Topic: More excited for Walking Dead or American Horror Story:Asylum

SPOILERS

Originally I wasn't huge on Walking Dead.  I still feel that Walking Dead is nothing more than all of Romero's ideas just expanded.  This new season really seems like it is going to be loosely based on Day of the Dead as far as the setting and the "fear the living" theme is concerned.  Last season I fell in love with the show.  Mainly it was the character of Shane that got me hooked.  He was far and away the best actor on that show last year and I fear that he will be missed a little bit this year.  Luckily though we've got RICK GRIMES, and I have a feeling he is going to hone a little of Shanes spirit in this next season if that makes any sense.

American Horror Story kicked off last year and it was really on another level of scary.  Not only that, but it is just about the smartest show on TV.  I figured out that not only Tate was dead immediately(which wasn't too hard to figure out) but I also was certain that Violet was dead after her supposed almost suicide.  Watching that play out was just as good as it gets.  Also her mother dying and being able to join her daughter was an incredible moment. 

Both of these are taking place in a similar setting this year, though the atmospheres I'm sure will be completely different.  Which one are you most looking forward to?

Re: More excited for Walking Dead or American Horror Story:Asylum

Walking Dead! I have to admit, I gave up on AHS last season.

Definitely The Walking Dead.  AHS started off so damned scattershot and all over the place and took over half the season to finally start pulling things together.  When it finally did it was really good, but that's still a waste of half a season.  Also, season two is supposedly going to be in a different setting with different characters.  I didn't invest thirteen hours into the plights of Connie Britton and Dylan McDermott and their daughter just to never see them again.  Silliness.

TWD, on the other hand, has been exemplary from the very first episode.  Lots of folks complained about how slow the first half of the second season was, but that first half was far from empty; it was laying groundwork, establishing situations which would pay off later.  If I have any complaint about TWD so far it's that I'm a bit concerned for next season.  With the introduction of this Michon character, armed with a samurai sword and going around with her own pet zombies, I fear the show may take on more of a "comic book" type feel.  And while I'm aware it's based on a comic book (which I've never read) the show itself has soundly grounded itself more in reality, with an emphasis on character and suspense.  I hope it doesn't become just a splattery action show.  We'll see.

The Walking Dead ofc.

LoudLon wrote:

Definitely The Walking Dead.  AHS started off so damned scattershot and all over the place and took over half the season to finally start pulling things together.  When it finally did it was really good, but that's still a waste of half a season.  Also, season two is supposedly going to be in a different setting with different characters.  I didn't invest thirteen hours into the plights of Connie Britton and Dylan McDermott and their daughter just to never see them again.  Silliness.

TWD, on the other hand, has been exemplary from the very first episode.  Lots of folks complained about how slow the first half of the second season was, but that first half was far from empty; it was laying groundwork, establishing situations which would pay off later.  If I have any complaint about TWD so far it's that I'm a bit concerned for next season.  With the introduction of this Michon character, armed with a samurai sword and going around with her own pet zombies, I fear the show may take on more of a "comic book" type feel.  And while I'm aware it's based on a comic book (which I've never read) the show itself has soundly grounded itself more in reality, with an emphasis on character and suspense.  I hope it doesn't become just a splattery action show.  We'll see.

Some of the first few episodes were the seasons best though so I can't quite agree with what you say about AHS.  I think the originality of the show outweighs the Walking Dead big time, but there is something about the Walking Dead that is just in your face and awesome.  Love both shows and I am probably a little bit more excited for Walking Dead, but in my opinion American Horror Story is the smarter show.  There is not a single idea in the Walking Dead that isn't in Romero's original trilogy, but as I said, the Walking Dead is so damn awesome it doesn't really matter.

Last edited by ExplorerPOD (2012-09-11 11:05:46)

If TWD season 3 is anything like TWD comics (which it probably won't be, considering the show doesn't follow a direct path of the comic) it would be really amazing. The stuff that happens in the prison is batsh*t insane! I'm looking forward more to TWD.

