Topic: The Best & Worst Director's Cut's

Studios and directors are always tinkering with films for the video releases. I thought a thread to discuss the ones worth getting/watching and which ones to avoid. This is mostly for horror films but don't have to be limited to a specific genre, if there are some notable good/bad 'cuts in other genres...

...Such as one of the worst directors cuts EVER!! Payback (1999) starring Mel Gibson. Great movie, I picked up the directors cut expecting a few new scenes but what I got was a completely different movie! The color of the film was even changed, entire action sequences were removed and whole direction of the plot was completely thrown off...fucking terrible, avoid this directors cut.

Re: The Best & Worst Director's Cut's

I like the Halloween II director's cut. Even thu everybody hates that movie.

Interesting topic chainsaw. Interestingly I read somewhere, though no frkin idea where (and dont blame me if i heard it on here and have forgotten) that Romero dislikes the Director's/Extended Cut of his Dawn of The Dead. According to him Ruins the pacing of the film.

Last edited by Vasquez (2012-09-04 10:22:54)

Nightbreed is a good example of a film that was cut to shreds by the studio. Luckily i got 2 see the Cabal Cut at Frightfest, even if the added footage was in VHS quality (kinda charming though) but im not sure if they will ever get it on DVD/BluRay.

Last edited by Vasquez (2012-09-04 09:43:39)

Aliens defo benefits from additional scenes in its director's cut though.

Halloween 6 Producer's Cut was just as bad as the Theatrical Cut to me. Just a bad sequel no matter which version.

Vasquez wrote:

Romero dislikes the Director's Cut of his Dawn of The Dead.

You sayin' that Romero dislike his own cut of Dawn?

Watchmen Ultimate Director's Cut is great. It's longer, has more expanded content, and is worth the 70$. But man, I'm not kidding when I say it's long.

A Lost Boy wrote:
Vasquez wrote:

Romero dislikes the Director's Cut of his Dawn of The Dead.

You sayin' that Romero dislike his own cut of Dawn?

I think they mean the so called directors cut aka extended cut that runs 139 minutes. It adds a few scenes (though I think they're cool) but sometimes it does seem to drag on. So, I could see why he doesn't like it.

Battle Royale- I didn't really care for the dream sequences that were added to the directors cut.

The Mist- The directors cut has a black and white version that is neat to watch.

Tripod wrote:

Watchmen Ultimate Director's Cut is great. It's longer, has more expanded content, and is worth the 70$. But man, I'm not kidding when I say it's long.

I have the directors cut (not ultimate) and thought it was awesome. Would love to see the extra half hour.

The H2 director's cut was terrible, I really enjoyed the director's cut of Apocalypse Now and the director's cut of Almost Famous was amazing, I really hope they realize a director's cut of Cabin Fever 2 because apparently that movie should have been a lot different

Last edited by JJ (2012-09-04 10:23:16)

I have only seen the directors cut of H2, but I definitely prefer the theatrical cut of Zombies Halloween. The directors cut adds a rape avenge that's completely unnecessary.

Not necessarily a directors cut but I hear theremake original vhsto release of ANOES has has a extra minute or so of gore that was cut from the theatrical release to tone it down some. I have the primal vhs release but have actually never watched it.

Also the criterion collection dvd of Robocop is the Uncut version and it'd has some nice action and gore bits added in!

In response to the extended cut of DOTD, here's Lon's post on it from the opening scenes thread:

LoudLon wrote:
Chomper wrote:

Just wondering, but do you watch the director's cut of Dawn or the theatrical?

Well, see, that's actually an interesting question to me.  Way back in the mid-90s when the extended version of Dawn first became available (a double VHS set) I read an interview with Romero where he pretty much disowned it.  The distributor and all the ads were hailing it as the director's cut, but Romero claimed the theatrical version actually IS the director's cut.  Remember, back then Romero edited his own films, so the version that was released to theaters was his own final edit.  It was exactly the movie he wanted to be seen. 

So the director's cut you mentioned isn't really the director's cut, it's just an extended cut.  And while the brief additional Pilato scenes are enjoyable enough, most of the other added material are just poorly executed gore, squib or feeding shots, and deserved to be edited out of Romero's final cut IMO.

That helped to clear things up.

JJ wrote:

The H2 director's cut was terrible, I really enjoyed the director's cut of Apocalypse Now and the director's cut of Almost Famous was amazing, I really hope they realize a director's cut of Cabin Fever 2 because apparently that movie should have been a lot different

I liked it thou.

The Keep (1983) deserves a directors cut RIGHT NOW!. I loved it even in its curent form so a directors cut will elevate the film even more and 2 a wider audience.

Is the Dead Alive "uncut" version worth looking for? Anyone know?

Blade Runner's one is a total blast!!!
Added more cool stuff to this movie which was already ÜBER GOOD.

Halloween 6 directors cut is amazing!!!

ChainSaW80 wrote:

Is the Dead Alive "uncut" version worth looking for? Anyone know?

The uncut version is 12 minutes longer (97 minutes vs. 85), since a lot of the gore was cut out to get it an R rating.  I didn't even see the R rated version on Amazon.

If you have a Region 2 DVD player, the Braindead version is 104 minutes.  Jackson has said he prefers the 97 minute version.

Short answer- yes.

^ my dvd is the 97 minute version. I cant find a copy of the 104min version...meh...oh well.

Thanks monkey