Topic: The Thing (2011)

Since nobody have been talking about this movie, I'll start. Thought it was a decent movie. Excellent cast. Great use of Norwegian actors. Joel Edgerton kinda suck in this one. But Eric Christian Olsen was very cool: "I never believe in this shit." LOL.
Not as scary as the 1982 movie because it lacks the paranoia but I got the feeling that they tried. Not like other stupid modern horror films these days.
Overal I rate it a 7.5/10

Re: The Thing (2011)

^^
Oh, it has been talked about, extensively.

Dang I've got to see this.  Definitely heard good things and am a Carpenter fanatic.  One of the few recent mainstream horror I haven't gotten around to checkin out

Me neither. I go to, then I don't. Silly really but I always watch the stuff everyone loves way late. Will probably watch it sooner or later but I rarely see anything bad about it.

Solid movie but it has its problems.

Also, I read up on the original plan for the movie (changes some details of the ending and goes into the background story more) and it sounded a lot better.

I am huge fan of The John Capeter The Thing, it's second favorite movie of all time! , Which was a remake of The Thing from another world, which i Saw after this movie.

I was not sure how this movie would turn out, there seem to be some mixed reviews about, some good feedback but mostly negative reviews.

So I had to check this movie my self, I know a lot people are comparing this to 1982 Version, which is understandable, it shouldn't really be compared with that version as it was in 80's, a lot change since then, so as the movie industry as change since the 80's.

I judge this movie on its own, I did not compare it with the 1982 version, I Knew the effect will NEVER Been the same, as the effect in that movie are one in a blue moon.

This movie introductions character and with little character development, this movie as gorgeous Mary Elizabeth Winstead (I can help the fact that In love with her since i saw Her in Final Destination 3, I think was great in this movie as was rest of the cast.

I really enjoyed watching this movie , I found it really good , the movie did not take long to start off, there were right might of jump scenes in this movie  and they did try to add a bit of dark humor into the mix , which worked really well.

The first Death was really questionable, the effect was little odd at first. as the movie went on and I did enjoy the other really good effects, Which I was not expecting at all.

The effect are no were near as good as 1982 to version, there were no were near the worst effect I have seen in other movies1 (Yeah, I know broke own rule here!)

I really had fun watching this movie, PS(I did see The Devil inside day before this movie, which is really bad movie) 7 out of 10

I gutted that missed when it was cinema but clad I brought on DVD.

Even if i can admit that the creatives behind the film may have had the best intentions The final product is about as generic as u can get. I have gone a rant about this more times than i can count but here i go

Bad points

- Undereveloped and poorly written norwegian characters

- Dire CGI

- Average Script

- Re - anectments of scenes with minor differences - forces the viewer to compare this to Carpenters version and predictably comes out far inferior.

- Therefore no suspense

- Average cinematography

- Lumbering, stupid and unscary monster

- Awful Sound Design - the monsters make a unnecessary overly piercing shriek

Last edited by Vasquez (2012-09-16 04:56:29)

Nightmare has summed up the negs quite nicely.

Hey I know I'm a weird motherf**ker but I liked it a lot.
The 2 headed thing was great. And did I mention that I LOOOOVE MAry Elizabeth Winstead??? And I liked her performance a lot in it.
Yes of course it wasn't as good as Carpenter's that for sure but I still like what they did with this one. When I said I was weird, here's the proof. LOL big_smile

^^I liked this movie alot too!

A Lost Boy wrote:

^^I liked this movie alot too!

Glad to see that I'm not the only one that's weird. HAHAHAHA big_smile

Me Like.... lots.... I'm just glad they made a prequel, probably an after thought, but I'm happy they did. If it was a remake of a remake I would have hated it. I thought it was well done and was really a great way to continue Carpenter's version IMO.

^^ yer know some people just watch it w/out paying attention to the details to make it a remake and a bad film. You know why they say it sucked? Because EVERYONE said so. Same thing happens to my poor favorite When A Stranger Calls (2006).

Some people, like myself, just don't like CGI FX.  It wasn't a bad film, just... underwhelming.

^^ Haha yaeh I feel that too but they did took this projext seriously.

^^
I agree, they tried.  It was a good effort.

^^^ My biggest gripe was...

SPOILER (left click and drag below)

The dude chick fries at the end.  Okay, so, we're to understand he had been "thinged."  So, why did he help her kill the thing and escape?  What was his end-game, there?  It never said specifically when he'd been duplicated, but really the only time we didn't see him -- and therefor the only opportunity the alien would have had to duplicate him -- was when the plane crashed and he was gone from the movie for an extended amount of time.  Assuming that, then that means he was a "thing" even when he helped the black guy back to the station.

And what the hell becomes of our heroine?  Does she just wander off into the Arctic, never to be seen again?

To use the parlance of our current generation...WTF???

END SPOILER

Other than that, I was actually pleased with how this prequel constructed the deaths and their aftermaths to gel with the scene MacReady and the Doc come upon in Carpenter's flick.  The frozen guy with the slit wrists, the two-faced thing Wilford Brimley dissects in the lab, etc.  And I got a bit of a kick during the credits, when they show the guys chasing off after the husky.  Do I think it was a successful film overall?  No.  But I did appreciate the effort they made to at least keep it in continuity with Carpenter's flick.

^^
Agreement.

Probably Carter was assimilated in the ship. Then he decided to spread the virus by bringing paranoia to the Russian station. And spread The Thing all over the world. The Thing cannot wistand the cold.

Maybe we'll see that in the next. LOL

^^ What next?

The one in my head. Just saying.

^^ Another Thing movie? That would be awesome.

I don't like cgi much at all. I'm just going by what was filmed and it could have been worse.
Hey Lonny maybe this is a prequel to a sequel of another prequel eh lol