Topic: P.a. 4

For those that enjoyed the Paranormal Activity series comes a fourth installment.
http://www.paranormalmovie.com/

Re: P.a. 4

Let me just get this Thread going...

Oh man!  They are making a 4th one??!?!?!  I can't believe it!  This is turning into the Saw franchise.

I mean the 1st one was the stupidest movie ever made.  It was so effin dumb!  Then, the 2nd one was horrible!  It wasn't scary at all!  It was stupid, and every person that saw it was dumb and stupid.  People that like these movies are gullible!  Even though I hated the 1st one, and the 2nd one was even worse, for some reason I saw the 3rd one, and I have to say it was even effin stupider and dumber and less scary, and the people watching it were dumb people that weren't even scary and they were gullible too!  I mean these people waste their money on these movies...I mean, never mind that I did too, I am just going to see a movie, the other people that saw it are really the dumb ones.  I'll go see the 4th one too, then I'll complain about how dumb, stupid and not scary it is!  I hate found footage movies, but I saw the first 3, and I'll see the 4th, but I hate them.  I mean, its not exactly a secret what these movies are like and about, but I am still surprised when I see them by how dumb they are.

I actually think this franchise may be responsible for the end of the world.  That's how bad it is.

-----------------------------------

Ok...sorry.  I had to pre-vent.  I don't care if people don't like these movies.  That's cool.  I am just amused by the people that hate them so much, yet go to see them, just to say how much they hate them.  It's their prerogative, but it still amuses me.  Then there's the people that have to put down the people that like this series...like they are some superior race.  Its not just here, its people all over the place.  So, I'm really not trying to be a jerk to anyone here, and this post was mainly in jest, but it comes from YEARS of hearing / reading the comments above.  I mean...seriously, people hate serial killers less than this series!

I am disappointed they are making a 4th.  Thought it wrapped up well with the 3rd...but I plan to see it.  I love those movies...well, the 1st especially, and the 3rd, not so much the 2nd.

Ok...carry on.  smile

Last edited by Ghostseeker (2012-08-13 23:46:42)

I liked the Riff-Trax version of P.A.  big_smile
Haven't seen any others, though.

rant noted..

you gotta problem with me liking Paranormal Activity ???

lol  actually i think its gotten ridiculous.. I liked the first one and thought it was scary--but looking back I think its cause I was having some weird things happening at my house that caused me to feel the way i did..

I do think the franchise of horror has lost its appeal..  no longer can we resurrect dead killers,  come up with off the wall plot explanations to keep them going as Friday the 13th, Halloween and NOES did ..

^^
Have you seen Insidious, Death of a Ghost Hunter, Grave Encounters?
They seemed fairly fresh to me.  Checking out V/H/S tonight to see how it is.

MistressOf Horror wrote:

I do think the franchise of horror has lost its appeal..  no longer can we resurrect dead killers,  come up with off the wall plot explanations to keep them going as Friday the 13th, Halloween and NOES did ..

Agreed.  I think -- and hope -- that the days of the horror franchise are finally coming to an end.  I like to think that people are smart enough to realize when their teat-wallets are being milked dry and stop going to see every new sequel that comes out because they realize nothing changes from one film to the next except the murder apparatus.  Mind you, I said I like to think that, despite knowing that realistically general audiences are just as dumb a herd of sheep now as they've always been and will swallow whatever half-assed crap a studio throws at them.

I think we're way overdue for a quality stand-alone film which inspires not sequels, trilogies or rip-offs, but which inspires other filmmakers to make quality stand-alone films of their own.  New, original one-offs.  That's what the genre needs more than anything right now.

MistressOf Horror wrote:

I liked the first one and thought it was scary--but looking back I think its cause I was having some weird things happening at my house that caused me to feel the way i did.

Me too.  The movie itself was good, and had been kinda scary, but man...some things happened in my house after I saw it that I associated with the movie (not saying it caused it, I know the movie was fake, its kinda a long story) that scared the hell outta me!

^^  [edit- this was based off Lon's post.  I took 1/2 hour writing this, so Ghosty got a post in.]

Not gonna happen, my friend.  When a director/producer/studio see money in milking the "teat wallet" (awesome phrase, by the way), it won't stop. 

We're going to have to spend the money on indie things, ya know like Acey's movie (hint hint hint hint), to get new ideas out there.  But we are the connoisseurs  of horror films, and I don't mean to disparage others.  Lon can probably name every movie Adrienne Barbeau has been in, and DirtyGirl can recite every single damn line from any Hammer movie ever made! 

People like comfortable, change is uneasy, and the youngin's are "oh look at the shiny"  (with apologies to the Creature and UV).  Slash and dash is known, it's easy to understand, and you can just turn your brain off.  Things like Cropsy and Resurrect Dead take thinking.  It's always a cycle, eventually things will roll back around to less chop-socky horror to thoughtful horror.  And I will be doing my spastic monkey dance when it happens.  Key word, spastic.

Now get off my lawn!  lol

Last edited by azathoth (2012-08-14 00:34:40)

well said Lon.

