Topic: Battle of the remakes Part 5

Welcome back to the horror Factor show

Welcome to part 5 of the remake Battle 

Which of this remake are going to make the final!

Nightwatch (1997)
The Old Dark House (1963)
Carrie (2002)
Salem's Lot (2004)
The Shining (1997)
2001 Maniacs (2005)
Body Snatchers (1993)
When a Stranger Calls (2006)
Long Weekend (2008)
Nosferatu the Vampyre (1979)

All lines will be  open for 48 for hours! (If you vote after lines are close, your vote will not be counted but may still be charged".

Updated! two with the most votes will go to final

Re: Battle of the remakes Part 5

Nosferatu, by a clear mile.

Nosferatu the Vampyre by far.

Nosferatu.

Wuut? 'The Shining was remade in 1997?!???
I'll go with 'The Old Dark House'.

Those suck, but I'm going with When A Stranger Calls.

Suspiria_89 wrote:

Those suck, but I'm going with When A Stranger Calls.

Even Nosferatu!

Fulcento wrote:

There was another production of Stephen King's novel - the 1997 TV series which wasn't a remake of Stanley Kubrick's film, rather a different adaption which went back to a more faithful script, in relation to the novel. The reason why the 1997 version was created was in part i believe because King himself was dissatisfied with Kubrick's own vision of his story.

Last edited by Vasquez (2012-09-07 14:43:19)

Nightwatch!

2001 maniacs

Nosferatu the Vampire.  But I did prefer the TV version of The Shining over Kubrick's.

Vasquez wrote:
Fulcento wrote:

There was another production of Stephen King's novel - the 1997 TV series which wasn't a remake of Stanley Kubrick's film, rather a different adaption which went back to a more faithful script, in relation to the novel. The reason why the 1997 version was created was in part i believe because King himself was dissatisfied with Kubrick's own vision of his story.

Yeah, I heard that King was vexed about Kubrick's adaptation of 'The Shining' but I never knew it was altered for TV in 97. I love this site, there's so many knowledgeable folks on here. I thought I was well versed in all things horror but I'm learning tons of stuff on here.
I'm so glad I joined up.
Cheers for explaining that one.

LoudLon wrote:

But I did prefer the TV version of The Shining over Kubrick's.

Is it that different? I have the train of thought that Kubrick's would be better over a TV remake, may I ask what you prefer in the TV remake? smile It's very interesting lol

Scavenger of Human Sorrow wrote:
LoudLon wrote:

But I did prefer the TV version of The Shining over Kubrick's.

Is it that different? I have the train of thought that Kubrick's would be better over a TV remake, may I ask what you prefer in the TV remake? smile It's very interesting lol

I not big fan of Kubrick's at all, I did not like it at all, TV Version I really enjoyed,   as it follow the book more closely.     

In TV  I did not kid at all in this, it was very annoying and really bad acting from him, i did not mind anyone in else.

you need 6 hours spare! to watch it!

Last edited by BASSI (2012-09-07 16:50:54)

There's a lot more character development, for one.  In the Kubrick version Nicholson's got a screw loose from the get-go so his "descent" into madness is a short trip, and I think Nicholson seriously over-acts the part.  I think Stephen Weber does a much more realistic job portraying the character and it better shows his transformation from a loving family man with a couple skeletons in his closet to an obsessive psychopath. 

It also gives play to the topiary animals (which weren't in the Kubrick version), the influence of the house on Jack is further explored and allowed to unfold at a more deliberate and absorbing pace.  And the finale, with the violence between Jack and his wife, is a lot better than Kubrick's version, I thought.  Plus the ending is pretty much right out of the book, whereas Kubrick's was a completely new fabrication. 

Kubrick's always impressive directorial style aside, I've always considered the writing in his version rather weak and the film on the whole to be hugely over-rated.  My two cents.

^ Wow, thanks for the feedback guys! I'm going to try find a copy of the TV series version (online to watch or to buy) - I want to watch it tonight in fact, who knows I could end up liking it better than the film version! tongue lol

Nosferatu FTW. smile

LoudLon wrote:

There's a lot more character development, for one.  In the Kubrick version Nicholson's got a screw loose from the get-go so his "descent" into madness is a short trip, and I think Nicholson seriously over-acts the part.  I think Stephen Weber does a much more realistic job portraying the character and it better shows his transformation from a loving family man with a couple skeletons in his closet to an obsessive psychopath. 

It also gives play to the topiary animals (which weren't in the Kubrick version), the influence of the house on Jack is further explored and allowed to unfold at a more deliberate and absorbing pace.  And the finale, with the violence between Jack and his wife, is a lot better than Kubrick's version, I thought.  Plus the ending is pretty much right out of the book, whereas Kubrick's was a completely new fabrication. 

Kubrick's always impressive directorial style aside, I've always considered the writing in his version rather weak and the film on the whole to be hugely over-rated.  My two cents.

U summed up perfectly why i didn't like Kubrick's version. I thought the actress who played Wendy did a pretty weak job aswell. I Like the book so much more than the Film. I found it so much more effective and chilling, and as like ur description of the TV movie, at a deliberate and absorbing pace which built up my image of a truly isolated and ominous atmosphere within the narrative and led to a satisfying and climatic ending.

As awful as I thought Shelley Duvall (or however the hell you spell it) was in Kubrick's The Shining, I can't say I really blame her performance on her.  She was very resistant to Kubrick's ideas on how the character should be played; he wanted a whimpering mound of trembling jelly, and Duvall wanted to portray her as being stronger than that.  So Kubrick rather famously resorted to tormenting her emotionally in order to get the performance we see in the film.  She's said on numerous occasions that by the time filming was done, she was a complete wreck, all because of Kubrick's abuse.

In fact if you watch the featurette on the DVD, you get to see some of that happening.

^
The whole thing is Kubrick's fault then. Fair Enough. big_smile

You nut jobs!!! Kubric's The Shining is a classic piece of cinema, forget the damn book! Who cares about the book! I read it, it was very good and suspenseful but King goes in to so much detail you couldn't even cram it into a 5nice hour long mini series. I coulda seriously skipped over whole chapters of that book and not have missed much. The original was made as a theatrical film so cuts and rewrites were pretty much necessary for it and I though want they did was brilliant along with the performances by everyone involved. That said I did enjoy the mini series also, I liked the approach they took with it, following the novel more closely and the actors played their roles very well.

I imagine my perspective may differ from others for a couple reasons

1. I watched The Shining loooong before ever reading Kings novel and its always been a favorite of mine. I only decided to read the book because I love the original so much.

2. I did read the book before ever seeing the mini series, in fact, that's why I decided to see the miniseries.

Just my opinion.

Best remake of this bunch, Body Snatchers.

Last edited by ChainSaW80 (2012-09-07 23:39:10)

I go with When A Stranger Calls.

2001 Maniacs

So that 2001 Maniacs (2005) with When a Stranger Calls (2006)  and Nosferatu the Vampyre (1979)  are going to the final

^^Yesh! Muthafucka WASC RCOKS!