Re: Who here bought Cabin in the Woods?

I just got home from Best Buy where I picked up Cabin in the Woods on Blu Ray!! Looks so shiny, lol

I've done a good deal of reading about Cabin in the Woods on the internet and this is the first time I've come across more negative talk than positive. 

Whedon and Goddard were not trying to end the horror genre.  Basically Goddard described this movie as putting every single thing he's ever wanted to do in a horror film, in this one film.  He directed it as if it was his last film ever.  I watched the Making of last night on the Blu Ray, and Whedon even wanted to direct the film he thought the script was so good.  These guys are VERY proud of their film and rightfully so.  I am not one to follow the critics, but this movie received a 91 percent on rottentomatoes which is absurd as far as movies go.

This has got to be one of the funniest horror movies ever.  Basically every line Brad Whitford said is hilarious.

If I would have heard this was the best Horror movie since Scream, before I saw it, I might not have liked it as much.  Expectations going into a movie do matter.  The movie is overhyped for numerous reasons.  For one, it is very easily the best mainstream horror movie since Scream.  That is partly because there has been a lot of crap with a few glimpses of hope inbetween.

This movie makes me, and a ton of others feel like they are watching all of their favorite horror movies combined into one.  The Buckner family was absolutely terrifying.  This movie does an amazing job at going from pure laughter, to pure terror. 

Also the cast is filled with great actors which is what helps separate this as well as Scream.  Oh, and the main guy, I like to call him THOR is just awesome.  "Don't hold up man."  "I never do."
Right before he goes crashing into the invisible wall.

Well I don't really care who liked or how many people liked it. Saying it is the best movie since Scream is pure opinion. I have seen plenty of indie films that I would say is better than Cabin in the Woods.. Plus I've watched and read several interviews where cast members and others have said "It is the horror film to end all horror films".. It's pretty arrogant if you ask me.

Like I said before though I think a lot of people just like Whedon's work because it is him. You go in already liking it. I know the movie gets high praise everywhere and thats part of what pisses me off. I don't think this a shining beacon of horror by any means..

^
Totally agree

Cast members? Who cares what the cast members say about it.  Do the writer's and director's feel that way?

I hear you man I am the same way about movies when they are overhyped.  Cabin in the Woods has definitely gotten a ton of hype.  I despise movies like Inception because people feel it is way better than it actually is.

I didn't know barely anything about Joss Whedon before I went in.  I saw this film knowing literally nothing about it.  I have seen so many horror movies it is ridiculous and was able to catch all the homages on the first viewing.  I said to my friend, do your realize what we just saw?  His mind was more blown than mine.  Whedon and Goddard made a brilliant brilliant film whether it is overhyped or not.  You are right, it being the best mainstream horror Scream is purely opinion, but I am not close to the only one who has said that.  I also thought that right after leaving the film and it seems a ton of people coincidentally feel the same way.

There is just so much to appreciate about this film though..

Stuff like when "the black guy" is driving the RV and telling "The Virgin" that everything is going to be fine, and giving this great motivational speech, and then BAM.  A straight up knife through the throat.  You can say it has all been done before but it is NOT normally done with such a great writer/great young actors.  Perfect timing and perfect direction.  The kills all come so fast.  When the Buckner family set up to cut the blonde girl's head off, you just see for a split second this family cutting this girls head off as if they have done it thousands of times before.  The way Whedon and Goddard put this movie together is seriously unparallelled.

The cellar for example.  I'm sure you know this but the Cellar is filled with literally hundreds of things that activate all the monsters.  Literally every single thing that was placed in that room, Goddard the director placed with his very own hands.  He has a back story for every single one of the monsters.  When he came up with the idea for the Diary which summoned the Buckner family, he had Whedon write it.  Whedon literally wrote a whole back story to the Buckner family and handed it back to Goddard.  This movie goes so much further in depth as far as this type of thing is concerned than most horror.  Creating all these monsters and not just using CGI is another reason this movie is just ahead of it's time(or behind it).  The merman, the werewolf, all of the Zombies, the Hellraiser monster.  You cannot sit here and say that this movie is not on another level artistically when it comes to creating monsters.

I am not trying to get you to like the film, I am just giving you reasons as to why I and so many others might love it.

I mean the fricken Merman(an obvious homage to the creature from the Black Lagoon) eats Brad Whitford and blood literally spits out his blow hole, and then onto the next scene.

How many times have you watched it?  Not saying you will change your mind but there is just sooo much to see in this film that it is worth multiple viewings.  The dialogue with the guys in the control room is just so perfect as well.  Whedon and Goddard wanted these guys to kind of be a metaphor for the type of people that go to work every day making weapons of mass destruction, and they just act casual about it.  These guys were literally betting on who was going to die and how just for fun.

