Re: Rank The Saw Series

MistressOf Horror wrote:

I prefer the bathroom scene from the first film. It was drawn out. gave them time to think about it
before any amputatimg was done.

Which is why the first Saw is the best of the series as far as I'm concerned.  Each Saw film afterward (at least up to the third one, which was the last one I bothered with) has been more and more about creative torture devices than actually telling a story about characters who, while flawed, you want to see survive.  Dr. Gordon's and Adam's plight to solve the mystery of how they got there and who it was that put them there while also trying to survive the seemingly inescapable situation they found themselves in is what made the film work so well, along with the deceptively simple yet brilliant twist (not sure why I'm being vague, here; I'm sure by now there's no one on the planet who hasn't seen it and doesn't know how it ends lol ).

I missed the more puzzle-oriented games from the first two movies that almost didn't carry over in the subsequent sequels. If an eighth movie is made it'd be great for them to go back to the basics of the first two with the games being more like deadly puzzles to solve instead of outright death machines.

I also forgot, has anyone played the two video games? I've only played the first one and it's pretty good despite some annoying puzzles. I liked how it tied heavily into the movies and filled in more of the gaps. The second one looks better from the footage of it I've seen.

Cool Saw timeline video.

Thought I'd share that with any fans here, found it on YouTube. The other segments are on the user's channel. Cool attempt to piece the timeline together.

There's news on the series now, apparently Lion's Gate is planning to reboot the series. I read it on Bloody Disgusting just earlier. Not a surprise at all they're planning another, reboot or otherwise.

LoudLon wrote:
MistressOf Horror wrote:

I prefer the bathroom scene from the first film. It was drawn out. gave them time to think about it
before any amputatimg was done.

Which is why the first Saw is the best of the series as far as I'm concerned.  Each Saw film afterward (at least up to the third one, which was the last one I bothered with) has been more and more about creative torture devices than actually telling a story about characters who, while flawed, you want to see survive.  Dr. Gordon's and Adam's plight to solve the mystery of how they got there and who it was that put them there while also trying to survive the seemingly inescapable situation they found themselves in is what made the film work so well, along with the deceptively simple yet brilliant twist (not sure why I'm being vague, here; I'm sure by now there's no one on the planet who hasn't seen it and doesn't know how it ends lol ).

You summed up my feelings about the series there Lon so i am even more put off the series now that they are wasting money on rebooting it. They have beat the horse WAY too much now, just leave the series alone FFS. We need more money spent on original horror projects.

Any long-running series will go on in some capacity, it's just the way the business is. It makes money, it keeps on going.

Jigsaw wrote:

There's news on the series now, apparently Lion's Gate is planning to reboot the series. I read it on Bloody Disgusting just earlier. Not a surprise at all they're planning another, reboot or otherwise.

God....I just read about this and it made me vomit in my mouth. I have been a fan of LG but if they "reboot" the Saw series I will lose all respect for them. That's coming from someone who has never had a lotnof hate for remakes on the past.

I think there's still room for sequels in the series, the way the last one ended they can still explore a lot.

I thought the first was awesome than it just went downhill. I get it they made a flick that they could sit around and get drunk and write tons of sequels to if we let them.

Thats my rating!

I only made it to the first 3, so my ranking of them would be 1,3 and 2.

I think I've only seen those four.

If you liked the four you saw the rest of the series is definitely worth catching up on.

The ones I liked are
and the last.
Not much a fan of the others.
But gotta admit that Jigsaw ROCKS!!!

I think Jigsaw is a great villain. He's definitely earned his spot along the Horror Hall Of Fame, IMO.

^^^
Oh yeah he did. Twisted. To the [skull lol] bone he is.

His two helpers (Amanda and Hoffman) are great in their own way, too.

Yeah, I love Amanda!!! Hoffman is cool too but not as much as Amanda IMO.

I never really understood these movies, what is suppose to pull me in? In the first two movies I saw (no pun intended lol) nothing was there to pull me in - I just felt sort of bored? If I can pick the series up for cheap I'll buy it. But I doubt it's cheap.

Is it kills? It's the kills isn't it? tongue

lol
Ya it's the kills and the way they're done. And the way he traps them. Some are really freaky.

kXnPunk wrote:

Yeah, I love Amanda!!! Hoffman is cool too but not as much as Amanda IMO.

Amanda is awesome.

I just realized around this time of year when the new sequels were on their way to release new materials from them would usually be released. Bringing back some memories for sure.

For anyone interested, Welshy of That Guy With The Glasses recently started his Saw Retrospective and thus far has covered up to Saw III, he'll be doing the rest of the series soon. Watched all the videos he did so far, not bad.

I've only seen the first 5 think..

Saw 2
Saw

All the rest I saw were awful.

I'd give Saw VI a chance, it's surprisingly good and definitely a big step-up from the last three before it, IMO.