Topic: Underrated Stephen King's adaptations

The most underrated one is Riding the Bullet imo.There is the symbol of death that runs through whole movie,very good story,fantastic cast I love it  !
I would also mention Needful Things,another great adaptation smile

Re: Underrated Stephen King's adaptations

The Running man. lol

Last edited by fmvgamer (2012-09-06 08:28:40)

Well Christine is one.

I don't know i certainly havent checket out Riding the Bullet or Needfull things. Most of the more acclaimed adaptions i have watched (The Shining, Salem's Lot, Carrie) have actually been for me very underwhelming compared to the original novels, or in The Shining or Carrie's case when considering them as separate movies. The TV movie The Stand i found particularly poor with particularly bad casting choices and unconvincing performances. (7.2 rating on IMBD, What the hell is going on there!). The book, again by contrast SO much better. Maybe i will enjoy RTB or NT when i eventually watch them though cause i haven't read the original books yet. Christine however i enjoyed quite a bit, far more than the supposed 'masterpiece' in The Shining film and is my clear favourite among adaptions of Kings work. I suppose u could say then is Christine is underrated.

Last edited by Vasquez (2012-09-06 08:36:32)

I liked Thinner.  I know it's super cheesy but it was still pretty good.  Riding the bullet was just ok for me.  I like Stephen King so I'll give anything he makes a chance.

I enjoyed Storm of the Century, but it's not an adaptation. He wrote it for the screen. Favorite lesser known adaptation is probably The Secret Window. I hated The Stand. It doesn't even come close to living up to the book.

Both decent movie.
The secret Window as well!
Sometimes they come back

Well, a lot of King movies are flat out failures.  I don't think there's any underrating going on when it comes to stuff like The Stand, The Langoliers, The Golden Years, etc. because, well, they were actually bad. lol

Personally I think the most under-rated is Needful Things.  I loved the book but the ending was god-awful, which is something King actually does a lot -- pulls you into this great story and wows you and scares you and thrills you and then does something really lame for an ending.  I mean seriously, Pangborn scares off the devil with a can of trick worms embued with the power of his love for his son?  PSSSHHHHTT!  The movie ending works SO much better.  And I think Ed Harris was the best Sheriff Pangborn to date.

IMO.

2 words: Maximum Overdrive.

I remember I heard about The Langoliers and bought it cheap (never ever seeing a trailer or whatnot) and watched it one night when bored and...oh my, oh my goodness was that movie bad. The end scene made me laugh it was that bad.

I've never been a big fan of King's work at all to be honest (his books obviously) - I liked The Shining, Carrie and Misery (except the parts of the novel where you reading what the guy was typing, I skipped every part that was like that, ugh I hated that) but yeah...I'd say he is pretty overrated. The movie adaptions haven't been that good either except for your obvious ones.

I kind of liked The Langoliers up until the end scenes, sure it was nothing special, but I liked the atmosphere to it. That "CGI" though was... bad.

There are some good movies, but most are pretty bad. I don't think they should bother going near his Dark Tower series.

Firestarter in my opinion is under rated.

The Night Flier is VERY underrated IMO. I'm also a fan of Riding the Bullet; it's got plenty of flaws, but I like the story and it has a very dreadful atmosphere.

^^ night flier is a great S.k film one of the best

Night Flier and The Dark Half are pretty good.

Christine was a really popular and successful movie.  It is probably one of the best known King movies.  Given that, I do not understand how it could be considered underrated?

I'm kinda with Lon on this.  Most King movies sucked.  The ones that didn't were fairly successful, thereby making them not really underrated.

Maybe Silver Bullet?

* Edit *

ok...I take back that most King movies sucked.  Upon further thought, there were quite a few good ones.  Maybe 50/50 IMHO.

Last edited by Ghostseeker (2012-09-06 20:52:09)

LoudLon wrote:

Well, a lot of King movies are flat out failures.  I don't think there's any underrating going on when it comes to stuff like The Stand, The Langoliers, The Golden Years, etc. because, well, they were actually bad. lol

Personally I think the most under-rated is Needful Things.  I loved the book but the ending was god-awful, which is something King actually does a lot -- pulls you into this great story and wows you and scares you and thrills you and then does something really lame for an ending.  I mean seriously, Pangborn scares off the devil with a can of trick worms embued with the power of his love for his son?  PSSSHHHHTT!  The movie ending works SO much better.  And I think Ed Harris was the best Sheriff Pangborn to date.

IMO.

Another to avoid is SleepWalkers.

DirtyGirl wrote:

Night Flier and The Dark Half are pretty good.

Forgot about dark half .totally agree with DG

I agree with Maximum Overdrive it's just so much fun.

I'm also a fan of Graveyard Shift. It's not even close to being a great movie but it doesn't take itself too seriously so it really works for me for sheer popcorn entertainment.

hellrat wrote:
LoudLon wrote:

IMO.

Another to avoid is SleepWalkers.

Yep, Sleepwalkers sucks bad. Only cool part was the car chase scene. The Trans AM was awesome.

Some friends and I tried to watch Thinner last Halloween when it was on AMC and boy was it dull.  I used to think it was OK but it really is not that much fun.

I've been trying to get my hands on Sometimes They Come Back.  Anyone seen this?  This is definitely one of the better ones, it is sort of on a similar level as IT. 

Anyone here seen the Dark Half directed by George Romero?  That is definitely underrated a bit. 

Dead Zone. Directed by Cronenberg and starring Walken.

I love both The Dark Half and The Dead Zone.

Though I do have to question how the killer in the rubber coat in The Dead Zone was able to generate enough force to kill himself with those scissors.  Gruesome idea, but plausibly unsound. lol

Still, a great flick.

Dreamcatcher

I liked Firestarter

Yea Firestarter is definitely a little underrated considering the cast. I am a pretty big fan as well opening credits are great with the Tangerine Dream score.