You've mentioned the crew's opinion about the movie a couple times.  What the actors feel about the movie should have nothing to do with it.  These actors know nothing about the horror genre and are just actors, just like every other movie.  They realized they made something special, so maybe they were arrogant about it.  They are actors.  If you are letting that effect your opinion of the movie at all you are making a big mistake.  Whedon and Goddard were not at all trying to end the horror genre.  If anything they brought it back.  BIG TIME.

Last edited by ExplorerPOD (2012-09-21 12:10:10)

Goon wrote:

Well I don't really care who liked or how many people liked it. Saying it is the best movie since Scream is pure opinion. I have seen plenty of indie films that I would say is better than Cabin in the Woods.. Plus I've watched and read several interviews where cast members and others have said "It is the horror film to end all horror films".. It's pretty arrogant if you ask me.

Like I said before though I think a lot of people just like Whedon's work because it is him. You go in already liking it. I know the movie gets high praise everywhere and thats part of what pisses me off. I don't think this a shining beacon of horror by any means..

The Avengers already had 'perfect' written all over it even before people had seen it. So yes, I do agree with you.

I loved Cabin in the Woods the very first time I saw it, but after seeing a second time I didn't think he held up as well.  First time it was new and fresh and I got swept up in the emotional aspect of it; the second time, watching it more analytically, I was left with questions the movie was unable to answer.

The best parts IMO are the underground control room stuff with Brad Cooper and Richard Jenkins.  I think if the teens themselves weren't such "types" it may have provoked more interesting reactions from the characters, but then in the context of the story they're supposed to be types (that's the whole point) so I guess that argument is neither here nor there.

At any rate, while I don't think it holds up as well after that first watch, I'd still rate it above average.  I'd go maybe six, six and a half out of ten.

I would agree that, at times, Joss Whedon can be a little overhyped, but what great talent isnt?  Seth MacFarlane is way overhyped and he's funny as hell.  People say Sam Raimi (although I don't agree there).  I just look at Cabin as a fun horror movie.  It's not trying to be jump out of your pants scary, it's not trying to be great...it's just fun. 

I will say that I'm upset, I thought it had a DVD copy.  My Blu Ray player is in the bedroom for the time being and I wanted to watch the dvd on my xbox today when i got it.  Just Ultraviolet and Digital Copy.  I think UV can be played through VUDU although I'm not sure.

Just redeemed the Ultraviolet and it works on VUDU which can be played on XBOX AND it's in HD...so I'm watching it right now, so excited!

I liked it, but it didn't blow me away. It was fun and had some fresh ideas. I loved the humor. I just wasn't impressed by the explanation of why things happened. I loved it up until that point. The ending felt a bit like a cop-out. I really liked the bloody massacre, but the reasoning is what threw me.

I wonder if some people didn't like it at first because they were expecting a regular slasher?  I was fully expecting a comedy going into it and it didn't let me down. Is it a beacon of Horror?  ...Hardly!  But is it better than most of the stuff put out by the major studios lately? Absolutely!

Goon, you are right there have been plenty of Indie movies this past year that are just as good.  I think this will always be a movie that will divide Horror fans fright down the middle.  You either like it or hate it, there seems to be no middle ground.  and on that note, I can't wait until you guys have seen Lords of Salem so we can discuss it here...lol

I ordered it from amazon. I was going to get it a few days ago at Walmart but my stupid cousin Had me paged in the store, I put it down where I was and left the store, it was annoying and made me really mad. Also I haven't seen it yet but I really want to.

ExplorerPOD wrote:

Cast members? Who cares what the cast members say about it.  Do the writer's and director's feel that way?

I hear you man I am the same way about movies when they are overhyped.  Cabin in the Woods has definitely gotten a ton of hype.  I despise movies like Inception because people feel it is way better than it actually is.

I didn't know barely anything about Joss Whedon before I went in.  I saw this film knowing literally nothing about it.  I have seen so many horror movies it is ridiculous and was able to catch all the homages on the first viewing.  I said to my friend, do your realize what we just saw?  His mind was more blown than mine.  Whedon and Goddard made a brilliant brilliant film whether it is overhyped or not.  You are right, it being the best mainstream horror Scream is purely opinion, but I am not close to the only one who has said that.  I also thought that right after leaving the film and it seems a ton of people coincidentally feel the same way.

There is just so much to appreciate about this film though..

Stuff like when "the black guy" is driving the RV and telling "The Virgin" that everything is going to be fine, and giving this great motivational speech, and then BAM.  A straight up knife through the throat.  You can say it has all been done before but it is NOT normally done with such a great writer/great young actors.  Perfect timing and perfect direction.  The kills all come so fast.  When the Buckner family set up to cut the blonde girl's head off, you just see for a split second this family cutting this girls head off as if they have done it thousands of times before.  The way Whedon and Goddard put this movie together is seriously unparallelled.

