Topic: The Crue vs Van Halen

Both good back in the day but The Crue still kicks ass.
The Crue still sells out world tours where as Van Halen cancels them..lol
That's what happens when you've lost you luster and appeal!!!
Not to mention Roths little dance ditties....what a has-been.
Check out the Crues book "The Dirt" that's why they still kick it!

Whats your opinion!

Last edited by HELRZR (2012-09-03 07:57:25)

Re: The Crue vs Van Halen

The way I see it is, Van Halen relies on Eddie basically the entire time. Of course the drummer and bassist are important, but it's all  Eddie and Roth. It's a two man band to me. I still enjoy their old stuff, but it's just them two basically.

As for Motley Crue (that's who I gather you mean from "The Crue"), I'm a huge fan of them. They have kickass music and are all about fun. I really like their music, from Girls, Girls, Girls to Home Sweet Home. I think they are awesome and give them a listen way more than I give Van Halen a listen.

I'd go with Crue over Van Halen.

Im going Crue aswell. My fav song of theirs is Kickstart My Heart.

Scavenger of Human Sorrow wrote:

The way I see it is, Van Halen relies on Eddie basically the entire time. Of course the drummer and bassist are important, but it's all  Eddie and Roth. It's a two man band to me. I still enjoy their old stuff, but it's just them two basically.

As for Motley Crue (that's who I gather you mean from "The Crue"), I'm a huge fan of them. They have kickass music and are all about fun. I really like their music, from Girls, Girls, Girls to Home Sweet Home. I think they are awesome and give them a listen way more than I give Van Halen a listen.

I'd go with Crue over Van Halen.

Your Right....whenever band starts changing the line up they lose steam. I believe the bass player for them now is Wolfgang, Eddies son. Eddies has always been the main dude. He has changed the way a lot of guitar players play today.
As for The Crue I don't think any one of them is over the top talented they just new how to put out some good shit and can entertain.
AC/DC for example.....basic bare bone guitar playing but it never gets boring!

I vote the Crue as well.  As a kid Van Halen was my absolute favorite band, and I had all their cassettes, and never thought I'd hear a band as great as them -- until I heard Shout at the Devil. lol

I'm still a big VH fan but I agree that after a certain point, Eddie VH was carryng the other guys and the music began to suffer because of it.  The last VH album I bought was the one where they'd hired Gary Cherone as their lead singer.  I knew I wasn't going to like it because I wasn't all that big on Cherone in the first place, but I had no idea it was going to be as bas as it was.

And while Motley had their hiccups (Vince Neil quitting/getting fired (depends on who in the band you ask) eventually they got their shit back together and are still rocking hard to this day.  Their last single, Saints of Los Angeles, is just as hard hitting and anthemic as anything else they've ever done.

And Mick Mars is one of my personal guitar heroes.  Dude never seems to get his due credit.

They're both pretty equal for me.

The Crue is awesome, but I listen to Van Halen albums more often.

With their debut album, 1984, Fair Warning...those albums are classics that The Crue (IMO) haven't matched. Plus there's the OU812 album I dig too, from the 'Hagar' years. But of course, it's all a matter of taste. No playing down Motely Crue either, they're a great band - and Mick Mars is a great player.

I'm pretty much with Lon on this.

Man, VH was the band to see back in the day. I was fortunate enuf to see them 3X, and they rocked the house every time.

It was my younger brother who got me into the Crue. He was the hard rocker of the family. Didn't take long after hearing them to get hooked.

I dig both bands! Presently, the Crue are a better band. VH has lost their edge, for obvious reasons. And were I able to catch one of them in concert? I would have to go with the Crue. And not just because I've already seen VH.

Of the two bands. I still enjoy listening to VH a bit more these days.

LoudLon wrote:

I vote the Crue as well.  As a kid Van Halen was my absolute favorite band, and I had all their cassettes, and never thought I'd hear a band as great as them -- until I heard Shout at the Devil. lol

I'm still a big VH fan but I agree that after a certain point, Eddie VH was carryng the other guys and the music began to suffer because of it.  The last VH album I bought was the one where they'd hired Gary Cherone as their lead singer.  I knew I wasn't going to like it because I wasn't all that big on Cherone in the first place, but I had no idea it was going to be as bas as it was.

