Re: evil dead remake

^ That's awesome, sounds like a great guy.

I say FUCK THIS its just a money grabber,,, Raimi had a chance like what 20 yrs ago to do this and it wa always swept under the rug... NO Fuckin need for it today. Its TOO late its past its prime!

Buy/Watch the original trilogy... part 2 we all know Raimi made a remake of his original baby, so its a little to late Sammy now!!!

Wow Azarthoth I am so jealous you got to meet him. He sounds like he is a really cool guy. One of my favorite characters of his was Autolycus.

DemonToSome wrote:

I say FUCK THIS its just a money grabber,,, Raimi had a chance like what 20 yrs ago to do this and it wa always swept under the rug... NO Fuckin need for it today. Its TOO late its past its prime!

Buy/Watch the original trilogy... part 2 we all know Raimi made a remake of his original baby, so its a little to late Sammy now!!!

I wouldn't say 2 is a remake.  It picks up right where the original left off.  The very beginning is just a recap.  Then 2 is the next day and it is quite a bit different than the original in my opinion.

I always thought of Evil Dead II as a re-imagining, like Raimi knew which way he wanted to take the francise (film at that time probably) and didn't want to start again so connected the first to the second movie and just made the second way different, like he wanted.

That's how I see it anyway.

Right I see what you are saying but it is still a continuation of the story.  It literally continues and is the next day when the original is the first day.  It is a straight up 100 percent sequel.  The only reason some people confuse it as not being one is because of the confusing recap that takes place the first 15 minutes or so.  Once that recap is over, it is 100 percent a sequel.  Friday the 13th 2 and Phantasm 2 have similar recaps.. The thing about Evil Dead though is they couldn't get all the actresses to come back for the recap, so that is why people get confused and think it is just a remake.  Some people think it is a remake once they see Bruce driving to the cabin again but that is just part of the recap.

Last edited by PrinceofDarkness (2012-08-25 15:16:57)

I'm really looking forward to it tbh. I'm glad Ash won't be in it so there's less to compare. I'm gonna go right into it like its a new movie like I try to with all movies/remakes/reboots and adaptations.

PrinceofDarkness wrote:

Right I see what you are saying but it is still a continuation of the story.  It literally continues and is the next day when the original is the first day.  It is a straight up 100 percent sequel.  The only reason some people confuse it as not being one is because of the confusing recap that takes place the first 15 minutes or so.  Once that recap is over, it is 100 percent a sequel.  Friday the 13th 2 and Phantasm 2 have similar recaps.. The thing about Evil Dead though is they couldn't get all the actresses to come back for the recap, so that is why people get confused and think it is just a remake.  Some people think it is a remake once they see Bruce driving to the cabin again but that is just part of the recap.

I see the recap thing. It's probably more confusing because in the first there are 5 friends in the first place. In the 2nd there is just Ash and his girlfriend, who is dead before the other 4 join. It's pretty easy to see it as a remake. Either way, it doesn't really matter that much. Anyone can see it how they like. Raimi did what he did for whatever reason but the 2nd is arguably the more favoured than the first. Some say ED2 is a remake of a remake because Within the Woods came first.

Evil Dead 2 is in absolutely no way a remake.  Right when Ash wakes up outside, it is a completely new film and story 100 percent.  It is literally the next day.

Last edited by PrinceofDarkness (2012-08-26 16:12:26)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0092991/faq#.2.1.1

Explained here^

Last edited by PrinceofDarkness (2012-08-26 16:09:55)

Yes we get that, but it's easy to see why there was confusion. But really, does it matter THAT much what people think? It's a great movie and I'm looking forward to the remake.

I would consider Evil Dead a remake.  It's definitely not a true sequel, because that would mean Ash takes his new girflriend back out to the exact same house where all his friends and sister were killed and replays the same incantation on the tape player.  No.  Raimi took the original film, excised characters and condensed it down to roughly 20 or so minutes.  Whereas the first Evil Dead ends with Ash being captured by the evil force, in ED2 Raimi uses that moment to kick the story in a whole new direction.  But that first 20 minutes or whatever are a condensed retelling of the original film.

Think of it as being kind of the opposite of Rob Zombie's Halloween remake, which starts with all new material before finally settling in to the actual retelling the original's story.

Anyway, yeah, ED2?  Definitely a remake, IMO.

That's what I didn't get. If it was a recap why didn't he just use the old footage like the do at the beginning of a tv episode where they say "previously on...". There are no mention of the original 5 friends. Just Ash and his girlfriend. I remember reading that the reason he did what he did with ED2 was because he was unhappy with some of the things he did with ED especially the lightening and stuff. Imdb claim it's a recap too, but I am never 100% satisfied with the "facts" imdb put up as they are submitted by just anyone like Wikipedia. I know there were some contract issues with the original cast, which is why its a different Linda (my biggest disapointment, possessed linda in the first was completely terrifying while ED2 girlfriend was pretty dull).

