Topic: Evil Dead 2 is a sequel. Let the confusion end

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0092991/faq#.2.1.1

Here is what it says..

Is this film a remake or a sequel?

"A sequel, DESPITE the first 7 minutes of the film distorting the continuity between the two movies; this has merely been provided as a re-cap. It is said that Sam Raimi had lost the rights to the first film and had to reshoot the begining in order to provide said re-cap so new footage was shot. The second film really begins when Ash is propelled into the air by the deadite forces as seen in the first film"

"The first 7 mins of Evil Dead II are a re-cap of events from the first film with some trims made, just to get the important stuff covered in so little time. This re-cap had to be re-shot as there were legal isues with getting footage from the first film. Which is why there is a "new" Linda and none of the original characters (except Ash and Linda) return."

Last edited by PrinceofDarkness (2012-08-29 15:36:09)

Re: Evil Dead 2 is a sequel. Let the confusion end

^^^ Funny thing about IMDB.  Like wikipedia, any old body can write/edit information, right or wrong.  And who wrote that?  A horror fan.

Well, I'm a horror fan, too.  And I say remake. wink

It's a re-imaging of The Evil Dead, therefore it's a remake but calling it a remake wouldn't look good for the original so Raimi made a connection with the first scene from the original movie to the second and then just basically remade it from his eyes but to the majority of us, it's a sequel.

So yeah, remake in other words.

Edit: Also this is my 200 post...boo ya cool

Last edited by Scavenger of Human Sorrow (2012-08-29 15:44:03)

LoudLon wrote:

^^^ Funny thing about IMDB.  Like wikipedia, any old body can write/edit information, right or wrong.  And who wrote that?  A horror fan.

Well, I'm a horror fan, too.  And I say remake. wink

How can it be a remake when it is the next day?  Evil Dead 1 is the first day at the cabin.  Evil Dead 2 is recap and then the second day at the cabin.

Last edited by PrinceofDarkness (2012-08-29 15:59:15)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evil_Dead_II

This here says it is a retcon sequel whatever that means.

^^

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v93/loudlon/Animated/LoudNoises.gif

I say thats its a hybrid remake/sequel mutant.

Last edited by Vasquez (2012-08-29 18:29:13)

haha thread closed^

a sequel mutant for sure

Last edited by PrinceofDarkness (2012-08-29 17:34:23)

Vasquez wrote:

I say thats its a hybrid remake/sequel mutant.

a deadite mutant/sequel hybrid i should say

or a remake that becomes possessed by a sequel?

PrinceofDarkness wrote:

How can it be a remake when it is the next day?  Evil Dead 1 is the first day at the cabin.  Evil Dead 2 is recap and then the second day at the cabin.

Where do you get that it's the next day?  It doesn't say it in the movie.

If ED2 was a sequel, that means that Ash willingly went back to the cabin where he himself destroyed the demon-possessed bodies of his friends and sister, and that he went back with a new girlfriend -- which itself means he got over the death of his girlfriend who died in the first movie, then found a new girlfriend whom he convinced to fall in love with him and take a trip to a cabin in the woods with him,  and that he did this, according to you,  in the space of one day.  And that he willingly replayed the exact same incantation that caused him all the hell the previous day.

I don't think so.

ED made enough money that Raimi could afford to make another picture.  He chose to remake ED, the way he would have done it if he'd had the money the first time.  Plain.  And.  Simple.  So he took what he wanted to keep from the first one, got rid of the rest and made a new story from it.  That is the living, breathing definition of a remake.

Incidentally, "retcon" is a portmanteu for "retroactive continuity."  Basically it means to rewrite history.  It's like rewriting the bible and making Jesus a woman, then telling everybody that's what the bible has always said. 

Oh, and on a personal note, you might want to hit the brakes on the ol' ego, pal.  Kind of vain to assume that yours is the last word on anything or to imply others are "confused" because their opinions don't gel with your own.  And I'll leave that at that.

Are you trying to say that Evil Dead 2 is not the next day?

Go back and watch the first 8 minutes of the movie dude.  This is getting ridiculous. I just did and it is clear that the first 8 minutes are a recap and when ash wakes up from the puddle, it is the the next day.  It doesn't need to SAY it in the movie...

In Evil Dead 2 when Ash and his girlfriend are driving up to the cabin, that is 100 percent a recap of the first film.  Raimi reshot the recap and was not able to get back the same actors.  When Ash plays the tape back and it is still night time, this is still a recap of Evil Dead 1.  If you watch it, you can tell by the way it is sped through that it is a recap!  Then Ash kills his girlfriend exactly like he killed her in Evil Dead 1(still recap) and then Ash ends up face down in the puddle(end of recap).  this is 8 minutes into the film.  NOW, it is the NEXT DAY.  Evil Dead 2 the sequel.  Evil dead 1 is the first night they are at the cabin, and Evil Dead 2 after the recap is the second day he is stuck at the cabin.  All you have to do is go back and watch it, I don't care how many times you've seen it.  I just put it in and it is so darn obvious dude..

I'm sorry if my ego offended you but I hate to tell you that some things are not opinion.  It is a fact that Evil Dead 2 when Ash wakes up from the puddle is the second day he is stranded at the Cabin. 

This recap is no difference than the recap in Phantasm.  The only difference is this had to be re-shot without a few of the actors.  It serves the exact same purpose though.  The recap ends and the sequel begins just like in Phantasm 2

Just answer me one question.