And while Motley had their hiccups (Vince Neil quitting/getting fired (depends on who in the band you ask) eventually they got their shit back together and are still rocking hard to this day.  Their last single, Saints of Los Angeles, is just as hard hitting and anthemic as anything else they've ever done.

And Mick Mars is one of my personal guitar heroes.  Dude never seems to get his due credit.

I think because Mick always has chosen to take a back seat and let it ride plus he has got that back disease which gives him a considerable amount of pain.

Ankylosing spondilitis.  Which is why the poor guy doesn't move around much on stage.  But luckily it doesn't keep his hands from ripping out killer riffs.

LoudLon wrote:

Ankylosing spondilitis.  Which is why the poor guy doesn't move around much on stage.  But luckily it doesn't keep his hands from ripping out killer riffs.

True enough LL..Oh, so thats what its called..thanks!

Well,  Van Halen holds a special place in my heart because I loved them when I was kid.  I just recently saw them in concert and they still have it.  Eddie sounded just like the albums and Roth still has the moves, high kicks and all!  I even bought their latest album which sounds like classic VH to me.  I feel bad for the fans that didn't get to see them, but let's face it they are getting older and couldn't handle touring anymore.  I even liked them when they were Van Hagar, but I saw Sammy in concert before he was in Van Halen smile

But, if I had to choose only one of the two bands to listen to,  I would have to pick Mötley Crüe.  I just like the heavier sound better.   I have not seen them in concert yet, but it seems like they are still touring so I might still get a chance to.

Ironically enough, I've only been to one big, arena rock concert in my life, and it was Van Halen (1992, For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge Tour). lol

92 must have been Van Hagar huh?  I would have liked to see that smile

It was actually a really good show.  You know Hagar's something of a guitar guru himself.  He and Eddie played dueling guitar for a few minutes before Sammy threw his hands up in defeat and Eddie launched into Poundcake. lol

Awesome, I would have liked that...

I saw Sammy during his I Can't Drive 55 Tour....lol  He drove his red Trans Am out on stage!

You know what VH gig I would of loved to be at?

This one. smile

Last edited by Scavenger of Human Sorrow (2012-09-03 17:37:05)

^^^ That's what I like about EVH.  Unlike so many other blisteringly fast players, he insists on maintaining an actual melody and isn't just jerking off all over the fretboard.  Unlike, say, Yngwie Malmsteen.  When he plays, it sounds like a hot mess to me. hmm

DirtyGirl wrote:

I saw Sammy during his I Can't Drive 55 Tour....lol  He drove his red Trans Am out on stage!

I bet that was awesome.  One of my big regrets is that I never endeavored to go to more concerts.  My obsessions with movies and chasing tail in my twenties took up the majority of my time.  And I lived in Louisville, where every major act comes through.  My friends used to invite me to concerts all the time, but I always turned them down in favor of those other two things. lol

Scavenger of Human Sorrow wrote:

You know what VH gig I would of loved to be at?

This one. smile

Nice!  He still does Eruption live.  He had about a 15 minute solo with Eruption and Cathedral.

http://youtu.be/94Y8BQdiJ24

^ Yeah I know what you mean, but I still like some of Yngwie Malmsteen's stuff but most of his stuff is him just shredding as fast as possible all over the fretboard and that's it.

Another guitarist I wouldn't like is Tom Morello, all those stupid effects he uses. He nearly relies on them solely.

LoudLon wrote:
DirtyGirl wrote:

I bet that was awesome.  One of my big regrets is that I never endeavored to go to more concerts.  My obsessions with movies and chasing tail in my twenties took up the majority of my time.  And I lived in Louisville, where every major act comes through.  My friends used to invite me to concerts all the time, but I always turned them down in favor of those other two things. lol

You just needed to find a girl that likes Metal, then you could do both at the same time!

I know what you mean, Scav.  Morello's actually pretty good when he's not playing through half a dozen effects pedals at the same time. lol

Another great guitarist is George Lynch.  After almost fifteen years of playing, I still can't play 95% of the solos in his Mr. Scary instrumental. lol

DirtyGirl wrote:

You just needed to find a girl that likes Metal, then you could do both at the same time!

Finding a girl who likes metal in Southern Indiana/Northern Kentucky was never a problem.  Finding a girl who likes metal in Southern Indiana/Northern Kentucky who didn't have five kids from five different fathers, or an STD, or both -- that was the problem. lol