Re: Favorite 3 Horror Directors

PrinceofDarkness wrote:
Maxwell wrote:

Stuart Gordon:  His horror films (Re-animator, From Beyond, Dolls, Dagon) are full of energy, black humor, and rank among my favorites.  His Masters of Horror entries, The Black Cat Dreams in the Witch House, are among the best in that series.  I even like some of his lesser work like The Pit and the Pendulum, Fortress, Castle Freak, and Robot Jox.  Plus, I love his violent dramas Edmond, King of the Ants, and Stuck (horror fans will appreciate all 3 of these twisted films).

Dario Argento:  As much as I appreciate his stylish "Animal Trilogy", it's his horror heyday that cemented him as one the most influential, oft imitated horror directors.  Deep Red, Suspiria, Inferno, Tenebre, Phenomena, and Opera all exhibit his trend-setting use of lighting, outrageous camera work, and juxstaposing scenes of jarring violence and gore with beautiful sets design and scenery.  While his best work is behind him, I also enjoyed The Stendhal Syndrome, Sleepless, Trauma, and The Mother of Tears (a flawed, but relentlessly violent conclusion to his 3 Mothers trilogy).

David Cronenberg:  One of the most unconventional horror directors, Cronenberg's peculiar brand of "bod horror" always manages to make you uncomfortable and a bit nauseous.  They Came From Within (Shivers), Rabid, The Brood (one of my favorites), Scanners, Videodrome (another favorite), The Dead Zone, The Fly (who doesn't love this one?  Easily on par with Carepenter's The Thing as one of the best remakes of all time), and Dead Ringers are all winners from his heydey.  His output since then has proved to be equally as interesting, violent, and disturbing with Naked Lunch, Crash (THIS flippin'  movie...), eXistenZ, A History of Violence, and Eastern Promises all worthy of your consideration.

I've got to see more of Cronenbergs movies.  I saw Shivers because it was showing on Comcast Fearnet and that movie is fucking awesome.  Just something about the setup and the feeling of dread at that damn hotel.  I have also seen Dead Zone and really love The Fly.

A lot of his stuff is hard to classify as straight ahead horror, but if you haven't seen The Brood yet, do yourself a favor...  That movie freaks me out.  Rabid is pretty good for a psuedo-zombie flick.  Scanners and Videodrome are both really cool sci-fi flicks with moments of gore.

^^^ And let's not forget A History of Violence.  Not horror, not even weird, but definitely Cronenberg.

LoudLon wrote:

^^^ And let's not forget A History of Violence.  Not horror, not even weird, but definitely Cronenberg.

It's got some pretty hardcore violent scenes though.

^ I will add Eastern Promises also, not quite as good as History of Violence but still a damn fine mob flick!

Had no idea that History of Violence was Cronenberg.  I mean I watched that movie before I started even paying attention to directors years and years ago but even when I think back on it, I would have never guessed it was Cronenberg.  That is awesome.  I need to get my hands on Shivers.  The fucking narration as they give you the tour of the apartment building at the beginning of that movie I can still hear in my damn head...

I've only just really started paying attention to directors and it's surprising sometimes how you'll be drawn to a certain director without even realising it. I've done that with Wes Craven in my early horror fan years and didn't realise.

It's hard to say because my 2 favourite horror films are Evil Dead and the Texas Chain Saw Massacre.. But the breadth of both Raimi and Hoopers work isn't that impressive.. Even Carpenter only made a couple really great horror movie. So I'd say Argento, Romero and Fulci. or Craven.

Argento. Nakata & Romero.

Last edited by kXnPunk (2012-09-04 06:47:35)

Damn this is hard but: Carpenter, Argento and... Cronenberg.

My 3 fav upcoming/current directors.

- Anthony DiBlasi: For Dread and Cassadaga

- Soska Sisters: For American Mary

- Jason Eisner: For Hobo with a Shotgun

Recap: My 3 fav 'veteran' directors H.M Joseph Zito and James Whale

1. Hooper. For getting me into horror with TCM 74

2. Romero. For my second fav horror ever Day of the Dead

3. Mario Bava. For beautiful, visionary and mesmerizing masterpieces like Black Sabbath, Black Sunday or Bay of Blood (Twitch of the Death Nerve)

Last edited by Vasquez (2012-09-04 08:55:03)

^^^
Price & Hauer are soooo amazing.
Loved everything I've seen them in.