It wouldn't be the first time a filmmaker decided to redo his freshman effort on his next project.  It happens a lot in the low-budget world, where a filmmaker's first film is successful so they take the bread they make from it and remake the first film the way they really wanted it to be.  And as far as that goes, Evil Dead itself is a remake of Raimi and Campbell's "Within the Woods," which is the short film they made and sold around to earn funds to make Evil Dead to begin with.

I've got a copy of Within the Woods but never watched it. I keep meaning to but not really had the time. That's where the remake of a remake comes from. I will get round to it, I've seen clips when watching video reviews and it looks terrible quality! But all greats start somewhere.

Yeah, pretty much the only copy you'll find of Within the Woods is a BADLY track-marked VHS dub from about twenty five years ago. lol

It's a shame, too.  Despite Raimi and crew having absolutely no budget for it and it having been filmed on 8mm film, it's actually not all that bad. hmm

I think I remember reading that fans wanted him to put it on the dvd as a special feature but he refused. I dunno if he was ashamed of it or what. I got the copy off Azzy I think.

The problem with Within The Woods is owners' rights.  He got about 30-some people to put up the money for it, so he could show studios his idea and get funding for Evil Dead.  I think I read it in Bruce's book If Chins Could Kill.

It's always about distributor rights.  sad

LoudLon wrote:

I would consider Evil Dead a remake.  It's definitely not a true sequel, because that would mean Ash takes his new girflriend back out to the exact same house where all his friends and sister were killed and replays the same incantation on the tape player.  No.  Raimi took the original film, excised characters and condensed it down to roughly 20 or so minutes.  Whereas the first Evil Dead ends with Ash being captured by the evil force, in ED2 Raimi uses that moment to kick the story in a whole new direction.  But that first 20 minutes or whatever are a condensed retelling of the original film.

Think of it as being kind of the opposite of Rob Zombie's Halloween remake, which starts with all new material before finally settling in to the actual retelling the original's story.

Anyway, yeah, ED2?  Definitely a remake, IMO.

Did you not read the link I posted?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0092991/faq#.2.1.1

It is in every way a true sequel and is in absolutely no way a remake.  The part in Evil Dead 2 where Ash takes his new girlfriend and plays the same incantation on the player is a RECAP of the first film.  RAIMI wanted to RESHOOT the remake but wasn't able to get all the actors back so he reshot the recap with only 2 of the characters.  Once Ash wakes up in the front yard, the recap is over. 

Evil Dead 1 is the first day at the cabin and it ends right before the Evil force can get him.  Evil Dead 2 starts off with a recap of Evil Dead 1 and then it picks up RIGHT WHERE EVIL DEAD 1 LEFT OFF which makes it a sequel.

Raimi uses that moment to kick the story in a whole new direction? Sorry that is just not true at all.

Last edited by PrinceofDarkness (2012-08-29 15:33:39)

UltraViolence wrote:

Yes we get that, but it's easy to see why there was confusion. But really, does it matter THAT much what people think? It's a great movie and I'm looking forward to the remake.

It is definitely easy to see why there was confusion which is why it has been explained and answered on IMDB faq.  It kind of does matter what people think because it seems a decent amount think that Evil Dead 2 (one of the best Horror sequels ever) is in some way a remake.  Which is not true whatsoever.

Last edited by PrinceofDarkness (2012-08-29 15:26:47)

I am such a devoted fan of the original Evil Dead, and am of the opinion that ED2 is a remake of sorts, that I can't help but hate the idea of this new movie.  There's no need to remake Evil Dead. I know that Rami and Campbell (one of my personal heroes, btw) are somewhat involved and all that happy crap, but still.  Sigh.

I just recently watched Within The Woods on YouTube recently, and it was almost un-viewable, the copy was so old and tracky, but it was still worth it, just for the nostalgic feel.

Also met Bruce at a signing for If Chins Could Kill, and my already solid crush was totally cemented after that.  What a charmer!  Tall, dark and handsome, funny, and super nice to the fans. 

Mixed feelings, definitely!

Just found a slew of screen-caps here:

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/ … s/?a=68747

Hmm, I don't know.  It looks like it's going to be more straight up horror FX, but even E D had fun with its gore.

I did like one of the comments on the link-

"
So, the character's names in Evil Dead are:

David
Eric
Mia
Olivia
Natalie

...Oh, I'm sure their initials are just coincidence. ;-)
"

Good eye Az...I don't know...I feel if they did a remake that HAD an Ash character, I'd probably hate it and not want to see it.  I mean there's no filling Bruce's role without completely embarrassing one's self.  So the fact that they want to bring in a fresh crop of deadite food means they can mess with the ending and not be locked in to the original storyline.   that said if they make a sequel to this, it'll likely be horrid.