Topic: Rank the Friday the 13th movies, from your least fave' to your fave'

I saw the Halloween version of this topic up and I thought...

"Hey! Why not have one for the other awesome Slasher series?"

A good OP goes first, so here's the way I rank mine:

1) Friday the 13th: Part II (1981) - I always loved this one, and it actually was the first Friday I had ever seen. I loved everything about it and the kills are so awesome too, so this would be my favorite by only a tight margin.

2) Friday the 13th: The Final Chapter (1984) - This one could be my favorite too, like I said it's really a toss up between my top three favorite Friday films that any of them could be #1. But like Part II there was always something about The Final Chapter that I found super awesome.

3) Friday the 13th: Jason Lives (1986) - Who doesn't love zombie Jason, huh? lol I actually really enjoy this movie and when I first started seeing all the Fridays for the first time I thought I would of hated each movie more as they went on but that wasn't the case. The kills in Part Six are just insane, like the one where he rips the dudes arm off? I love that one big_smile But yeah, I love Jason Lives.

4) Friday the 13th (1980) - The original! It's one of the more creepy Friday movies I'd say, and it's just an awesome movie all together really. I think it's one of the those cases were the sequel(s) could be better than the original, well in my case it is. I still really like it though, a whole lot.

5) Friday the 13th: Part III (1982) - Around this point is were I find it tough to rank the movies because they all are fun movies for me (mostly), but I'd have to put Part III here.

6) Friday the 13th: Jason Takes Manhattan (1989) - I don't really understand the hate for this movie...I actually really like it lol I thought it was fun to watch, even if it is silly.

7) Friday the 13th: Part VII The New Blood (1988) - The whole thing of this movie with the telekinetic powers I really found interesting, even more so the way she couldn't control them fully. I wasn't a huge fan of the ending but I still liked the movie nonetheless.

8) Freddy vs. Jason (2003) - Yeah...I wasn't the biggest fan of this but hey, it is enjoyable to an extent and way better than the other movies coming.

9) Jason X (2002) - I have to admit, some of the kills were actually really cool but yeah apart from that...

10) Friday the 13th (2009) - I don't like this movie, I just think...what were they thinking when doing it? It's just all over the place. It doesn't even make sense to me.

11) Friday the 13th: A New Beginning (1985) - Words cannot express how much I hate Part VI of the Friday franchise, I just hate it to extreme measures. I can't even watch it anymore, I tried liking it and ugh...I just hate it so much.

12) Jason Goes to Hell: The Final Friday (1993) - I'd make a big statement and say, not one person enjoys Jason Goes to Hell more than any other Friday movie and I'd be correct except for a few that enjoy it simply because of how bad it is. This is worst for me. As for the plot...wh- why? Who would actually think it's good? I remember when I first seen it and didn't know what this one was about (my own fault, but I wanted it to be a surprise more than anything) and yeah...I was left stunned.

So, what way would you rank them?

Re: Rank the Friday the 13th movies, from your least fave' to your fave'

I'm not really a huge fan of this series in general, but I appreciate its status in the genre.  That said...

1. Part 4
2. Part 6
3. Part 3
4. Part 5
5. Part 1
6. Part 7
7. Part 2
8. Jason Goes to Hell
9. Freddy vs jason
10. Jason X
11. Jason Takes Manhattan
12. Friday the 13th '09

You would rank the remake worse than Jason Goes to Hell? yikes Really? And about not being a huge fan of the series in general, would you prefer the Halloween franchise over the Friday franchise?

Dude, I hated Friday '09.  Hated, hated, hated.  I'm using the word "hate" here about Friday '09.  I've already mentioned a couple times on the boards how after the movie was over I literally stormed out of the theater, shoved the door open and everything.

And yes, I prefer Halloween over Friday, but that's not to say I think the entire series is good on the whole.  Like the Friday series it has some majorly weak entries, but what sets it above for me is that I like the original Halloween better than all the Fridays put together. lol

Yeah, the remake was pretty crappy like I said in the first post but I just can't stick Jason Goes to Hell, they are very close to each other though. Don't get me wrong.

And ah yeah I can see why you see it that way smile I love the original Halloween myself, but I actually prefer the Friday series as a whole over the Halloween series as a whole. I would say though the Halloween series has more stinkers in there than Friday does lol

Oh, I'll definitely give you that one.  While I may not be a huge Friday series fan, I do still enjoy a few of the installments.  I just wouldn't consider any of them absolute favorites.

Friday the 13th (1980) 5/10-  I am not big fan of the first movie the last time saw it, cause of the other sequels. As I have seen a lot more times and there seem to have a lot more fun in those.

