Topic: Broadcast TV!

Just had to pout to people here who will understand what I'm going through.

For years we had cable.  From movie channels to basic to really basic.  I talked my wife into ditching it.  We need the money elsewhere, and I'm sure some will agree its expensive.  Still...there's some great programs. 

First we got rid of the movie channels so there went True Blood (my at that point favorite show, and yes, I'm a guy.  smile  Plus this was about season three when the show was still really good).

That was ok.  Still had extended basic and could get things like ID and Bio channel...my favorite channels at the time.  Till we cut that.

Well...ok.  Still get Walking Dead, and American Horror Story, ESPN, news channels, Discovery and TLC.

Well....we moved, and decided to ditch those too...and just not get cable hooked up.  My call really, and I think I made the good call for my family.  We still got internet, Netflix and...Broadcast TV!  Which, comes in really good to my surprise (bout 14 channels), even with some old radio antennas I had laying around hooked up to the TV. 

So, I figure I can manage.

Now, its Halloween season.  All I read about is Fearfest, Walking Dead, AHS...and...I feel so left out!  sad 

Man, I'd watch hours and hours of Fearfest.  Break in the week of Halloween with it, and get depressed as I was watching it as Halloween went by.

So...thanks for letting me pout a bit.  Guess I'll be left out of a lotta Threads here, but will still try to see stuff on Flix and throw in my favorite Halloween movie...Trick R Treat!  Plus our other family Halloween movie traditions...Rocky Horror and 28 Days Later.  smile

Re: Broadcast TV!

I've been without cable or TV of any kind for a couple of months now; same situation, finances are too tight, had to make some painful cutbacks.  However, the internet is handy for more than just scouring the web in hopeless search a Tina Fey nipple slip.  I've been relying on torrents until I've got enough flow that I can afford to get cable hooked back up.  It often means having to wait until the day after a show has aired before I can see it (though typically most shows are uploaded within an hour or two after airing).  But at least I'm still getting to watch my shows, plus the uploaders usually edit out the commercials.

It's not ideal; nobody uploads news programs, and I've had to rely on uploads of new Daily Shows and Colbert Reports for current topics LOL --  but at least it's something.

^^
You know there are newspaper websites for news, yes?  tongue

We don't have cable either. Haven't had it for more than two years. We did get an HD antenna so we're able to get the free broadcast channels like ABC, NBC, CBS, CW about twenty more. Granted , almost half those channels are in Spanish, but at least it's something. We download the shows we miss from cable or catch them online the day after they air. It's not ideal, but cable here isn't cheap and we only have one option other than satellite which is a horrible option with the way the weather is in Florida.

My husband misses the DVR, Spike, FX and Monday Night Football. I miss Chiller, Fear and catching Sons on the night it airs. We manage though.

I completely understand, things are just getting so expensive and I don't know where these companies think extra money will come from.  Most places are seeing members drop like flies.  Hopefully something will happen where it will be affordable once more.  No one should be without channels to properly watch horror movies.

For football, not for the next 10 years- NFL just signed a $9 BILLION a year deal with the various channels.  Then ESPN signed a mutli-billion deal with the SEC, MLB I don't know, NBA just got a new deal last year I think.

As for the non-sport channels, stop putting crap on all the time and maybe I'll watch it.  People who watch sit-coms are probably the same people that watch all that TLC crap, like Catfish Hunters and Honey Boo Boo.  I don't care if all it costs is a bottle of Jack Daniels and some pot to make those shows- they're crap.

I so agree. I'm sick to death of reality television. It's so rare to see something on that's actually worth watching which is why I don't miss it too much. I have a decent amount of movies on DVD.  Better than surfing through 500 channels of shit I don't want to watch.

The one new show I'm looking forward to is Last Resort (Thursdays, 8pm, for now, on ABC).  From what I get, there is an illegal order for a nuke sub to fire on Pakistan, they refuse, and then the US fires on them.  They then tell the US to back off or they will fire on them.

A lot of the reason I'm waiting to see this is I'm a big Andre Brougher fan.  Castle and Haven are back, but they aren't new, and nothing else has peaked my interest.

I don't think there's anything new in the Fall line-up I'm actually looking forward to. Other than TWD, Supernatural, Sons of Anarchy and Game of Thrones, most of what I like comes from the UK - Sherlock, Whitechapel, Misfits, Being Human, Luther...

azathoth wrote:

^^
You know there are newspaper websites for news, yes?  tongue

Yeah, but it's just not the same.  Especially when it comes to reporting political news.  I miss CNN and US News & World Report. hmm

The only political news I get is through the Daily Show online lol

Did you guys catch the new season of Two and a Half Men? I have to say, this new season is beginning to look awful. The first episode was just so bad.

I've only ever seen one episode of Two and a Half Men, one time last year, and it did absolutely nothing for me.  Haven't bothered with it since. hmm

Ms.Gorefiend wrote:

The only political news I get is through the Daily Show online lol

Same here.  Except not online, I just wait 'til midnight after new episodes have aired and DL the show itself.  That and the Colbert Report.  But as much as I love both those shows, and I do, I do still miss the "legit" news shows.  And I don't mean GOP-leaning crap like Hannity & Colmes or the ridiculously inane and one-sided Fox News.  I'm talking the good stuff like CBS Nightly News and that kind of thing.  But like I said, nobody ever uploads that stuff.

And it's funny because up until a couple years ago I never gave a squat about the news.  But now, I like knowing what's going on in the world.  Must be a "40s" thing. hmm

i really don't miss it at all (although the dumbasses at the cable company still haven't disconnected me yet and they were supposed to 6 weeks ago) i still get to see all my favourite shows ncis, ncis la, sons of guns, dexter, walking dead, 2 broke girls and some that don't come to mind right now. Most of tv is crap anyways so i'll save my money for other things that are more important to me.