Topic: Watch and Discuss

Yesterday as I was surfing through my netflix que an idea struck me. Basically I thought it would cool if every week we picked a horror movie and then came back here to discuss it. I was thinking it should be something that either everyone should probably own or is easily available either through netflix or Amazon Instant video.

Let me know what you guys think because it can't happen without the support of the community here.. I was also thinking that we could nominate someone to choose the next picture as well.. That way we will get a wide variety of different films..

Anyway let me know if you guys think this is a cool idea.

Re: Watch and Discuss

^^
Yeah, we call it Movie Night.  I've been doing it for nearly 2 years now.

Here are some of the podcasts of them.

The weekend before Halloween is going to be HorrorFest 2012- a full weekend of about 30 movies in a row.

Last edited by azathoth (2012-09-20 13:41:49)

Sounds good, I'll keep checking back on this thread to see what film you guys choose.

azathoth wrote:

^^
Yeah, we call it Movie Night.  I've been doing it for nearly 2 years now.

Here are some of the podcasts of them.

The weekend before Halloween is going to be HorrorFest 2012- a full weekend of about 30 movies in a row.

Heh yea I had no idea as I haven't been around for awhile.. Meh told me about your set up after I posted it.. Do you have a thread for this or what? Is it basically the same way my idea is set up to work?

There is a thread for all of the previous ones.  (I'd say search for "Movie Night", but the Search function is kinda broke right now, but you can scroll down the 'Contests/Events' sub-forum to find them)  The current thread is "HorrorFest 2012".  What we do on Movie Nights is play the movie (individually) and talk/text over Skype in real time, MST3K style.

For "official" nights, I record a podcast of them.  A lot of times if enough people show up on Skype on a Friday or Saturday we just pop whatever in and talk about it.

As for your idea, it sounds like you just need to make a thread for whatever movie you want to talk about.  That's cool, and I'd be glad to participate.

Yea I mean I didn't want to "steal your thunder" heh.. I'll think about going on with it.. We'll see.

Would anyone here be interested in a time & place to all sit down and watch 'The Untold Story' at the same time? I'm a newb here so if I'm treading on toes then merely ignore me but that one would be a wicked film to have a group discussion about in real-time???

Not at all man.. But uh what is The Untold Story? I googled it and only came up with an old Chinese crime drama.. I've been out of the loop for a little while so it may be something I just missed..

@ Fulcento & Goon-  Here's the \"Skype Hello Thread.\"  Go there and say "Hey, I'm going to watch [film] at [whatever time/day], come join me if you want."

Just remember to mention what time zone you're in when giving a time- we cover 9 time zones (and that's not counting the Aussies).

I really like this idea. Sadly I don't have a mic or video cam so all I can do is type, but I'll try to make do.

The Untold Story is a very good, very well-acted but very brutal HK horror flick based on a true case back in the late 70s (I believe), about a man who took over a restaurant after killing the owner and the owner's family, then disposed of the bodies by chopping them up and selling them as roast pork buns to unsuspecting customers.  Anthony Wong (one of my favorite HK actors, dude's totally fearless) plays the lead role, won a Golden Horse Award for best actor (the HK version of the Oscars, and the first ever Category III film to win such an award -- Category III being the HK equivalent of rated X or NC-17). 

Weak points: director/actor Danny Lee's portrayal as the detective on the case.  Back during the time the movie was made rumors were floating around HK cinema about his sexual preferences, so in response he cast himself with a different hot babe on his arm for every scene.  That, plus some of the out-of-place comedy relief, are the only downpoints to this otherwise stark and harrowing exploitation flick.

Yea thats the flick I saw when I googled it.. It just kind of looked like a crime thriller at first glance.. Thanks for the lesson Lon.

Ok yeah I suck with technology. I can't figure out the skype thingy. Downloaded the free version, but it makes no sense.  hmm