I gotta hand it to the filmmakers who put out an original idea.. or even do a old tale with a new twist.
I liked The Pact for this reason, but was a little disappointed with the lack of explanation. overall a good film though.
Also liked The Tall Man, The Pack, and V/H/S ( although it was a little "jack-assy " )

Az -I did like Insidious for the fact that it had a good old fashioned creepy scares.. and the explanation was original.. far too many demonic entites are being blamed these days !!  big_smile
let me know what you think of V/H/S

^^
Will do MoH- I'll put it under "Recently Watched Films" thread.

azathoth wrote:

^^  [edit- this was based off Lon's post.  I took 1/2 hour writing this, so Ghosty got a post in.]

Not gonna happen, my friend.  When a director/producer/studio see money in milking the "teat wallet" (awesome phrase, by the way), it won't stop. 

We're going to have to spend the money on indie things, ya know like Acey's movie (hint hint hint hint), to get new ideas out there.  But we are the connoisseurs  of horror films, and I don't mean to disparage others.  Lon can probably name every movie Adrienne Barbeau has been in, and DirtyGirl can recite every single damn line from any Hammer movie ever made! 

People like comfortable, change is uneasy, and the youngin's are "oh look at the shiny"  (with apologies to the Creature and UV).  Slash and dash is known, it's easy to understand, and you can just turn your brain off.  Things like Cropsy and Resurrect Dead take thinking.  It's always a cycle, eventually things will roll back around to less chop-socky horror to thoughtful horror.  And I will be doing my spastic monkey dance when it happens.  Key word, spastic.

Now get off my lawn!  lol

I agree with every word you and Lon said aza

I thought the first one was brilliant. The gimmick of using the fast forwarding clock at the lower corner to up the level of tension was genius. And, for me, it was actually scary. I thought the second was pretty decent, but after that, the series lost its shine. I'll still see the fourth. But, I don't like the idea of them milking this to death. Why can't they just leave well enough alone?

I'm kind of impressed someone (Vas) agreed with me.  Doesn't happen often, especially when I throw in "spastic monkeys," lol.

@Ms.G- that was one of the things I did like about PA- we didn't have to spend eternity watching nothing happen.  But with the clock rolling hours with the gal just standing there, it just generated the sense of when is something going to happen.  And then she goes back to bed.  And she does it again, and repeat.  Until the end of the film.

So Paranormal Activity gets a 4the sequel but  Behind the Mask has to lobby for money for a second movie?  seriously?

^^
Or Ace and his shizzle of trying to raise funds?  Don't get me started.  Nothing against you DG, of course.  Just the absurdity of how it all works.

Last edited by azathoth (2012-08-14 18:25:05)

As much as I loved the first two, it really bums me out that they are making this into another Saw franchise, it just seems to destroy the credibility of the originals by throwing out all of the creativity and origilanlity that went into creating them.  Which is why, like I did with the third one, I will wait for the forth to hit DVD before checking it out.  That is also why I rarely go to the theater anymore unless it is a movie that I really want to see like Prometheus, and instead look to independent and foreign film makers for my latest fix.

terrible, terrible. I just rented the third one at my local video shop and couldn't remember if I watched it or not. I fell asleep during it a little.

They are pretty terrible but I thought the 3rd was the better of the crappy franchise maybe they can get a 4th one right? haha I will probably see it just because there are no other horror movies coming out in October this year which is stupid hmm

Not much of a fan of the 3 films, although I've seen them all.

#1) A few creepy scenes that had my 3 daughters huddled close to each other on the couch. I was more focused on the bowl of popcorn we made.

#2) Blahhhh... I fell asleep about 2/3 way through.

#3)  Added nothing new to the series. A bit more interesting than the second film. I did enjoy the ending.

Last edited by Underdog (2012-08-15 12:46:54)

DirtyGirl wrote:

So Paranormal Activity gets a 4the sequel but  Behind the Mask has to lobby for money for a second movie?  seriously?

Great point. Its a sad state of things certainly.

I did like the 1st and 3rd in the series and will probably check this out, but by three movies they should have laid the story out, concluded it and nailed its coffin. Hell, one movie could have done that.

JJ!!! what the hell! Silent Hill 2 is coming out! Lol! And even Sinister looks better than PA 4. There 2 October movies with SH gauranteed to be more entertaining!
As for this film I will wait for DVD again like I did for 2 and 3.

Not really fussed about this movie, i was last year, cause trailer looked Awesome lol

Trailer don't look that scary at all, i wonder if that be in the movie anyway

Let me just put it this way:

I wouldn't want a bootleg of this. This is the stupidest grab for money since...since...I don't even have an example.

See now, I like sequels. I like franchises. I am one of the people who loved the whole of the Saw series. There's something about a continuing theme or characters that just appeals to me.

But if I were to say what I think about this drudgery getting another boatload of money, it would sound suspiciously like I'd just ripped off Ghosty's piss-take at the start of the thread big_smile That's exactly how I feel about these films. It's not because they are rolling out a formulaic film, it's because they aren't building on something interesting to start with; the films are dull. It's that simple. Saw - interesting premise, each film brought new elements to the overall storyline (plus it gave us some GREAT kills). Scream - the films get funnier, the kills are amusing and I love seeing the characters grow up. Final Destination - each film pushes the boat out further with the insane kills it brings us, funny and light-hearted. PA - does the exact same each film, without building on any main storyline, and uses the same 'scares' through the whole series. Bleurgh.