Topic: The Military Discussion Thread

in this thread pretty much discuss all things military related, but keep it civilised and discuss things from military technology, tactics and strategies, to military history and stories. US Navy reporting in big_smile

Re: The Military Discussion Thread

US Army, Infantry, 1st and 21st (Gimlets, hoo-ah!), 25th Infantry Division (Light), 1990-1993.  One tour in the Persian Gulf War, Air Assault wings, Expert Infantry Badge, Expert Marksman, Meritorious Service Medal, honorably discharged with a rank of E-4 Corporal promotable.

In other words, I was kind of a bad-ass. big_smile

Not in the military, but I wanted to say that it's good to see you here Tripod smile

@Lon- badass until a Fiat took you out!  lol
Just kidding!

I love military history and tech.  But everyone, please keep politics out of this thread.

azathoth wrote:

@Lon- badass until a Fiat took you out!  lol

Not the first time a US soldier's ever been taken out by an Italian. lol

Yeah, that's right.  I'm topical.  If seventy years late. lol

^^
Huh, I was thinking Zombi 3/4 (forget which).  tongue

I am not military but my Dad was and my Husband's father was also.  I grew up in an area close to Fort Lewis, Washington.  My mother worked on base also.

I have no connections to the military but a while back I saw this documentary about Snipers in the military and god damn it was awesome.

Big up Tripod & LoudLon. I'm a big wimp who's never even held a gun, let alone fired one in combat so good on yaz!. I've always been fascinated by military history. My all time favourite documentary series is 'The World at War'. For anyone unfamiliar I really can't stress enough how urgent and important this documentary is...
Here's the first episode:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElKbQhs0pO8
And here's the full torrent if you'd like:
http://kat.ph/the-world-at-war-1973-com … 00179.html

Last edited by Fulcento (2012-09-03 17:13:33)

DirtyGirl wrote:

I am not military but my Dad was and my Husband's father was also.  I grew up in an area close to Fort Lewis, Washington.

That's where I did my out-processing in '93.  It was awesome.  I was there a week, an hour's drive away from the birthplace of grunge during its heyday.  We hit the clubs, some bands actually set up on street corners playing for free...I don't remember any of their names but it was awesome all the same.

I have to say though, boot camp totally helped me a lot. With a 30+ year old first class or Chief telling me what to do, what to eat, what to wear, what to say, and everything else. So those 9 weeks, I had a 100% good decision making life time. Good thing I got Hospital Corpsman, with 5 months schooling on top of it all. Anyone thinking of joining the military, any branch you can't go wrong.

azathoth wrote:

But everyone, please keep politics out of this thread.

^^^ This!!

So, Tri, where's your duty station going to be?  Or are you reserves?

LoudLon wrote:
DirtyGirl wrote:

I am not military but my Dad was and my Husband's father was also.  I grew up in an area close to Fort Lewis, Washington.

That's where I did my out-processing in '93.  It was awesome.  I was there a week, an hour's drive away from the birthplace of grunge during its heyday.  We hit the clubs, some bands actually set up on street corners playing for free...I don't remember any of their names but it was awesome all the same.

I used to go see bar-bands in Seattle all the time then.   It was fun times!

Penn State played Navy today.  PSU won, but once the game was over, the PSU team walked down to the south end of the stadium (where the visiting fans, ie. Navy guys, sit) and saluted the Navy guys while the Blue Band played the Navy anthem.  After that, both teams walked to the north end (where the PSU student section is) and stood while the Blue Band played the Penn State anthem.

It wasn't shown on TV, but I was listening on the radio, and it was awesome.  Thank you Penn State for honoring our armed forces like that.  This is how you redeem yourself.

I have Ten years in USN Communications, My title was Radioman.  My first job was working with civilians testing data programs in a simulated LHA mockup. I worked at HFR, HFT, VLF, sites, Msg traffic and Top Secret Crypto systems. I enjoyed teaching/training the most. Loved every minute of it. I have been to American Samoa, Hawaii, Calif, Florida, Australia, New Zealand.

Love ya Daph.

Loves ya right back Az:)

Happy monkey big_smile

thedeadshallrule wrote:

I have Ten years in USN Communications, My title was Radioman.  My first job was working with civilians testing data programs in a simulated LHA mockup. I worked at HFR, HFT, VLF, sites, Msg traffic and Top Secret Crypto systems. I enjoyed teaching/training the most. Loved every minute of it. I have been to American Samoa, Hawaii, Calif, Florida, Australia, New Zealand.

Navy, Hawaii...so you spent some time at Pearl Harbor, yes?

By the way, good on you.  I didn't know you were former military. smile

^^
Would be funny if you were stationed together and never knew it.

Exactly what I was thinking.  For all I know she could have been one of the many military chicks I hit on during my stint on Oahu. lol

wasnt stationed in Hawaii, mac flights in and out and lazed on the beach on vacation.
I was known as the sweetheart of NTC in San Diego, cuz I never refused a dance when asked in the club. I danced alllll night. Played quarters and giggled alot:)

Not military either, but I would like to say a heartfelt thank you to all those serving or who have served.  My dad served in the Army reserves way back when I was just a baby, and many in my wife's family worked as civilians at the Hawthorne Army Depot which is the largest ammunition storage facility in the world.  Boy do they have some stories.

Daphe is such a flirt...