Friday the 13th Part 2 (1981) 5/10- I did not find Jason scary in this movie at all, i clad the movie wasn't to long.

Friday the 13th Part III (1982) 9/10- I like this movie so much more then Friday 13th part 2 , it was more scary, more creepy and even more nudity and Jason was so much more scary.

Friday the 13th: The Final Chapter (1984) 7/10 -I did find some of scenes creepy and I did find Jason scary again in this movie and also found him really scary near the end of the movie.

The ending was really odd but it did work as I found it really chilling.

Friday the 13th: A New Beginning (1985) 6/10 -I did not hate it at all, it''s not the worse in this series, I do think it fits in this series perfectly.

I like the idea of fresh plot guessing who the killer and am happy who the killer turn out to be. it makes sense in the end.

The death were not up to normal Friday 13th grossness but there okay kills and acting was not great from everyone, it was descent for a Friday 13th movie

Jason Lives: Friday the 13th Part VI (1986) 7/10 - In this movie The deaths scenes were okay but were not as gory as the other movies.

This has so much more humour and it not as dark as the others one (I did laugh a lot at the jokes and there no nudity in this movie at all. (which is really odd for this series)

The acting was really good from most (not all) of cast even the little kids were good.

Friday the 13th Part VII: The New Blood (1988) 3/10 - e deaths in this movie were not that good, not that gory at all, the acting didn't help the movie all, i did not care if Jason killed them or not.

Jason himself was not scary and for some reason his head seem to look 10X bigger then Part 6, make up effect was really bad too.

Friday the 13th Part VIII: Jason Takes Manhattan (1989)-This is second times, i have seen this and again not in full, i just could not get into this movie at all,

This as be the only movie in THE series, that i just can't seem sit thought at all

Jason Goes to Hell: The Final Friday (1993) 5/10 -I really liked some of death scenes in this movie, when cop was melting was really nasty and there were nice special effect in this movie too

Jason X 4/10 - I find it really boring and it was hard for me to try stay awake.

Jason going to space was not a good idea at all and Jason getting upgrade was such a really bad idea. i hated that turned him into some robot. he was not the Jason we all knew or have been scared of before.

The acting wasn't half that bad and there were only one or two good deaths scenes this movie.

Freddy vs. Jason (2003)7/10 -The most of the movie is good but Some scenes were bit over the top.like when Jason was getting tossed like a rag doll which I did not like the ending was a little disappointed.

I did like Jason Kills in this movie was really good gory deaths scenes (4ponit for that).Freddy Dreams had some really Creppy moments (3 Ponits for this).

Acting from everyone was really good. I think this movie could have been a lot better, It Still is a really good movie

Friday the 13th (2009) 4/10 - Flat from start to end with a lot of action, somehow I was still bored

So
Friday the 13th Part III (1982)
Friday the 13th: The Final Chapter (1984)
Jason Lives: Friday the 13th Part VI (1986)
Freddy vs. Jason (2003)
Friday the 13th: A New Beginning (1985)
Friday the 13th (1980)
Friday the 13th Part 2 (1981)
Friday the 13th (2009)
Friday the 13th Part VII: The New Blood (1988)

Last edited by BASSI (2012-09-01 15:20:40)

Love the Friday movies, easily my favorite horror franchise.

1. Part 4
2. Part 3
3. Part 6
4. Part 1
5. Friday the 13th 2009
6. Freddy Vs. Jason
7. Part 2
8. Part 8
9. Part 5
10. Part 7
11. Jason Goest To Hell
12. Jason X

^ Hmm your way of ranking them is very interesting I must say! I'm quite shocked to see Part II all the way down to rank 7 to be honest, not a big fan? Though I would agree with you on most rankings, like Jason Lives being up there at #3. It's such a fun movie lol

Of the 3 ive seen im going

1. Part 4. By a CLEAR mile. In fact i just watched The Prowler right before i have posted this and i loved that 2. Joseph Zito u are the man.
2. Part 1
3. Part 2

Jason Lives is my favorite.

I like 1, 2, 3, 4, and 7.

Manhattan is ok...kinda.

Freddy VS Jason is pretty cool.

X was a fairly entertaining horrible movie.

Despise A New Beginning.  Jason Goes to Hell is atrocious.  I hate these two equally.  They are horrible.

