Topic: Crowd Funding

How do guys feel about crowd funding? Do you think people are just trying to raise money to abuse, or for real causes? Etc.

Discuss.

Re: Crowd Funding

Unless I know the person, I'm far too leery of being conned.  Especially over the internet.  I'd want to know exactly where my money is going and what it will be used for, with documented proof.

But then I'm a stubborn prick, so... lol

LoudLon wrote:

Unless I know the person, I'm far too leery of being conned.  Especially over the internet.  I'd want to know exactly where my money is going and what it will be used for, with documented proof.

But then I'm a stubborn prick, so... lol

Understandable.

What, no love for a guy who raised $50K for sitting on a toilet for 2 days?  sad   And I've read about a bunch of other stupid poo that has made money this way.  But Cthulhu forbid someone raising money for a decent project.

To clarify, I like Lee.  I've seen Gun Town, I enjoyed it, I know he's a serious filmmaker and I completely believe any cabbage I might kick to him would indeed go into another production (if I had any to give, anyway lol ).  Sorry if it came off conversely.

But I took the question as being in general, not specific to any particular filmmaker.  In which case, as said, unless I know the person and/or can be provided proof that my cash is going to what it's supposed to be going to, then no.  Not a chance.

^^
My comment was based at you, el Loudster.  Just the fact that a guy can sit on a toilet and raise more money than a proven film maker.

Yeah, I meant to ask, what filmmaker are you talking about?  Who sat on a toilet and raised money?  I have no clue what you're referring to. lol

P.S. -- where the hell have you been, Azzie?  Haven't seen you around much this last week or so.

Speaking of which, here is a video of Ace giving a live tour through the Gun Town set.  It's choppy since he was running it over his cellphone, and the funky noises are his phone demons.

Lee gives live tour of Gun Town with the monkey.  (YouTube link)

(And yes, that is a monkey perched on my head.)

Last edited by azathoth (2012-09-11 17:42:53)

LOL. I'm basically just looking for general thoughts on the issue. You guys know that if I raise money for something it will go toward film.

I'm just trying to figure out how to convince the other hundreds of thousands of fans out there so I can raise what I need to make good films.

Perhaps a budget breakdown would help. Also, a video from the cast saying "Hi...I'm (name) and I have been cast as (character name) in the Gun Town film.

How about a screening of your previous efforts?  Book a place, host a screening and let people see that you're a talented and capable filmmaker, then offer investment shares in your next project?

I know of a few filmmakers that raise money on twitter.  There is a guy that goes by Indywood Fims that is raising money for a zombie film on twitter.

I'm admittedly a big cynic and I would be wary of giving money to a lot of causes online, but if I knew it was going towards funding horror that otherwise wouldn't get made I'd be more inclined to.

I liked what they did when they were trying to raise funds for Leslie Vernon 2, i.e giving certain privileges for levels of support, but things that don't cost anything until the film is made, for example a signed cast picture, credit in the end film, a prop from the film etc etc. I think people are much more inclined and less likely to think it's a scam if there is an incentive system. Sad but true