Topic: Are Limited Editions DVD's/Blu Rays a marketing gimmick?

Are they?

Last edited by Vasquez (2012-09-23 17:40:49)

Re: Are Limited Editions DVD's/Blu Rays a marketing gimmick?

Not necessarily, no.  I'm sure with the bigger studios it's totally a marketing ploy, just like when they double dip (multiple releases of a single title over a period of years, each new DVD "better" than the last). 

But independent flicks or smaller flicks are given less money for DVD printing and distributing, so fewer copies are made, making those smaller releases quite literally limited editions.  They just don't have the dough to print out millions of copies like the big dog studios can.

Last edited by LoudLon (2012-09-23 17:54:45)

Also depends on whether the limited editions have extra stuff on them.  Like Lon said, some things, like the LotR films would have the regular edition, and then 6 months later come out with a feature laden edition.  But then you have things like the regular Evil Dead 2 edition, and 5 years later they came out with a new edition with a bunch of extras.

I tend to wait for awhile before buying any new movies, just to see if a new edition comes out a few months later.  You just need to check to see if the limited edition has any/enough extra stuff to pay the difference.

I'd say, too that you have a basic barebones edition for the casual fans of any movie in any genre who just want the movie.  Then you have people, like me, who dig all the making of and other featurettes.  Sure they cost more, but you get more and as a collector, that's what I aim for...more

I always loved the way Arrow Video would give you loads of stuff just with normal copies of the DVD you bought, like Posters, awesome artwork, lots of features on-disc too. And you don't much extra. Arrow Video are great. tongue

I've only got two dvd's that I really care for. One is the VHS-sized double disc edition of Opera which has a bonus soundtrack disc;
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_r1zdwXF6tbQ/SUMDcKMclXI/AAAAAAAAENk/JStYAgiuEE4/s320/imagem+425-web.jpg and the other is the ultimate 4 disc edition of Dawn of the Dead with the European version, extended cut, directors reissue and a disc full of extras. This is what it looks like when it's all layed out:
http://www.dotd.dannyduchesneau.com/images/item_images/dvd/us_anchor%20bay-ultimate%20edition_dv12167_2004_set.jpg
Dawn has both the documentaries, 'The Dead Will Walk' and 'Document of the Dead' on the fourth disc and I wouldn't sell it for all the riches in England. The Opera dvd is limited to 30,000 copies, I have the rather shit number 22,137, plus one of the plastic snapper things is broken so you can have it if you make me an offer over 50 million pounds!!!
Alls that said though, I've also downloaded the longest ever cut of Dawn off the interwebs, a German one hundred and fifty something minute long copy so different yolks for different blokes I reckon. In short, special edition stele books tend to be a rip off but genuine limited edition stuff is great to own.

That Dawn of the Dead, I paid 60 for it years ago, it's 10 bucks now....makes me so mad.  I had a copy of Suspiria that was 3 discs including the Goblin soundtrack.  I'm so mad i got rid of my dvd collection.  sad

^^^
I got my Dawn of the Dead box set from a second hand shop for a tenner about 5 years ago so whether or not it's depreciated is by the by to me. I love it and would never even consider selling it. That Suspiria set sounds mint though. I'd love to get my grubby little paws on that! big_smile

Yeah that Suspiria one makes me want to weep out loud that I got rid of it.  Even thinking about it now makes me want to crush a grape or two.

Speaking of Limited Editions, I actually got this delivered to me today:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Texas-Chain … amp;sr=8-3

It's real awesome, three discs of extra stuff.

Would u guys say this is a legitimate Limited Editiion set

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Video-Nasties-D … amp;sr=1-2

when the standard version is exact same only with a difference of a few VCR cover postcards

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Video-Nasties-D … amp;sr=1-1

The thing is I lost my limited edition of it and replaced that with a standard edition but i still have my postcards from the previous limited edition i had which i could slip in my replacement version. Will this make the standard edition worth more or does it have to actually say Limited Edition on the back ala the actual Limited Editions.

I would say you have to really study each one. It's a lot like comics. They saw the collectors and now everything has a collectors edition or "limited edition" but in reality they are printing off so many copies that its worthless. It's more important to get the first prints.

Same goes for hollywood. If the movie is a bigger budget then it probably isn't "that" limited. If you are paying close to a hundred dollars for something and its actually selling out fast, then its probably worthwhile. Otherwise I don't really see a point, its just something in it to jack the price up.

Overall it comes down to the fanbase. If you enjoy the movie, then why not throw extra money at it so they make more?

it could be in certain situations. if I were able to keep on making movies, I'd start releasing 1000 copies only of each one. It is cool marketing.

Vasquez wrote:

Would u guys say this is a legitimate Limited Editiion set

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Video-Nasties-D … amp;sr=1-2

when the standard version is exact same only with a difference of a few VCR cover postcards

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Video-Nasties-D … amp;sr=1-1

The thing is I lost my limited edition of it and replaced that with a standard edition but i still have my postcards from the previous limited edition i had which i could slip in my replacement version. Will this make the standard edition worth more or does it have to actually say Limited Edition on the back ala the actual Limited Editions.

Honestly, while I LOVED that documentary, I don't think it was anywhere near popular enough that either edition will increase in value over time.  Ten years from now it'll probably be worth less than what you paid for it. hmm

That said, if you already have the cards, I'd just order the standard edition.  The only difference then would be the name on the case.

aceofspades70 wrote:

it could be in certain situations. if I were able to keep on making movies, I'd start releasing 1000 copies only of each one. It is cool marketing.

Seriously.  I'm in KY.  You're close to KY.  We should do a project together.  I'll sit on my fat ass and write it, then I'll sit on my fat ass while you direct it.

Just a thought.