I have to show support for the remake which I LOVED!  One of my favorite remakes.  It had everything I wanted from a Friday movie.  Yep...I dare to write that!  smile

^ Be on the watch for Lon, he may come after you now Ghost! lol

Nah, Ghostie and I have had that conversation already. lol

Oh wouldn't of wanted to see that one lol

part 1
part 2
part 4
Part 6
Part 3
Part 7
Part 5
F vs J
Reboot
Part 8
Jason Goes to Hell
X

Last edited by HORRORKID (2012-09-02 09:53:52)

1. Part 1
2. Part 4
3. Part 3
4. Part 6
5. Freddy Vs. Jason
6. Part 2
7. Part 7
8. Friday the 13th 2009
9. Part 5
10. Part 8
11. Jason Goest To Hell
12. Jason X

Part 1 - Has that gorgeous dark & grainy early eighties appearance, definitely looks every inch like the 'drive-in classics' of the period. It's not supposed to be taken too seriously, it's just a meat & potatoes slasher flick with splashy and gory effects, cheap shocks and a rollercoaster feel to the proceedings. If you're looking for anything more than blood and scares - you're missing the point. Great film. 9/10.

Part 2 - After the success of the original, this sequel was inevitable, and like most cash ins on a respectable product it feels lacklustre and rushed. Gone is the dark and grainy texture and it's a case of 'hello fluid camerawork and well lit settings and goodbye to the grue and abandonment of the first. Jason casts rather a pathetic figure and the burlap bag with one eyehole doesn't exactly make for a terrifying countenance. Overall it's rather dull - 5/10

Part 3... IN 3D!!! - This time around Jason dons his (now trademark) overalls and hockey mask and... yep, you guessed it, goes around offing teenagers like there's no tomorrow. It may have been visually impressive in its original 3D format but the flat release has many highly annoying scenes that are lost in 2D, like the ten minute long yoyo scene (!). To sum it up Jason pokes lots of pointy things at the camera and the first half is mostly just a showcase for the 3D effects.  Despite this I preferred this over part 2 and the Scooby Do style opening which sees a vanload of machete fodder, including a fat practical joker and 2 VERY unlikely hippies on their merry ol' way to camp had me rooting for their grisly demise. A guilty pleasure of mine. 6.5/10

Part 4 - My second favourite of the sequels, Tom Savini's back on board in this instalment and boy, is it a welcome return. There's some surprisingly good acting on show here and the final girl makes a fine job of looking genuinely scared in all the right places. Savini's fx are top notch, although the gore isn't as plentiful as the first film. Corey Fieldman (the eighties answer to Macauley Culkin ), is quite obviously based on Savini himself and he saves the day by shaving his head and pretending to be mini Jason?!!! Yep, it's fucking bonkers. Also it features the most just-asking-to-get-horribly-killed question in the history of slasher films as one character wanders around in the dark and asks ... "where's the corkscrew"???!!!!!!!!!! Here's a hint - he didn't much like the answer! Lots of fun to be had with part 4 - 8/10

Pat 5 - Nah, fuck it.

Part 6 - My second fave in the series, after the first. This time around Jason is resurrected by a bolt of lightning and becomes super mega astro zombie Jason! Be afraid cos as soon as he rises out of the grave he punches a hole right through some poor sods chest! The acting and humour are fine here, there's a killer soundtrack and Jennifer Cooke looks damn sexy as the sheriff's slutty daughter. It's still a Friday the 13th film so most of the runtime is taken up with introducing irritating characters so they can be killed off a few moments later. The camp councillors are an irksome bunch so it's a pleasure watching them get violently dispatched. This one has its tongue firmly set in its cheek and not only is it the best Friday sequel - it's also one of the best mid to late eighties slashers in general. Loved this one - 8.5/10

Part 7 - Jason Vs. Carrie might sound like fun but it's really not. Notable only for Kane Hodder's first outing as Jason and, possibly the best death scene in the entire series, the fantastic sleeping bag kill. Special effects man John Carl Beuchler also directs this one and goes about it with all the subtlety his initials suggest! Badum - TISH!
Overall - meh - 5/10

Part 8 - Jason Takes Toronto in this laughable EIGTH instalment! The title is a con since only the last 15 minutes or so take place in Toron, oops, I mean Manhattan and it looks nothing like Manhattan either. There's a very silly rooftop decapitation scene before a finale in which Jason is soaked in toxic waste in a sewer and somehow reverts back to being a child again. It's as daft as a brush. 4/10

Jason Goes To Hell - Shit, just plain old shit.  2/10

Jason X - I freaking love this silly, goofy homage to the series, if part 6 gave us 'SuperJason' then here we have space age super-mega-cyber-astronomic-robot-whopping-bionic-Jason!!!!!!!!! This time around, Jason's off into space after being thawed out of his crogenic slumber by, why no other than David Cronenberg himself in one of the most bizarre cameos in slasher film history! The rest of the cast are comprised of macho soldier types and wailing teens - they all end up dead and are fine in their roles. The final girl is excellent in her part and it's just a respectful, funny, exciting and enjoyable ninety minutes or so. Just turn your brain off and have fun. Highly recommended. 8/10.