TWD! I watched just 2 episodes of AHS and didn't care for it.

Walking Dead would not miss it, but American Horror is slick, different and unsettling I cant wait till it comes back on, those are the two I watch consistently and Breaking Bad.

TWD for sure.. American Horror Story is OK.. I almost stopped watching it. The end had a nice twist but TWD has been solid all the way though..

The third season is going to be bad ass. If they stick to some of the comic books plot like they have been it will be a great season.

The Walking Dead is the best show on television period. I honestly didn't even hear about the other show till now, but will give it a shot!

TWD though, man I could talk about it all day. Hopefully you guys read the comics as well as they are a special treat of their own.

I'm amusing the hell out of my family, between Walking Dead, American Horror Story: Asylum, and Dexter, it's gonna be a good October!

Ms.Gorefiend wrote:

Walking Dead! I have to admit, I gave up on AHS last season.

Me too. It was the one with the illegal abortions. It felt like the entire thing was there to shock me for no real reason other than to, well, shock me! It was like, throw in some illegal abortions and some shagging and the horror fans will lap it up. I am looking forward to the new one though, looks far better.

Walking dead I keep meaning to watch from the beginning but never quite get round to it. hmm I'm not a great zombie lover though.

The Walking Dead is totally worth it, UV.  You don't have to be a big zombie fan, because for the most part the zombies are more like background characters.  They're there, ever-present, but they're far from the main focus of the show.  Rather, it's more about the the drama and the conflict between the human survivors as they struggle to find safety in a new, infinitely more dangerous world.  I promise, you won't be disappointed. smile

I've read about half of the Walking Dead comic series, which is brilliant, and the show is great, so yeah - pumped for the upcoming stuff they'll be showing in season 3!

Underdog wrote:

TWD! I watched just 2 episodes of AHS and didn't care for it.

You'll have to do what Lon did- plow through the first 5 episodes to get to the good stuff.

Since I have no idea where AHS is going, and I have a some inkling was to where WD is going, I have to go with WD.  But who knows, AHS might just go nuts...

We'll see.

I love The Walking Dead but American Horror Story has me gripped more

I got 3 or 4 eps into AHS and I turned it off. I just got horrendously bored and the "shocks" were just so forced to me. Maybe I need to give it another try but it'll be my 3rd attempt at it hmm

Thanks for that Lonny smile I dunno how I managed to miss it really. I'll see if I can grab a copy of the first season on dvd from blockbusters and give it a shot. Can't say I've heard much bad about it.

Accidently double posted oops! Mod delete?

Last edited by UltraViolence (2012-09-28 13:34:16)

UltraViolence wrote:

I got 3 or 4 eps into AHS and I turned it off. I just got horrendously bored and the "shocks" were just so forced to me. Maybe I need to give it another try but it'll be my 3rd attempt at it hmm

I personally feel it got amazing towards the middle and up to the second to last episode.  If you have the time, give it another shot, I think you'll like it.

Yeah I probably will, but won't be hurrying to. Really have been let down by the first few. It's supposed to grab you right away but wait until middle to last episodes!

LOL haha, that's awesome.  Yeah, the first few and last episode really just felt rushed and like they had corporate expectations.  With them scrapping most of what happened in season 1 going into 2, I have hopes for it. 

Walking Dead, on the other hand, is using stuff from the comics/graphic novels so that makes me happy.  Either way, good TV is upon us!

I am much more excited for The Walking Dead Season 3 than American Horror Story:  Asylum.  I was enjoying AHS until everyone started becoming ghosts and it became a big soap opera on the other side.  It was just too much and took away from the mystery and horror aspects by bringing nearly every character into that realm.  I really dislike where they went with it.  It's like they HAD to move the action out of the house to get any more mileage out of the concept.  I'm hopeful that AHS:  Asylum will be better, but I'm not holding my breath.

I am super stoked for Dexter Season 7 tonight though!  Love that show.

Ooh, thanks for reminding me.  I've been walking around all day thinking that there was something about tonight that I was supposed to remember but damned if I could.  That was it!