Re: Who here bought Cabin in the Woods?

Yeah I loved it and bought it Tuesday when it came out

Goon wrote:

Damn.. I agree with this.. This is exactly what I was talking about.. The arrogance of the entire crew..

Yeah, I kept expecting those two blokes in the laboratorial control room to suddenly stop spouting whatever pretentious claptrap they happened to be reciting as the background music screeched to a halt, stare deadpan into the camera, throw up devil horn hands and yell "THIS IS THE GREATEST HORROR FILM EVER CONCEIVED DUDES!" I can only imagine it was a clerical error it never happened. Or, better yet, it could have ended with the camera slowly panning out to reveal that the entire film was in fact just that - a film - and that none of it were true. The camera could then keep reversing out into the foyer and into the street... only to reveal... Du du du... that there's a plague of zombie/werewolf/vampires all set to storm the cinema. Now THAT, Joss, is how to do it me laddy. Piece of piss mate.

For some reason I just didn't see it the same way you guys saw it as everyone being arrogant.  I completely understand what you are saying but I just had an absolute blast watching this movie.  It was as close to 80s horror/comedy as American cinema has seen in a long time.  Bradley Whitford and Richard Jenkins were spot on brilliant.

Another thing is it is not like these guys made this movie when this type of film was popular.  This is 2012.  When is the last time we have gotten a good Evil Dead type horror? I'm talking no CGI, great comedy, as well as great horror.  We've had a few like you mentioned with Grindhouse(my favorite and does a great job at paying homage without being too obvious, yet Planet terror does have a little arrogance about it).  It is also two of America's best directors.  Drag Me To Hell wasn't too bad.  People seem to love Wrong Turn but clearly, this type of Horror film has literally disappeared and it disappeared long ago.  Basically serious horror has taken over.  Cabin in the Woods is a huge breath of fresh air just being that it is a well done Monster flick.  Then you combine it with the back story staring Jenkins and Whitford and this is what has horror fans drooling.  We've never seen anything like it, even though it is entirely a derivative film.

There are so many little things about this movie that mean so much to a horror fan.  Like that Howling/American Werewolf in London style werewolf lurking around the whole film.  The Merman just being a man in a suit basically to pay homage to the Creature from the Black Lagoon.  This movie is FILLED to the brim with things like this.  I can't quite see how a horror fan cannot appreciate it's magic at least a little bit.

Last edited by ExplorerPOD (2012-09-24 10:53:55)

Yeah, it didn't come across as arrogant at all for me...  speaking of Joss Whedon, I am looking forward to listening to the commentary.  His commentaries are usually pretty good.  Picked up the blu on the way home.

Bill Moseley just told me to watch Cabin the Woods tonight instead of halloween 3...So if it's good enough for Chop Top Moseley than it's good enough for me....lol

Can't go anywhere without hearing positive talk about this movie. I was on the fence till reading all the talk about it today. I will be picking it up by the weekend and watching it. Joss Whedon is behind it, so of course its going to be great haha

You talked to Bill Moseley on twitter or something? Yes Mosesley is an absolute horror legend and if the cast and crew isn't too arrogant for him(someone who is actually a horror icon) then I'm sure as heck not gonna sit here and say they are too arrogant for a regular fan like me.

Also I just bought Halloween 3 on DVD and have been waiting to watch it.  I think I am going to wait till October but I am so tempted to put it on tonight.  Gonna go with Critters and House though probably tonight.  Save Halloween 1, 2, and 3 for October.

Edit: Just saw Moseley's twitter that is awesome.  Cabin in the woods is a lot of fun he said.  Haha. DAMN RIGHT.  Good to see that an actor who has been in the horror genre for decades isn't offended by the arrogance of Cabin in the Woods.

Last edited by ExplorerPOD (2012-09-24 18:18:15)

I had the brand new special editions of Halloween 2 and 3 in my cart when I was at the store earlier, but my wife thinks paying bills is more important than buying horror movies.  Ugh.  The store had a lot so I'll go back once bills are paid and hopefully they are still there (with perfect condition slip sleeves they look so beautiful)

^^ I want those! The current versions I have suck as far as special features are concerned.

Yeah...I am totally having a fangirl moment over that...I think I love him even more now! 

ExplorerPOD wrote:

You talked to Bill Moseley on twitter or something? Yes Mosesley is an absolute horror legend and if the cast and crew isn't too arrogant for him(someone who is actually a horror icon) then I'm sure as heck not gonna sit here and say they are too arrogant for a regular fan like me.

