Re: DirtyGirl's Horror Movie A Day Challenge

Strangeland 1998 7/10 (RW) Dee snider movie . watched this when i was a teenager and could never remember the name of it, found it while looking for Dickinson's movie was very excited to get a chance to watch it again.

alright just watched the first scene of my movie for tonight which is Jack Brooks Monster slayer 2007 just wanna give an expectation review right now which is 10/10 that monster suit is the sweetest thing i have ever seen

Sep 5 - Next of Kin (1982) - Not the Patrick Swayze film of the same name from 1989.  After her mother passes away, Linda returns from school to take over her family's rest home for the elderly.  But when she finds and begins to read her mother's diary, it is hard for her to ignore the similarities between events described in the diary and the odd events happening at the rest home since her return.  Definitely a slow burn that builds through atmosphere and a cool score reminiscent of Tangerine Dream, but finishes up with a strong ending.  It also stars a young John Jarratt who played the creepy Mick Taylor in 2005's Wolf Creek.  3/5.  First Watch.

Day 285-

The Whip and the Body- 7/10 Rewatch Dvd

Who needs to read 50 shades of grey when you have Christopher Lee and Mario Bava?  It's an excellent gothic thriller and a little tragically romantic.  Christopher Lee has mentioned it was one of his best films.

Jack brooks monster slayer 2007 8/10 (FT) even with cgi getting to a point when its almost lifelike you cant beat a man in a costume. The movies not as great as the first scene made it out to be but still a solid monster flick

Last edited by pcow (2012-09-07 06:43:51)

Day 286 (yesterday)-

House of a 1000 Corpses-  8/10 Rewatch Dvd

Day 287 (today)-

Halloween (2007)- 6/10 Rewatch Dvd

Day 288-

Halloween 2 (2009)- 6/10  First Watch Dvd

I actually liked the second one a little better than the first one.  But what is with the Dr. Loomis character?  Why did Zombie make him into a douchebag?  Not cool!

Sep 7 - The Asylum Tapes aka Greystone Park (2012) - In 2009, a group of film makers break into an abandoned psychiatric hospital that is supposedly haunted.  Once inside though, they quickly realize that they are not alone.  Writen, directed and staring Sean Stone, son of Oliver Stone, this is definitely one of the weakest found footage flicks that I have seen.   Just poorly done all the way around, and not remotely scary or entertaining to boot.  1.5/5.  First Watch.

Sep 8 - Slugs (1987) - Locals in a small New York town are being devoured by common garden slugs and the health inspector thinks he knows why.  Finding no help from the local authorities, he teams up with the head of sanitation to try to put an end to the slimy infestation.  Typical 80's cheese, poor acting and even worse dialogue, it does however feature some decent FX work.  2.5/5.  First Watch.

DirtyGirl wrote:

Day 288-

I actually liked the second one a little better than the first one.  But what is with the Dr. Loomis character?  Why did Zombie make him into a douchebag?  Not cool!

I hated that and most of the movie actually. I may watch the director's cut in a month or two. I'm still having trouble getting over how different the characters are from the original.

Ms.Gorefiend wrote:
DirtyGirl wrote:

Day 288-

I hated that and most of the movie actually. I may watch the director's cut in a month or two. I'm still having trouble getting over how different the characters are from the original.

Yeah it's completely different from the original.  I don't think it even counts as a remake really just the title is the same.  The only part I liked was the dream sequences.

Day 289-

Sometimes they come back- 4/10 dvd first watch

Easily one of the worst Stephen king adaptations.  This one and Sleepwalkers, it's a toss up which one sucked more!

Something Wicked This Way Comes-  8/10 Rewatch YouTube

I love this movie. I watch it every fall,  I have been looking for the DVD forever!

Day 290-

Hocus Pocus- 7/10 Rewatch DVD

I'm ready for Halloween!  Can't wait for the leaves to change smile

DirtyGirl wrote:

Something Wicked This Way Comes-  8/10 Rewatch YouTube

I love this movie. I watch it every fall,  I have been looking for the DVD forever!

Ooh, I haven't seen that one in a couple decades.  Gonna have to get my hands on a copy...

DirtyGirl wrote:

Day 290-

Hocus Pocus- 7/10 Rewatch DVD

I'm ready for Halloween!  Can't wait for the leaves to change smile

So Jealous that the leaves change where you are. We don't get fall where I am hmm

Ms.Gorefiend wrote:

So Jealous that the leaves change where you are. We don't get fall where I am hmm

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v93/loudlon/Animated/whatthewhat.gif

Where are you, the Arctic?

Oh, and DG -- check your PM's. smile

Sep 12 - Munger Road (2011) - Four teens set out to find proof of paranormal activity on Munger Road, site of a tragic acident many years before, but what they find is that someone or something has other plans for them.  Now can the local police find the truth behind an urban legend and find the teens before it is too late.  A nice idea, but unfortunately, I found it to be rather boring.  No action, suspense, tension, scares, blood or boobs made it feel like a tame made for TV movie.  2/5.  First Watch.

