Re: DirtyGirl's Horror Movie A Day Challenge

Day 296-

The Craft- 7/10 Rewatch Dvd

There is something about this movie that I like.  And I usually watch it this time of year.

Day 297-

Dracula 1931- 10/10 Rewatch Dvd

dirtygirl bring it on..... bring sum of your horror to my shack...

please tongue

I cant go lookin back 100s of days just bring you and a couple of favs , ok?

Sounds good to me Demon...  You're in cottage country aren't you?   Is it pretty there this time of year?

Day  298-

Frankenstein- 10/10 Rewatch DVD
In the mood for some classics!

Sep 19 - It's Alive: Unrated (2008) - For new mom Lenore, maternal bliss turns to horror when she realizes that her bundle of joy is a blood thirsty monster that kills when scared.  A decent enough remake or reimagining, though the baby is hardly shown in the film.  And when it is, it is ususally CG and poorly done.  It has some nice tension at times, like the basement scene that is very similar to the original, and some nice grue, but across the board, the acting is pretty wooden and uninspired.  It might not have the same effect today, but the original has stuck with me since it really creeped me out when I watched it as a kid.  The remake just couldn't live up to that.  2.5/5.  First Watch.

Day 299- 

Exit Humanity- 6/10 First Watch Blu

Now this is a slow one folks!   The writing was good and the cast was excellent, I just wish they had a bigger budget for more action.

Sep 20 - Below Zero (2011) - Suffering from writer's block and desperate to meet a career saving deadline, once sucessful screen writer Jack the Hack agrees to be locked in an abandoned meat locker to eliminate all distractions and finish a screen play for his agent.  But as the temperature drops, the lines between reality and fiction begin to blur.  Starts out slow and boring, then gets a little interesting, then kind of goes all over the place.  Edward Furlong actually does a decent job in this one, and I liked how it ended, but overall it was pretty mediocre.  2/5.  First watch.

Day 300-

Witchboard- 5/10 Rewatch Dvd

Tawny Kitaen finds a oijja board and an evil ghost with it...   http://youtu.be/9F83ksQv29g

I thought Witchboard was actually quite good, especially for a low-budget b-flick from 1986 with a cast of mostly unknowns.  Kitaen wouldn't really become a name until a year later courtesy of Whitesnake, and the only actor with any level of actual celebrity in the flick was Steven Nichols, whose role of Patch on Days of Our Lives was quite popular back in those days.  I think it's easily the best film by writer/director Kevin Tenney, who has a bad habit of coming up with interesting ideas and then doing absolutely nothing with them. 

I'd give Witchboard a 7/10, though I'm fully aware my grading process differs vastly from the majority's. lol

I agree with Lon on the original Witchboard, it's just that the sequels stink and people also get it confused with the dozen or so Witchcraft series' movies.

LoudLon wrote:

I thought Witchboard was actually quite good, especially for a low-budget b-flick from 1986 with a cast of mostly unknowns.  Kitaen wouldn't really become a name until a year later courtesy of Whitesnake, and the only actor with any level of actual celebrity in the flick was Steven Nichols, whose role of Patch on Days of Our Lives was quite popular back in those days.  I think it's easily the best film by writer/director Kevin Tenney, who has a bad habit of coming up with interesting ideas and then doing absolutely nothing with them. 

I'd give Witchboard a 7/10, though I'm fully aware my grading process differs vastly from the majority's. lol

wow!  I don't think I have ever seen you go that high!  Don't get me wrong, I liked it quite a bit and even own the Dvd smile

And if that's not enough, I just gave A Perfect Getaway a 7/10, too. lol

My horror movie of the day is going to be, gonna watch it in a little bit, The Town That Dreaded Sundown!!

Day 301-

Snow White and the Huntsman- 6/10 first watch

The best thing about this movie is Charlize Theron playing the evil witch.  Beautiful to watch but it was a little slow sometimes.

Day 302-

Halloween 1 and 2 (orig)

Sep 22 - Hideaway (1995) - After dying in a car accident, Hatch is brought back to life by a briliant doctor.  Soon after, he begins to have haunting visions of a killer stalking young women in his area.  Definitely not one of Jeff Goldblum's stronger performances.  Just okay.  2.5/5.  First watch.

Sep 23 - Madhouse (1974) - Once a horror icon, Paul Toombes returns from years in isolation to play his signature role in a new British TV series.  But when cast and crew members of the show begin to turn up dead, seemingly at the hands of his character, Paul is left to wonder if he or his alter ego are somehow responsible.  It is always great to see Vincent Price and Peter Cushing, and I enjoyed the cameos and scenes from other films, but the rest was nothing really special.  3/5.  First watch.

Madhouse was pretty good. 

Day 303-

Cabin in the Woods

^Yeah, it was pretty good DG.  Next up is Theater of Blood.

Sep 24 - Crowsnest (2012) - Five friends set out on one last road trip for the summer, heading to Kirk's parents remote vacation home to party.  They never made it.  The video they left behind shows their final hours as they are stalked and murdered by nomadic cannibals in a large RV.  Starts out with your standard found footage formula, a group of friends on a road trip, one of them an annoying douchebag with a video camera who insists on recording everything, slow and boring buildup as we are supposed to get to know the characters, then a lot of yelling and overreaction when the shit starts to hit the fan.  Think Wrong Turn does found footage in a RV.  The insertion of the RV and Cannibals in the plot helps to differentiate it a bit from a lot of the other FF stuff out there, and it does end up having some good tension filled moments.  An entertaining watch, but nothing special.  3/5.  First watch.

Sep 25 - Theatre of Blood (1973) - A Shakespearean actor takes revenge on the critics circle who humiliated him and denied him recognition for his work, killing each of the members according to one of Shakepear's plays.  I can remember seeing this one as a kid and not caring much for it, but I rather enjoyed it this time around.  3.5/5.  Rewatch.

Day 304 (yesterday)-

Watched Cabin in the Woods again with the commentary on.  It was really entertaining to listen to Joss Whedon and Drew Goddard.

Sep 26 - Megan is Missing (2011) - A fictional story, supposedly based on actual events, about two teenage girls who encounter, and are eventually abducted by an internet predator.  Like many other films in this sub-genre, the slow build up, poor acting and annoying characters, in this case particularly annoying teenage girls, detract from the film.  But there is no denying that the last 20 minutes or so of the film are some of the most horrific that I have witnessed.  As a father, it was difficult to sit through.  Not a great film, but one that will stick with me for a long time.  3/5.  First watch.

Day 305-

Satan's Little Helper

Day 306-

The Devil Rides Out

Didn't have internet for a few days so I have to catch up:

Day 307-  Texas Chainsaw Massacre remake version

Day 308-  Texas Chainsaw Massacre  Original version

Day 309-  Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2-  Chop Top has got be one of the best Horror characters of all time!

Sep 27 - Sound of my Voice (2011) 3.5/5.  First watch.

Sep 28 - Chained (2012) 3.5/5.  First watch.

Sep 29 - House of Voices 3.5/5.  First watch.

Sep 29 - Tormented (2009) 3.5/5.  Rewatch.

Sep 30 - Elfie Hopkins (2012) 3/5.  First watch.

Last edited by alien25 (2012-10-02 12:51:09)