Also I just bought Halloween 3 on DVD and have been waiting to watch it.  I think I am going to wait till October but I am so tempted to put it on tonight.  Gonna go with Critters and House though probably tonight.  Save Halloween 1, 2, and 3 for October.

Edit: Just saw Moseley's twitter that is awesome.  Cabin in the woods is a lot of fun he said.  Haha. DAMN RIGHT.  Good to see that an actor who has been in the horror genre for decades isn't offended by the arrogance of Cabin in the Woods.

DirtyGirl wrote:

You mean the bloodbath at the end with all the monsters was crappy?  I loved it smile

I felt like this was Whedon giving me my reward for being a loyal and loving fan of his work since Buffy! I loved the references and how I could pick out so many great horrors from the boxes. I REALLY loved this movie, the characters, the bloodbath, the cocky scientists, the story, the silly jokes and one liners...

It was just a great big load of fun. Nothing serious, nothing tear jerking or heart renching just good old horror entertainment! My favourite of the year. I may have to watch it again tonight.

Goon wrote:

Well I don't really care who liked or how many people liked it. Saying it is the best movie since Scream is pure opinion. I have seen plenty of indie films that I would say is better than Cabin in the Woods.. Plus I've watched and read several interviews where cast members and others have said "It is the horror film to end all horror films".. It's pretty arrogant if you ask me.

Like I said before though I think a lot of people just like Whedon's work because it is him. You go in already liking it. I know the movie gets high praise everywhere and thats part of what pisses me off. I don't think this a shining beacon of horror by any means..

MAHOOOSIVE Whedon fan. I love most of his work, there is very little I don't know about the Buffyverse and I NEVER get tired of it. However, I was apprehensive about Cabin. I really wanted it to be good and did everything in my power to avoid any coversation about it and didn't even watch trailers incase they spoilt it for me. I was not disapointed. I sometimes feel like people dislike a film because so many people like it. I have a certain un named but extremely popular horror classic I dislike quite strongly but like most of the directors other work. I think it's unfair to judge a film by any names under it. Unless it's a Tom Six or a Tom Hardy. Panda you know what I'm talking about wink

UltraViolence wrote:
DirtyGirl wrote:

You mean the bloodbath at the end with all the monsters was crappy?  I loved it smile

I felt like this was Whedon giving me my reward for being a loyal and loving fan of his work since Buffy! I loved the references and how I could pick out so many great horrors from the boxes. I REALLY loved this movie, the characters, the bloodbath, the cocky scientists, the story, the silly jokes and one liners...

It was just a great big load of fun. Nothing serious, nothing tear jerking or heart renching just good old horror entertainment! My favourite of the year. I may have to watch it again tonight.

Exactly.  I am not a Whedon fan at all but that is exactly what these guys were doing.  Rewarding horror fans who have stuck around after all these years.  Horror has straight up changed since the late 70s and 80s.  These last couple decades a huge percent of horror has been serious horror, and an even bigger percent has just been lousy.  Whedon gave us a campy/horror movie that we have been craving. We got it with Grindhouse back in 2007, Scream 4 was nice, but horror/camp was a dime a dozen in the 80s.  Nowadays you have to watch independent horror films to find ones that might have a good sense of humor to go along with the scares. Even the films like the original Nightmare on Elm St. has a little camp to it on certain scenes.  Horror takes itself way too seriously these days.

Last edited by ExplorerPOD (2012-09-27 15:25:27)

I haven't seen a lot of Whedon's stuff.  A few first-season episodes of Buffy (enh, though I hear the show gets better as it goes along) and the original Buffy movie with Kristy Swanson.  I've heard Firefly was really good but have never seen a single episode of it.  And obviously The Avengers, which I AM a big fan of.

But his involvement had nothing to do with my enjoying of Cabin in the Woods.  It appealed to me as a horror writer, and I see it as a metaphor for the inside workings of a horror writer's mind, how he manipulates his characters into doing things more intelligent, realistic characters would never do, that kind of thing.  Plus I really enjoyed the back-and-forth between Richard Jenkins and Brad Cooper, two very capable actors who almost never seem to get their due.

As I mentioned I loved it the first time I saw it but realized its many weaknesses on repeated viewings, but I still enjoy it for what it is -- a horror film which refuses to be confined by horror film rules.  I do think it gets more than a little over-ripe at the end, but it's still a fun little watch IMO.

I sent the other half out to get crisps yesterday and not only did he take 2 freeking hours he got nick nacks which do not have one single spud in them (translations from pissed off brit to normal english available on request). Yelled at him was arsey and he pulls out Cabin in the woods with the cool 3D box.... Needless to say, the potato vs corn shite argument was over! Gonna watch it with the commentary big_smile

So you're saying you sent him out to get potato chips, and not only did he take two hours but he got corn chips instead, which don't have a single potato in them.

