Re: What do you think is the worst remake?

Are you guys done acting like 10 year olds? Jeez, I'm not trying to be a dick but opinions are like asses, we all have them and they all stink.

...that's my entire point, and to respect others.

flamethrower wrote:

P.S.   I like to troll people who troll first wink

I've now read through this entire thread twice to see who had trolled you, and until you started calling people wrong, nobody said a harsh word to you.  Expressing a preference for a movie is not trolling; haranging people who disagree with you simply because they disagree with you -- that is trolling, and that is what you are doing every time you bust someone's chops who doesn't agree with you that whatever movie is the best thing since sliced bread.  You even gave me lip for liking a remake when I haven't even seen the original film yet. 

An opinion, by its very definition, is not a fact.  It is a preference; a preference is subjective, depending on a person's personal tastes.  As such, an opinion cannot be wrong.  Yours is no more right or wrong than anyone else's, yet you keep insisting it's the best and only opinion to have, and you're giving people flack for disagreeing with you.

So, consider this a warning from a MOD who has already explained to you that here, we respect one another's opinions even if we disagree with them.  The #1 rule on these boards is RESPECT.  We mods have been trusted to enforce that rule, and you can rest assured that we will.

So, learn to play well with others, or go play someplace else.  Conversation over.

The thread is "What do you think is the worst remake? " So I said mine with good arguments,but saying in disguised form that REC "is trash" is such a foolishness and trolling that I haven't seen a long time.That encouraged me and produced effect like that and I'm sorry if anyone is offended.I  have just tried to change someones taste which is different and wrong imo.I only wanted to point out that people's opinion here in this boards very differs from the rest and that they hate wrong stuff in this thread.

Last edited by flamethrower (2012-09-26 17:05:59)

Wow, you guys crack me up.  It's this kind of nonsense that stopped me posting for a long while.  I'm sorry to see that it hasn't changed.

There are some good examples of disappointing "remakes" out there.  It seems like it's just the title that is the only thing in common with the original most times out, but the body of the movie has nothing to do with the original.  Day of the Dead had soldiers and zombies, that's where the similarities ended for me.  Mother's Day, I don't think of that as a remake because it was nothing to do with the original, just same title, again.  The list goes on...

At the end of the day, I just want a good horror movie.  If it's a good remake, bonus!  If not, I try to enjoy the storytelling, after all, I choose to devote a good part of my time (some think its a little too much time, lol) to this genre, and I don't want my preconceived prejudices to get in the way.

Last edited by LivingDeadDoll (2012-09-26 17:25:01)

^
I assure it doesn't get so silly very often.

The expression "One man's trash is another man's treasure" has no disguised meaning.  The phrase itself is an allegory for the fact that what one person may love, another person may despise.  It's not an insult, and shouldn't be seen as such.   

flamethrower wrote:

I only wanted to point out that people's opinion here in this boards very differs from the rest and that they hate wrong stuff in this thread.

But see, that's what's pissing people off.  You can't force someone to like something they don't like.  Say for instance that you hate pizza.  How would you feel if someone berated you for being wrong, it's the best thing in the world, while trying to shove a slice down your throat?  Wouldn't that anger you, as well?  That's what has happened here.

Nobody here was telling you that you were wrong for liking the movie.  They were expressing their displeasurewith you telling them that they were wrong for not liking it.  But as I said, there's no such thing as a right opinion or a wrong opinion.  There are only opinions.

I'm going to give you a piece of advise which has served me very well: 

You cannot control what another person says, thinks or does.  You can only control what YOU say, think or do.  So the next time you find yourself in a disagreement, just accept that you aren't going to change the other person's mind, and appreciate and respect why they feel the way they do.  Afterall, they came to their conclusion the same way you did -- as a matter of personal taste.

Now how's about we all laugh this off and get back to respectfully discussing horror movies. smile

Oh, and LivingDeadDoll -- don't let the fact that this kind of thing still happens occasionally keep you away.  I assure you, it doesn't happen NEAR as much as it used to and when it does, we're all over it. smile

Nah, I like you sickos too much.  Keeps me coming back!  Besides, I don't scare easily, that's part of the problem, there's never enough scary for me! Lol

Last edited by LivingDeadDoll (2012-09-26 17:48:10)

Slightly off topic here, but in my opinion one of the best remakes (that has been released) is The Hills Have Eyes. It's just done way better than the original, the original is very enjoyable and good for it's own reasons - but the remake expands on things and one of the best aspects, has a better cast. The cast in the remake is just way better to me personally.

I know it's about the worst remakes but hey why not mention a good one? lol

Also: I have over 600 posts now! smile

LoudLon wrote:

The expression "One man's trash is another man's treasure" has no disguised meaning.  The phrase itself is an allegory for the fact that what one person may love, another person may despise.  It's not an insult, and shouldn't be seen as such.

