Topic: Battle of the remakes Part 2

Welcome back to the horror Factor show,

You choose which is  the best or your Fav  remake in this section ,

Welcome to part 2 of the remake battle ! 

Which of this remake are going to make the final!

The Wolfman (2010) 1 Vote
The Crazies (2010) 1 Vote
Funny Games U.S. (2007)
I Spit on Your Grave (2010) 6 votes
Straw Dogs (2011) 3 Votes
Don't Be Afraid of the Dark (2010)
Willard (2003) 1
Village of the Damned (1995)
I Saw What You Did (1988 )
The Cat and the Canary (1939)

All lines will be  open for 48 for hours! (If you vote after lines are close, your vote will not be counted but may still be charged".

Last edited by BASSI (2012-09-06 15:06:16)

Re: Battle of the remakes Part 2

I Spit on Your Grave (2010) for me, it was a very well done movie.

I Spit On Your Grave (2010). Very impressed with that remake. Certainly in my top 5 remakes of the last 5 if not 10 years.

I Spit on Your Grave (2010)

Definitely Straw Dogs.  That was an excellent, excellent flick and I completely prefer it to the original.

Sorry but none of them for me. The only one that comes close is the ISOYG remake which focused far more on the revenge than the rape and in doing so lost the exploitatative point of the original. I enjoyed the remake but purleease.

The Crazies

Fulcento wrote:

Sorry but none of them for me. The only one that comes close is the ISOYG remake which focused far more on the revenge than the rape and in doing so lost the exploitatative point of the original. I enjoyed the remake but purleease.

Well it may have not focused (but i think it did so as effectively, exploitatively and realistically as possible and necessary without it being unjustly excessive) on the rape but it sure was brutally but appropriately depicted. It was brutal enough for me at least so that her revenge made sense to the developing story and was just. You surely dont have to excessively focus on rape to get a exploitative edge for a movie. I mean some tits and ass and more explicit exploitation is in my view just fine but 2 show very very explicit rape (which would go beyond even as i say the very brutal and intense rape scenes in this movie) and for a long running time surely goes beyond exploitation into very ugly misogynism. JUST WANNA SAY this is not a attack on ur character fulcento just putting my opinion out there and if u dont like this film that much i respect ur opinion.

Last edited by Vasquez (2012-09-05 17:39:31)

^^^ I actually don't blame Fulcento for disliking it.  Personally I thought it was a tremendous waste of time.  The idea of a remake is to improve upon the original.  If the original is notorious for being transgressive, I would think a remake would strive to be more so, and if it's not going to do that, then to at least improve upon the story aspect.  But not only did it not try to be better story-wise, like the Last House on the Left remake it lacked the stones to even be merely as transgressive as the original.  Which begs the question, what was the point?

Straw Dogs, on the other hand, completely out-did the original, I thought.  And I'm actually a fan of the original.

2 to be fair, i kinda get what ur saying Lon. Though they maybe didnt do a major improvement story-wise and if so as u say didnt up the transgressive aspects i think that other aspects were done quite impressively for a remake, like some inventive and shocking deaths (esp the last 1), above average acting, (which made me really feel for the girl) etc. Im not saying the remake was exceptional but at least among remakes of the last 12 years quite impressive. I have yet 2 see the remake of Straw Dogs though so i may like it better than ISOYG after all, but there u go.

Last edited by Vasquez (2012-09-05 17:48:43)

No biggie, Vas.  I'm sure most folks here have realized by now how snobby I am and how peculiar my tastes are when it comes to horror movies.  Which is why I don't question anyone liking a movie that I don't, or not liking a movie that I do (well maybe I do sometimes, but usually just as a joke lol ).

Fun fact: I never seen Straw Dogs, the original or the remake. It's worth picking up I presume?

Vasquez wrote:
Fulcento wrote:

Well it may have not focused (but i think it did so as effectively, exploitatively and realistically as possible and necessary without it being unjustly excessive) on the rape but it sure was brutally but appropriately depicted. It was brutal enough for me at least so that her revenge made sense to the developing story and was just. You surely dont have to excessively focus on rape to get a exploitative edge for a movie. I mean some tits and ass and more explicit exploitation is in my view just fine but 2 show very very explicit rape (which would go beyond even as i say the very brutal and intense rape scenes in this movie) and for a long running time surely goes beyond exploitation into very ugly misogynism. JUST WANNA SAY this is not a attack on ur character fulcento just putting my opinion out there and if u dont like this film that much i respect ur opinion.

Yeah, I agree entirely that Zarchi's ISOYG is utterly misogynist but it was very much a product of its time. It's an honest to goodness balls to the wall seventies style exploitation. It amuses me when I hear people label it as a "womens empowerment flick" or a "feminist film". It's a pure roughie made to shock and appall. Zarchi himself made some rather daft claims about the intent of the movie. I mean, yeah, she gets her own back and that image of her swinging an axe from the side of a speedboat is striking as all hell but a 45 minute long rape scene is hardly likely to inspire a chorus of "I am Woman Hear Me Roar" from the female viewers. LOL!
The remake on the other hand felt rather sanitised and crowdpleasing. I liked it, don't get me wrong but I see little point in remaking a dirty film like ISOYG unless you're gonna make it as rough and tumble as the source. One film I do have a lot of respect for is the unofficial sequel to Last House on the Left, 'Chaos'. That one had balls and stayed true to the vicious nature of the film it was copying.
Sorry if that sounded like a rant! It probably was haha!

Last edited by Fulcento (2012-09-05 19:07:36)

Scavenger -- the original is really good -- starring Dustin Hoffman as a mathematician who moves with his wife to her hometown in Scotland and crosses paths with his wife's jealous old boyfriend.  Through some unfortunate circumstances, the ex and his buddies attack Hoffman and his wife at their home and Hoffman has to fight them off.  Very violent for its time, and yet another of Sam Peckinpah's ruminations on the use and effects of violence.

The remake stars James Marsden, this time as a screenwriter, and it takes place in Louisianna.  The rest of the movie plays out the same but the execution is superior.  IMO, of course.

^ Oh wow that sounds pretty awesome to me! And who doesn't like Dustin Hoffman? lol I checked it out on IMDB after seeing your post and am very interested now, I'll add it to my Amazon Cart and pick it up.

I Spit On Your Grave

Strawdogs really loved both

This would be close for me between Crazies and I Spit On Your Grave, but would have to go with I Spit.

The worst of them would have to be Don't Be Afraid of the Dark which is one of the worst moves I have ever seen.

I loved Straw Dogs but I have to go with The Wolfman (2010) fo sho!

mmm..
straw dogs (2010)

I also really liked Straw Dogs, but I'm going with the I Spit on Your Grave remake.

Willard. i liked it better  than the original.

I Spit on Your Grave (2010)  and Straw Dogs (2011)

Are going to the final!

This poll is now closed!