How can you not see when Ash wakes up out of the puddle, that it is the next day????He spent the whole night at the cabin in Evil Dead 1 and it ends with his face in the puddle.  Then after the recap in Evil Dead 2 he wakes up out of the puddle!!! It is the next day clear as can be.

Last edited by PrinceofDarkness (2012-08-29 19:40:33)

I'm not offended.  I'm irritated.  I've said this to you before: discuss, converse, disagree -- fine.  But do so respectfully.  But you don't seem to want to listen.  Rather, you continue to insist on always being right and going out of your way to prove everyone else wrong.  And it's gotten on my last nerve.

That the beginning is a recap makes no difference.  The second half of Halloween '07 is a recap of the first Halloween, but you don't hear anyone calling that one a sequel, do you?  Now I know better than to think I'll ever change your mind, and you will never change mine, so let's agree to disagree.  But be advised I'm not having this "your opinion is an opinion, not a fact" conversation again.

Just go back and watch it man.  You said to me "how do you know it is the next day, where does it SAY that"

You want to talk about irritated.  It shows it in the darn movie plain and simple and I've got someone saying to me "Where does it say that." 

It doesn't have to say it, it's freaking obvious right there for you on screen.  It is the next day plain and simple.  Some things are facts.  It is a fact that it is the next day in Evil Dead 2 when he wakes up from the puddle, that is all I'm saying.

it can't be a remake if it is the next day and it is 100 percent the next day in Evil Dead 2.

Last edited by PrinceofDarkness (2012-08-29 20:05:32)

I never said he didn't wake up the next day.   But you know what?  It doesn't matter.  I'm shutting this useleess, self-serving thread down.

If you want to complain about it take it up with one of the other mods, because the "fact" is, I've had about all of you I'm willing to take.  And that's all I'M saying.

Just wanted to share this; a PM PrinceofDarkness sent me in response to this thread, after I'd already told him that if he had a problem to take it up with another mod.  And keep in mind that he'd already been warned three times about his attitude when disagreeing with others -- once via PM, twice on the board itself:

"Dude you asked me right there in that thread "where does it say it is in the next day, it doesn't say that in the movie." 

Then you come back and say "I never said it wasn't the next day."

I wasn't even rude to you.  If anything I should have called you an idiot for just simply knowing nothing about the damn film.  Watch both movies and then come back and let's talk about it.  You clearly don't really have any idea what is going on and you are making completely no sense.  You are also way too sensitive."

And you are banned.  Can't say I never warned you, pal.

Now then.  For those of you who would like to continue this discussion respectfully and rationally, please feel free.

Cap Howdy wrote:

@LoudLon You did everything right.
http://www.talkandroid.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/seal-of-approval.jpg

Last edited by Cap Howdy (2012-08-30 16:22:03)

The funny thing is, that over the years Raimi, Tapert, and The Bruce have gone back and forth on whether it was a sequel or a remake.  If you read the various books they've written, and listened to the commentaries on the different versions of ED2, you get different explanations. 

So, if the guys who made the film can't decide on sequel or remake over the years- does it really matter?  What is the primary purpose of film?  To entertain us!  And who is not entertained by The Bruce smashing plates over his head?

azathoth wrote:

The funny thing is, that over the years Raimi, Tapert, and The Bruce have gone back and forth on whether it was a sequel or a remake.  If you read the various books they've written, and listened to the commentaries on the different versions of ED2, you get different explanations. 

So, if the guys who made the film can't decide on sequel or remake over the years- does it really matter?  What is the primary purpose of film?  To entertain us!  And who is not entertained by The Bruce smashing plates over his head?

Who's laughing now?

azathoth wrote:

Well said Azathoth. Although after reading through all the posts now I need to go back and watch the second one. It's been far too long as it is and I can't fully remember it.

LoudLon wrote:

And you are banned.  Can't say I never warned you, pal.

Now then.  For those of you who would like to continue this discussion respectfully and rationally, please feel free.

Lon, you have a terrible taste for good movies, and Jaws will be approaching your crotchal region soon.  Also, you smell funny and your dog poops in your shoes at night.  lol

Haven't had the chance to use this one in a while.  I think it was last used for an El Capitano smack down about a year ago.

http://ilechoo.com/gallery/albums/gifs/banhammer_1.gif

Seriously, people, when we say the #1 Rule at HM is Respect, we mean it.  There is a reason people have stayed here for 6+ years, and it sure isn't my good looks.

http://ucp.totfarm.com/pics/pic_348464001187286403.jpg

Mr. Black wrote:

Who's laughing now?

"Fine?  You just cut up your girlfriend with a chainsaw.  Is that fine?"

Pyhhra wrote:

Well said Azathoth. Although after reading through all the posts now I need to go back and watch the second one. It's been far too long as it is and I can't fully remember it.

Thanks.  I'd recommend doing a back-to-back watching (or at least the last scenes of #1) to see what you think.  I honestly can see it going either way.

And let us not forget the discrepancy between the end of ED2 and the beginning or Army of Darkness.

azathoth wrote:
Mr. Black wrote:

Who's laughing now?

"Fine?  You just cut up your girlfriend with a chainsaw.  Is that fine?"

Groovy.

Work shed...

^^
Dang, beat me to it!

I'll swallow your soul!  Swallow this.  <boomstick booms>

Even now we have your darling Linda's soul!

<--- but doesn't know a damn thing about the movie. roll