Friday the 13th (2009) Fuck off Michael Bay. 1/10.

Right, I'm off to get drunk now after writing all that. Thanks for reading.
Laters!

^ I've never liked Michael Bay anyway, but his contribution to the film made me hate him even more.

Friday The 13th: The Final Chapter
Friday The 13th Part VI: Jason Lives
Friday The 13th Part 2
Friday The 13th Part VII: The New Blood
Friday The 13th Part 3
Friday The 13th (1980)
Friday The 13th Part V: A New Beginning
Friday The 13th (2009)
Friday The 13th Part VIII: Jason Takes Manhattan
Jason Goes To Hell: The Final Friday
Freddy Vs. Jason
Jason X

I tend to go back and forth on 4 or 6 as my ultimate favorite.

Gotta start things off with Friday the 13th 1980.  Very well written and directed and I love the twists of the early 80s slashers.  Love the fact that if you were watching it for the first time when it was released, you had no idea who the killer was until the end of the movie.  Really wish I could rewatch the entire series starting from the original with a completely erased memory.  You wouldn't even know anything about a hockey mask until the third film.

Second favorite is Final Chapter - A very young Corey Feldman from the same exact year he did Gremlins.  Crispin Glover at a time where him and his agent were not easy to please.  I like this movie because in my opinion it is the  most 80s/fun of the bunch, while still staying scary.

Friday the 13th 2 -  This basically got me real into the series about 5 years ago.  One of the original party slashers, or at the very least one of the best.

Friday the 13th 3 - Never loved this one too much but it is still the 4th best in the series for obvious reasons.

Friday the 13th 6 Jason Lives - Good campy stuff here but haven't seen it in quite sometime.  Really enjoyed it.

Friday the 13th 7 New Blood - Decent stuff.  If I remember correctly this is the one with the famous Sleeping Bag kill.  I need to rewatch..

Friday the 13 V - Actually didn't mind this one too much until you realize that Jason isn't even the killer. 

Jason Takes Manhatten - Not huge on this one but could watch for the introduction song any day of the week.

Part 1
Part 3
Part 6
Part 2
Part 7
Part 4
Part 8
Part 5
Jason X
Goes To Hell
Remake

ExplorerPOD wrote:

Gotta start things off with Friday the 13th 1980.  Very well written and directed and I love the twists of the early 80s slashers.  Love the fact that if you were watching it for the first time when it was released, you had no idea who the killer was until the end of the movie.  Really wish I could rewatch the entire series starting from the original with a completely erased memory.  You wouldn't even know anything about a hockey mask until the third film.

Second favorite is Final Chapter - A very young Corey Feldman from the same exact year he did Gremlins.  Crispin Glover at a time where him and his agent were not easy to please.  I like this movie because in my opinion it is the  most 80s/fun of the bunch, while still staying scary.

Friday the 13th 2 -  This basically got me real into the series about 5 years ago.  One of the original party slashers, or at the very least one of the best.

Friday the 13th 3 - Never loved this one too much but it is still the 4th best in the series for obvious reasons.

Friday the 13th 6 Jason Lives - Good campy stuff here but haven't seen it in quite sometime.  Really enjoyed it.

Friday the 13th 7 New Blood - Decent stuff.  If I remember correctly this is the one with the famous Sleeping Bag kill.  I need to rewatch..

Friday the 13 V - Actually didn't mind this one too much until you realize that Jason isn't even the killer. 

Jason Takes Manhatten - Not huge on this one but could watch for the introduction song any day of the week.

7 is indeed the one with the sleeping bag kill.

How would you rank the other four movies in there (Jason Goes To Hell, Jason X, FVJ and the reboot)?

Looking at my ranking, I might put the reboot above part 5 these days, they're pretty close. I rather like the reboot, and seem to be among the few here who does.

I've come to appreciate the first flick a little more (though it's still far from a favorite of mine) after having seen an interview with screenwriter Victor Miller.  He explained how he was inspired by Psycho, but rather than having a son keeping the mother alive in his mind, he flipped it and had the mother keeping the son alive in her mind.  I felt stupid when he said it, because in hindsight it's pretty obvious, and I never picked up on it. lol

Also, the infamous "ch ch ch ha ha ha" is actually "ki ki ki ma ma ma" -- the sound designer on the film took the initial sounds of Betsy Palmer saying "Kill" and "mommy" and played them through an echo device.  So when you hear "ki ki ki ma ma ma" it's Mama Voorhees' hearing little Jason's voice compelling her to kill.

Kind of interesting, I thought.

I remember hearing that story.