LoudLon wrote:
Ms.Gorefiend wrote:

No, I'm in Florida on the east coast. No fall here.

Sep 13 - Bait (2012) - 12 months after the brother of his fiance is killed in a shark attack, lifeguard Josh finds himself working in a costal Australian  supermarket that just happens to be underground.  When a freak Tsunami hits the city, the supermarket is flooded and Josh is trapped inside with a group of survivors.  But the Tsunami also trapped something else in the supermarket, two great white sharks, and they are hungry.  Chalk this one up as a decent popcorn movie.  It is heavy on the CGI, which is poorly done, including ridiculous looking sharks, and like Shark Night, completely impossible action involving the sharks.  But it does feature some tense moments, a little humor,  and much more grue than the previously mentioned Shark Night.  2.5/5.  First Watch.

Day 291 (Wednesday)- 

The Lords of Salem- 8/10 First Watch Theatre
Rob Zombie outdid himself on this one.  It was completely different than anything he has done before.  It was a slow burn 70s style satanic horror movie with some fantastic performances by older scream queens and Sherri Moon Zombie was pretty good in the lead also.  Zombie left out the "trailer trash" fowl language and went for more realistic characters.  It was inspired by movies like Rosemary's Baby, The Shining, and The Sentinel.  It certainly felt like a movie made by a real Horror fan and the visuals were beautiful.  I am still not sure if I liked the psychadelic ending, I think I need a few more views.  I think some people will really love it and others will really hate it.....

Day 292 (thursday)-

Audrey Rose- 7/10 Rewatch Dvd
This one of those films that really scared me as a kid.  I was probably around the same age as the lead actress when I saw it the first time and had nightmares about burning alive afterwards.  Watching it again many years later it is not at all scary but there are some great performances by the actors.

Day 293 (Friday)-

White Zombie- 6/10 Rewatch Dvd

Bela Lugosi is pretty creepy in White Zombie...Those Eyes!!   These old movies always feel like I am watching a stage play.  How different movies are today!

Ms.Gorefiend wrote:
LoudLon wrote:
Ms.Gorefiend wrote:

No, I'm in Florida on the east coast. No fall here.

same

DirtyGirl wrote:

Day 291 (Wednesday)- 

The Lords of Salem- 8/10 First Watch Theatre
Rob Zombie outdid himself on this one.  It was completely different than anything he has done before.  It was a slow burn 70s style satanic horror movie with some fantastic performances by older scream queens and Sherri Moon Zombie was pretty good in the lead also.  Zombie left out the "trailer trash" fowl language and went for more realistic characters.  It was inspired by movies like Rosemary's Baby, The Shining, and The Sentinel.  It certainly felt like a movie made by a real Horror fan and the visuals were beautiful.  I am still not sure if I liked the psychadelic ending, I think I need a few more views.  I think some people will really love it and others will really hate it.....

Awesome!  I'm really looking forward to this.  Which is saying something, because nothing seems to excite me much these days when it comes to upcoming flicks.

day 294-

Dan Curtis' Dracula- 6/10 First Watch Dvd

Not sure if I liked jack Palance as Dracula but the movie was good version of Bram Stoker's Dracula and it felt like a Hammer movie.

Sep 14 - The Last Horror Film (1982) - Determined to cast her in his first film, New York taxicab driver Vinny stalks renown horror scream queen Jana Bates at the Cannes Film Festival to try to convince her.  As his frustration mounts due to his inability to garner any support for his project, Jana's friends and associates start to disapear.   Joe Spinnel plays the obseesed wanabe film maker and Caroline Munro provides some nice eye candy, but the rest is pretty forgetable.  2.5/5.  First Watch.

Sep 14 - Vile (2011) - Four friends find themselves trapped in house with a group of strangers and a task to complete.  They have 22 hours to produce enough of a chemical produced by the brain during intense pain to satisfy their captors.  They decide to work as a group and share the burden by torturing one another.  Pretty much a Saw rip off with a bit of a twist and some decent grue, but that is about it.  2.5/5.  First Watch.

Sep 15 - The Dinosaur Project (2012) - An expedition sets out to the deepest African jungle in search of a mythical water beast know as Africa's Nessie.  But when their helicopter crashes and they are forced to hoof it through the jungle, they find a lot more than they bargined for.  Pretty cool idea for a found footage flick with surprisingly well done CGI for a low budget movie.  But it definitely has the feel of a poor man's Jurasic Park.  3/5.  First Watch.

Sep 16 - The Snowtown Murders (2011) -  Based on the true story of John Bunting, Australias worst serial killer, 16 year-old Jamie falls in with John and his crowd of self-appointed neighborhood watchmen, a relationship that leads to a spree of torture and murder.  It takes awhile to get going, but when it does, it tells a pretty grim and disturbing story.  4/5.  First Watch.

Day 295-

John Dies at the End- 7/10 First Watch Theatre

Thriller with lots of comedy.   I loved it up until the end where it turned into a cheesy Scifi movie.  Still highly recommend it though.