I must correct you.Goon expressed it differently.I 've said recently that I consider it the best horror of the last decade and the masterpiece,then Goon responded : ,,One persons masterpiece is another persons trash." so I was offended.Maybe misunderstanding and once again I'm sorry if I was too offensive and harsh.

Last edited by flamethrower (2012-09-26 17:49:29)

Hills Have Eyes remake - loved that one!  Haven't seen a guy take a beating like that since the Evil Dead movies.  "Ash-whoopin's", I call 'em!

Last edited by LivingDeadDoll (2012-09-26 17:53:06)

I loved The Hills Have Eyes remake. IMO, much better than the original. This thread inspired me to attempt to watch the Prom Night remake. Notice I said attempt. All I can say is you guys are so right. It tops The Fog and Black Christmas for worst. I couldn't make it all the way through. Total train wreck.

^ I'm going to have to re-watch the Prom Night remake again to form a full opinion on it, I can barely even remember it.

...that's a bad sign on it's own, huh? lol

Ms.Gorefiend wrote:

It tops The Fog and Black Christmas for worst.

Cinematography in the Black Christmas remake is great,really nice shot movie,holiday atmosphere is on the higher level than the original and one of the slashers with the best kills in the recent history http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/legacy/images/smilies/pirate.gif ; also a lot of fun and entertainment,like carrying the body in the Santa's bag big_smile

I really liked the Hills have Eyes remake as well, the remake of The Hills have Eyes 2, not so much.

flamethrower wrote:

Cinematography in the Black Christmas remake is great,really nice shot movie,holiday atmosphere is on the higher level than the original and one of the slashers with the best kills in the recent history http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/legacy/images/smilies/pirate.gif ; also a lot of fun and entertainment,like carrying the body in the Santa's bag big_smile

I'm glad you enjoyed it. I thought the remake was awful, but I'm a huge fan of the original.

flamethrower wrote:

I must correct you.Goon expressed it differently.I 've said recently that I consider it the best horror of the last decade and the masterpiece,then Goon responded : ,,One persons masterpiece is another persons trash." so I was offended.Maybe misunderstanding and once again I'm sorry if I was too offensive and harsh.

Yeah, it was just a misunderstanding.  Like I said, that's a pretty common expression and it's just meant to express a difference in taste, not to be an insult. smile

Scavenger -- I'm right there with ya.  I dig Craven's original pretty well but I liked how the remake upped the violence and was better directed and photographed.

Ms. G -- I loathed the Prom Night remake.  I'm not a HUGE fan of the original but then I didn't hate it either, but I thought the remake was the most watered-down, bland and scare-less tripe I'd seen in quite some time.  But what did I expect?  It was PG-13.  Which I don't think has a place in horror, a genre whose main purpose is to scare and disturb.

I honestly never thought the original Prom Night was that good to begin with, it's a decent movie, but I can't see it being much more in my opinion. I thought the back story was quite cool but there's not much there.

Ms.Gorefiend wrote:

I loved The Hills Have Eyes remake. IMO, much better than the original. This thread inspired me to attempt to watch the Prom Night remake. Notice I said attempt. All I can say is you guys are so right. It tops The Fog and Black Christmas for worst. I couldn't make it all the way through. Total train wreck.

I completely agree. The hills have eyes remake was BETTER then the first one.

I avoided a lot of the top tier crap from my friends' reviews. So I never saw Black XMas (even the name gets a downgrade). The Fog on the other hand I did check out by accident when I bought it for $5 thinking it was the original (it had a similar cover, and apparently I'm too stupid or lazy too look at the back). What a waste of time and money that was. I had a hard time giving that movie away. Loved the original too.

The preview for Prom Night was so grotesquely horrible I had to skip it, as did everyone I know. I thought the original was pretty weak sauce too. The sequel was bad ass though.

Last edited by Theli (2012-10-01 14:06:42)

flamethrower wrote:

Dude you read to much into things.. It is an expression.. If you actually read what I said before that I never trashed REC.. I like that film quite a bit. It wasn't meant to be a literal interpretation of REC vs Quarantine.. Not everyone is out to get you..

Yikes, I missed a bunch of stuff here.

The "masterpiece vs. trash" comment has been around for... since Shakespeare, at least. 

That's why we're here, to discuss films, argue with each other about them.  If I got offended by everyone that disagreed with me, I would be flinging a lot of poo.

Opinions are opinions, and everyone has different ones.  So let's all chill with some nice raspberry green tea, yes?

So many to name Black Christmas, Psycho, Prom Night, Nightmare On Elm St., The Fog ect..

Out of all of them I would say Prom Night and Black Christmas are the absolute worst of the remakes. The Black Christmas remake looked like they tried doing everything possible to make the film a piece of garbage, they gave Billy the most ridiculous backstory I have ever heard.

I liked the Texas Chainsaw Massacre remake... It honestly wasn't that bad. I had a lotta fun with it. But if I had to go with a truly terrible remake, well... the one shitty remake to rule them all: The Wicker Man.