The cellar for example.  I'm sure you know this but the Cellar is filled with literally hundreds of things that activate all the monsters.  Literally every single thing that was placed in that room, Goddard the director placed with his very own hands.  He has a back story for every single one of the monsters.  When he came up with the idea for the Diary which summoned the Buckner family, he had Whedon write it.  Whedon literally wrote a whole back story to the Buckner family and handed it back to Goddard.  This movie goes so much further in depth as far as this type of thing is concerned than most horror.  Creating all these monsters and not just using CGI is another reason this movie is just ahead of it's time(or behind it).  The merman, the werewolf, all of the Zombies, the Hellraiser monster.  You cannot sit here and say that this movie is not on another level artistically when it comes to creating monsters.

I am not trying to get you to like the film, I am just giving you reasons as to why I and so many others might love it.

I mean the fricken Merman(an obvious homage to the creature from the Black Lagoon) eats Brad Whitford and blood literally spits out his blow hole, and then onto the next scene.

How many times have you watched it?  Not saying you will change your mind but there is just sooo much to see in this film that it is worth multiple viewings.  The dialogue with the guys in the control room is just so perfect as well.  Whedon and Goddard wanted these guys to kind of be a metaphor for the type of people that go to work every day making weapons of mass destruction, and they just act casual about it.  These guys were literally betting on who was going to die and how just for fun.

You've mentioned the crew's opinion about the movie a couple times.  What the actors feel about the movie should have nothing to do with it.  These actors know nothing about the horror genre and are just actors, just like every other movie.  They realized they made something special, so maybe they were arrogant about it.  They are actors.  If you are letting that effect your opinion of the movie at all you are making a big mistake.  Whedon and Goddard were not at all trying to end the horror genre.  If anything they brought it back.  BIG TIME.

Excellent post but I detested it and found it to be a rather smug and mocking film.
My anticipation may have clouded ones judgement but I was expecting a mindlessly entertaining carnival ride of gruesomeness ala 'Demon Knight' or 'Planet Terror', both of which display a savvy knowledge of the genre without bashing us over the head with such dunderheaded self awareness of the cliches and conventions of the horror genre and throw them in our face like we're fucking stupid. "Look dude, look what we're doing! We're turning the slasher genre upside down with our genius! We're re-writing the formula single handed. Look at how edgy and creative we are. Look at us.LOOK AT US." Er, no thanks, with that level of subtelty I'll politely piss off and watch 'The Evil Dead' instead, a film made by a guy who knows how to use exposition.

Now, I'm no fan of breaking down the conventional walls of the genre, I find it lazy and vexing and at best doing so is disrespectful and at worst is destructive to the genre. It was neither a horror, nor a comedy, nor a horror/comedy. It was simply an excercise in smug self promotion from an insufferable upstart who believed he was being creative when in reality he was damaging the horror scene. I bloody well hope to high heaven this doesn't start a new trend in post-modernistic-crap-fest-pretentious-tripe-in-the-woods-horror-lite-shite.

It's about as subtle as as a fucking steamroller and the constant dunderheaded self-referential conceit is just an excuse to unleash a torrent of awkward, distracting exposition through each and every character's dialog. The writing is terrible and juvenile and the hackneyed crap that the makers themselves proclaim to be ridiculing, oops, sorry, I meant, homaging has been done far better in many films before. Unless this clever little film was a ruse metaphor for the horror film industry, or horror fans expectations or whatever. If that's the case then The Cabin in the Woods isn't just lame, it's insufferably pretentious and insulting.

Now, you may think I'm a rather jaded viewer who simply can't abide deconstruction in horror but no, for eg - I adored Leslie Vernon, a film which parodied and toyed with the tropes and cliche's of the slasher sub-genre but had an intelligent script. The Cabin in the Woods however sounds like it was written by a thirteen year old schoolgirl who'd just watched 'Scream'.

I'd give it 3/10.

^ How Before the Mask: The Return of Leslie Vernon didn't raise enough to get a sequel and Paranormal Activity is on it's fourth now, is laughable.

Although I love Cabin in the Woods (I too expected a comedy styled horror movie) I will agree that other movies tried doing the same thing and executed it better IE Behind the Mask Rise of Leslie Vernon.  Talk about that and Lords of Salem, I wanna go on a movie binge right now.

^
^
Yeah, I know, Leslie Vernon part 2 seems perpetually stuck in development hell. I heard it was slated for a 2013 release but that doesn't seem to be on the cards anymore. sad

Fulcento wrote:

^
^
Yeah, I know, Leslie Vernon part 2 seems perpetually stuck in development hell. I heard it was slated for a 2013 release but that doesn't seem to be on the cards anymore. sad

As long as it happens, I'll wait it out!  First one was so great

Scavenger of Human Sorrow wrote:

^ How Before the Mask: The Return of Leslie Vernon didn't raise enough to get a sequel and Paranormal Activity is on it's fourth now, is laughable.

