Re: Last Mainstream movie you watched.

Continuing with my recent Stephen Chow movie kick, I checked out From Beijing with Love, Chow's take-off on Bond movies.  In fact it's a little more than a take-off; the villain is actually called The Man with the Golden Gun. lol

At any rate, as with most Chow flicks there's slapstick galore, but in this film in particular his typically oddball verbal jokes get lost in the translation.  Not the best Chow flick out there but still more entertaining than your average Adam Sandler movie.  6.5/10.

LoudLon wrote:

Ultraviolet given a 9/10...the Arthur remake given a 7.1/10...I don't know what crazy-ass "sucky movies are now good" world I've woken into, but somebody, please, put me back to sleep! lol

Mwahahaha
Everybody sees the world differently man. tongue

I know, bro.  Just busting chops. big_smile

Hahaha I know.
But could you imagine how boring it'd be if everyone had the same ideas, Yurgh. I think I'd be sleeping all the time... lol

American Pie 2 - 9/10
Adaptation - 8/10
Asterix and Obelix vs. Caesar - 8.5/10

Rewatched for like the 100th time the excellent Sucker Punch. Man I just love this movie so damn much. Dig it.

^^^ I've yet to venture into that one.  I dig Zack Snyder well enough, it just seems like one of those movies to watch when there's nothing better to do. lol

Just watched The Flirting Scholar and Slickers vs Killers.  Scholar is another zany Stephen Chow kung fu comedy with one of the most nonsensible endings I've seen in a while yet, like most Chow flicks, is nevertheless entertaining.  Slickers vs Killers was one of the very, very few Sammo Hung flicks I'd never seen, and I can honestly say it wasn't worth the wait.  Some decent fights here and there, with some decent eye candy in the trio of female supporting characters (two of whom, Carol "Do Do" Cheng and Hung's real-life wife Joyce Godenzi) but the story is all over the place.

The Flirting Scholar: 6.5/10
Slickers vs Killers: 5/10

Zack Snyder is a great director. I have the Ultimate Watchmen Director's Cut and it was totally worth the buy. It's longer with more content, and I think I'm going to give it a rewatch because I do remember enjoying it.

I loved Watchmen.  I have the Director's Cut, which is basically the Ultimate Cut minus the Tales of the Black Freighter animated portions.  But I didn't much like the Black Freighter sub-story anyway, not even in the actual Watchmen series (of which I otherwise am a devout fan) so no big loss.

Once Upon A Time In America... Gotta re-watch because of the plotless scenes... Surprised to see Jennifer Connelly's first role had a kiss... (jealous of that guy who portrayed young Noodles) A pretty violent and gory film. I'd would class this as horror. Gave up at like third hour because got to take a bath. Anyway,, must re-watch that ultra disturbing crime film. Happy that it has two horror stars in it (James Woods (Videodrome, Scary Movie 2 (lol)) and Jennifer Connelly (Phenomena, Dark Water and I heard that Requiem of A Dream is also considered a horror film, too. (Yeah haven't watched that movie))) I watch it on a DVD so the boobs are quite good looking in this film. Can't believe this is longer than The Godfather movies which I haven't watched yet but WILL!

Grown Ups

God of Cookery (1996).  Stephen Chow as the world's greatest chef who, as payback for his arrogance, is publicly disgraced by a rival chef.  Learning the error of his ways, he sets back to regain his title.  Unlike most Chow flicks the humor is more situational and less reliant on sight gags and verbal puns -- until the even more whacked out than usual finale.  Plenty of laughs nevertheless. 7/10

The Muppets

The Whistle Blower
Rachel Weisz is as always amazing in this one. What an INCREDIBLE actress she is. I don't think I didn't like one movie she was in. She's sooo over the top.
Nice cop flick.

The Double (2011)-Two of my favorite actors Richard Gere and Topher Grace yet it just wasn't my cup of tea.

Starting Hanna now. Love this young actress.

Platoon

Brooklyn's Finest

Snakes on a Plane - 6/10

^^^
Lucky Samuel L. Jackson was in this 'cause it's kinda bad.

Last edited by kXnPunk (2012-09-22 20:02:49)

The Grey.

Thought this looked horrible and had no plans of seeing it.  Then read a lot of good things about it, some of which were here.  ended up thinking it was a pretty solid flick.  Entertaining, well made and actually fairly unpredictable compared to what I thought it would be.

^^^
Neeson is so amazing in this one.

9 1/2 Weeks what an amazing movie this one is.
Love it EVERYTIME I watch it.

watched How to Lose A Guy in 10 Days....very good movie actually.  My wife bought the Blu Ray for like 7 bucks at wal mart and I thought it would be a silly chick flick and it was so funny.

Cosmopolis (2012) -- Cronenbergs latest, anyone seen this one yet? I actually stopped about an hour into it. Just completely not what I expected, the dialogue is to intellect for its own good and makes it hard to follow. The characters seem so unrealistic and hokey. I just couldn't get into it, I may try to finish it later.

ChainSaW80 wrote:

Cosmopolis (2012) -- Cronenbergs latest, anyone seen this one yet? I actually stopped about an hour into it. Just completely not what I expected, the dialogue is to intellect for its own good and makes it hard to follow. The characters seem so unrealistic and hokey. I just couldn't get into it, I may try to finish it later.

Dang, I'm a fan of his and didn't know he had a new one.  Shame on me.  Sounds like it could at least be interesting to say "yes i watched it" haha