excessive gore in parody and humorous terms.

Last edited by Vasquez (2012-09-01 13:06:03)

^^^
VERY interesting read.
Wish I could find back the old journal Raimi wrote during the filming, has lots of nice stuff. Gonna have to look through my millions of bookmarked sites...

For horror fans who like their stuff wild n' wooly, Evil Dead is one of those movies where the extremity of the situations become darkly humorous.  My wife, on the other hand, doesn't find anything funny about it.  Of course, she finds any and all possession-themed horror movies unbearable. 

I did show this to a friend who typically likes campy horror movies, but I could tell he didn't think ED was all that funny.  Most normal people tend to find the whole "We're gonna get you..." bit unnerving.  I can understand that.

kXnPunk wrote:

The only thing that made me laugh in the first one is the girl raped by trees.

Dude... seriously!? I found that scene sad. And how do we know that she is Ash's little sister?

It says so in the movie. wink

I don't see the first ED as a comedy.  It has its comedic moments but it's mostly morbid/gallows humor, like Ash getting splatted in the face every time he turns around.  But it's not a comedy like ED2 or AOD is, where there are actual jokes.

^^ Haha yeah I watch it online by a slow player so didn't able to watch it properly. Gotta buy a DVD.

A Lost Boy wrote:
kXnPunk wrote:

Dude... seriously!? I found that scene sad. And how do we know that she is Ash's little sister?

I'm a sadic mother f...
And if you get it on DVD, get the lspecial edition one which is great. That's the one I have.

I'll do you one better and recommend the Ultimate Evil Dead 3-disc edition.  That's the one I have. big_smile

kXnPunk wrote:
A Lost Boy wrote:
kXnPunk wrote:

I'm a sadic mother f...
And if you get it on DVD, get the lspecial edition one which is great. That's the one I have.

I live in the 13th most populated country in the world so no...

Well if they sell The Book of The Dead in Italy I might.

Amazon sells all over the world. tongue