Bam.  Nailed it.

LoudLon wrote:

So you're saying you sent him out to get potato chips, and not only did he take two hours but he got corn chips instead, which don't have a single potato in them.

Bam.  Nailed it.

Taught you well Sir Lonny!

Interesting takes on Cabin.  It seems those who didn't like it was because the cast/crew thought they did a great job, it was overhyped, and because Whedon wrote it.  And the ending.

I can see criticism of the ending (to each his own), but downgrade a film because those involved were proud of their work, the media went nuts over a film, and blaming a writer for his previous successes?

I tend to review a movie on what is put on the screen.  I found the 3-layered plot to be more original than any other mainstream horror film released it a while, but I agree with Lon that once you see all the twists the first time, it doesn't have the same impact in future viewings.  A lot of my enjoyment came from the "what the heck is going on" aspect.

I liked it, but i wouldn't say it's the best or groundbreaking. The best part was when she hits the red button and all the monsters kill everyone, especially the unicorn and the clown.

I picked it up on Blu-ray, and hadn't seen it before in theatres. Many of my friends had, and everyone agreed it was a damn good movie, and I generally trust their tastes in horror movies. So I picked it up blind, with little knowledge of the plot of the movie. And I really loved it. It worked more like a black comedy in the shell of a horror movie. Sort of Truman Show meets Cube with tons of horror movie references. It sort of felt like a tribute tot he fans of horror cinema.

Edit: I wanted to add, I loved the ending. How else could it have ended?

Last edited by Theli (2012-10-01 03:14:04)

@jrs- loved the unicorn!  "Hi, I'm a unicorn and fart rainbows" and blam!

@Theli- Total Lovecraftian ending.  Some here are not pleased with it, but it was so "Ah, sheeit"   Oh, you should stop by the Introduce Yourself thread to say hi.  Don't have to, just a convenient way for everyone to see who has come aboard.  Hope you have fun here.  big_smile

Last edited by azathoth (2012-10-01 03:45:22)

Yea the ending is great.  A giant fucking hand coming out of the ground and smashes the world.  Everything hit perfectly including the stoner smoking his last joint with the girl at the very end.  This movie is nothing more than just a very well done Horror/comedy.  Considering that great Horror/comedy is few and far between these days, people are really geeked about Cabin in the Woods.  It isn't my favorite movie ever, but it is definitely one of my favorite modern mainstream horror movies. 

Scream, Grindhouse, Scream 4, Prometheus, Cabin in the Woods, and The Hole(2009).

Drag me to Hell was good, House of the Devil, The Innkeepers, Attack the Block, My Soul to Take, Hatchet.  It seems like MOST of the horror films I end up liking these days are the ones that are trying to funny in the sense that they are aware of what films they are paying homage to.  They all have a little bit of throwback quality to them.

I like plenty other independent and mainstream horror films but these are the ones from the last 15 or so years that I truly love in the same way I love movies like Nightmare on Elm St from 1984.

azathoth wrote:

@Theli- Total Lovecraftian ending.  Some here are not pleased with it, but it was so "Ah, sheeit"

Spoilers:

No doubt. I was watching it, and everytime they refered to satisfying the people upstairs or whatever, I kept assuming it was just a random government experiment (the norm for most newer horror movies) but the reference to the ancient ones just made too much damn sense. I couldn't help but laugh. Who else could be able to control so many terrifying creatures? And who else could be so evil? The movie needed an over the top apocalyptic ending, it was the best way to cap it off.

Last edited by Theli (2012-10-01 14:00:41)

Wow this movie is definitely a touchy subject on here lol. I have been waiting to read all these posts until I saw the movie. I loved it. Loved the humor, loved the horror. I would really love it if they went more into all the different horror creatures. The elevator scene was definitely my favorite.  Although I was sad because I didn't see a vampire which is my favorite monster, but I might have missed it.

I do have to agree I was disappointed with the ending. They are supposed to be these dark gods from before time was remembered and all it is is a giant fist??? Really??? Charlie brown in his ghost costume is more frightening.

As far as it being some great new movie that's gonna change the game. Hell NO! It was funny and different, but nothing too special.

Never knew that Heather Langenkamp (Nancy in the  NOES movies and part of my avatar) is now doing special makeup effects with her husband and was involved behind the scenes in Cabin in the woods. She should have done a cameo in the movie.

Last edited by fmvgamer (2012-10-02 09:04:24)