Because only Horror Geeks like us know that movie is awesome.  The general movie going public has never even heard of it...  Paranormal Activity on the other hand is very mainstream.  Just shows what a good marketing campaign can do for a movie.

@Fulcento - Nah, it was like off the mark for the amount of money they needed to raise by like...$400,000. Unless something dramatic happens I don't even think it will happen, and the first was so good too.

Fact: One of the writers is on Facebook and accepts everyone, very nice fellow.

Last edited by Scavenger of Human Sorrow (2012-09-21 16:36:04)

Gardenofstone10 wrote:
Fulcento wrote:

^
^

Yeah, I bloody well loved Behind The Mask and I normally hate parody style horror. Like you say, as long as it happens, I'm happy. If it's even half as good as the original, I'll be content.
I'm dying to know what happened to him after he raised up out of the gurney in the final scene!!!

Scavenger of Human Sorrow wrote:

@Fulcento - Nah, it was like off the mark for the amount of money they needed to raise by like...$400,000. Unless something dramatic happens I don't even think it will happen, and the first was so good too.

Fact: One of the writers is on Facebook and accepts everyone, very nice fellow.

Oh? So it's not going forward anymore?
DAMN, I was sincerely hoping for a sequel. sad
Anyone got a spare half a mil' haha!!!

Fulcento wrote:
Gardenofstone10 wrote:
Fulcento wrote:

^
^

Yeah, I bloody well loved Behind The Mask and I normally hate parody style horror. Like you say, as long as it happens, I'm happy. If it's even half as good as the original, I'll be content.
I'm dying to know what happened to him after he raised up out of the gurney in the final scene!!!

I"m thinking the other way around, prequel.  How you raise a kid to become a serial killer, etc...  That would be epic.

Fulcento wrote:

Excellent post but I detested it and found it to be a rather smug and mocking film.
My anticipation may have clouded ones judgement but I was expecting a mindlessly entertaining carnival ride of gruesomeness ala 'Demon Knight' or 'Planet Terror', both of which display a savvy knowledge of the genre without bashing us over the head with such dunderheaded self awareness of the cliches and conventions of the horror genre and throw them in our face like we're fucking stupid. "Look dude, look what we're doing! We're turning the slasher genre upside down with our genius! We're re-writing the formula single handed. Look at how edgy and creative we are. Look at us.LOOK AT US." Er, no thanks, with that level of subtelty I'll politely piss off and watch 'The Evil Dead' instead, a film made by a guy who knows how to use exposition.

Now, I'm no fan of breaking down the conventional walls of the genre, I find it lazy and vexing and at best doing so is disrespectful and at worst is destructive to the genre. It was neither a horror, nor a comedy, nor a horror/comedy. It was simply an excercise in smug self promotion from an insufferable upstart who believed he was being creative when in reality he was damaging the horror scene. I bloody well hope to high heaven this doesn't start a new trend in post-modernistic-crap-fest-pretentious-tripe-in-the-woods-horror-lite-shite.

It's about as subtle as as a fucking steamroller and the constant dunderheaded self-referential conceit is just an excuse to unleash a torrent of awkward, distracting exposition through each and every character's dialog. The writing is terrible and juvenile and the hackneyed crap that the makers themselves proclaim to be ridiculing, oops, sorry, I meant, homaging has been done far better in many films before. Unless this clever little film was a ruse metaphor for the horror film industry, or horror fans expectations or whatever. If that's the case then The Cabin in the Woods isn't just lame, it's insufferably pretentious and insulting.

Now, you may think I'm a rather jaded viewer who simply can't abide deconstruction in horror but no, for eg - I adored Leslie Vernon, a film which parodied and toyed with the tropes and cliche's of the slasher sub-genre but had an intelligent script. The Cabin in the Woods however sounds like it was written by a thirteen year old schoolgirl who'd just watched 'Scream'.

I'd give it 3/10.

Damn.. I agree with this.. This is exactly what I was talking about.. The arrogance of the entire crew..

It seems to me that these days it's getting more and more difficult to find a really good, and most of all "original," horror movie. IMO, Cabin in the Woods were both. Really good and original. Not only that, but it was fun.

I've heard a lot of mixed emotions about the ending, and can see how some were disappointed. Personally, I liked the ending.

Underdog wrote:

It seems to me that these days it's getting more and more difficult to find a really good, and most of all "original," horror movie. IMO, Cabin in the Woods were both. Really good and original. Not only that, but it was fun.

I've heard a lot of mixed emotions about the ending, and can see how some were disappointed. Personally, I liked the ending.

I would agree that original is pretty much out the window, but still possible.  At least fresh spin on things, The Innkeepers comes to my head.  Not full original but it used certain things that worked to create a very well paced and creepy atmosphere of a movie