Hobo was a spectacular movie, he was right on the spot in this one.

Ms.Gorefiend wrote:

Rob Zombie - I know a lot of people don't care for him, but I love him.

Not including House of 1,000 Corpses which I thought was scatter-shot and way too music video-ish, I agree.  The Devil's Rejects and Halloween '07 especially demonstrate this is a guy with a precise vision.  Say what you will about the stories he chooses to tell, but the way he opts to tell them is intrinsically cinematic. 

The sign of a good director is that you recognize his style when you see it, and I think that can certainly be said for Rob Zombie.  From how he stages his shots, to the cinematography and the visual palette he uses, to his Tarantino-like ability to pick almost the perfect song for the moment (I never, ever liked the song Freebird but changed my tune after I saw TDR), these are signs of a director with a particular and strong point of view.  Whether or not one agrees with that point of view is almost beside the point.

That said, no more screw-ups like H2, Rob.  My forgiveness only goes so far. lol

^ Just to add on to what you said Lon, The Devil's Rejects is one of the best horror movies we've gotten since the start of the 00's in my opinion. I honestly love it.

My 3 fav upcoming/current directors.

- Anthony DiBlasi: For Dread and Cassadaga

- Soska Sisters: For American Mary

- Jason Eisner: For Hobo with a Shotgun

Recap: My 3 fav 'veteran' directors H.M Joseph Zito and James Whale

1. Hooper. For getting me into horror with TCM 74

2. Romero. For my second fav horror ever Day of the Dead

3. Mario Bava. For beautiful, visionary and mesmerizing masterpieces like Black Sabbath, Black Sunday or Bay of Blood (Twitch of the Death Nerve)

Im gonna add some more categories cause i feel like it

3 fav actors. H.M Bill Paxton (Hudson and Severen) and Michael Biehn (Hicks)

1. Joseph Pilato. For DOTD

2. Price. For House of Usher, The Raven, Last Man On Earth. House of Wax etc

3. Rutger Hauer. For Hobo

3 Current Fav sub genres

1. Gothic
2. Psychological
3. Grindhouse/Exploitation

3 Directors I Hate

1. Eli Roth - Excessive Gore wrapped in juvenile, unfunny, unscary movies = sht movies. Plus he ACTUALLY proposed to remake The Bad Seed at one point. Yeah Roth u just go ahead and continue in Hollywoods now generic run in remakes and choose a great, SMART, brilliantly performed and subtle portrayal of a killer child and bastardize it with ur frat boy approach. And im being serious just read this HORRIFYING QUOTE!

"The original was a great psychological thriller, and we are going to bastardize and exploit it, ramping up the body counts and killings," said Roth. "This is going to be scary, bloody fun, and we're going to create the next horror icon, a la Freddy, Jason and Chucky. She's this cunning, adorable kid who loves to kill, but also loves 'N Sync.". WTF. Someone form a possy of Jason, Freddy, Micheal, Capt Rhodes, Toxic Avenger and Leatherface to take this piece of scum down pronto!

2. Tom Six - Similar Reasons. Attention grabber.

3. Steve Miner - Ripping off my cherished Day of The Dead and its classic name in a atrocious movie, probably just to cash in on the Dawn remake. Add stealing uncredited scenes from Bava's Bay of Blood (1971) for his underwhelming sequel to Friday the 13th P2. Some may call it inspiration. I call it lazy film-making.

Last edited by Vasquez (2012-09-04 10:38:06)

^^ You know there Dawn and Day have the same beginning letters. I hate Tom Six (centipede) and Miner too. I dislike Eli Roth and some more people to hate for me are Sean S. Cunningham except for his house and his friday 13. And Paul W.S. Muthe effin' Anderson is a **** director. (except for EH)

One other guy who seems to be from my country is James Nguyen with his awful Birds.

Terrance Fisher
John Carpenter
Dario Argento

Carpenter
Craven
Romero

Carpenter

Cronenberg

Romero - but I must say that I really don't like Diary or Survival of the dead.