Topic: The Hole Directed by Joe Dante

Has anyone seen this?

It was made way back in 2009 and is getting released in select cities.  Sitting at 84 percent on rotten tomatoes and a ton of critics are saying fans of Dante's other work like Gremlins, will enjoy this one.  An 80s throwback if you will.

It isn't playing at the theater in my town or else I would go tonight.  I almost all of Joe Dante's films.  Thinking about buying it on Amazon for 12 dollars.

Re: The Hole Directed by Joe Dante

It's a fun watch, nothing more - nothing less. It's not scary either, because it's aimed at a younger audience but I still enjoyed it for what it was.

I'm a big fan of this, it's a kids horror but that needn't be a negative thing. Dante pulls out all his usual mischievious tropes and nods his head at many of his previous films, as well as as many other directors. It's a horror for tweens but that didn't stop me from loving it. In short it's 'The Gate' lite.
Dante is supreme in toying with the horror scene and this is like Gremlins - just a fun rollercoater family oriented horror ride that will appeal to all - young or old.
9/10.

Last edited by Fulcento (2012-09-29 16:16:28)

100 percent truth.  I love all of his movies for so many reason.  I love how he always has a scene with his characters watching telelvision, usually watching similar stuff to what Dante is paying Homage to.  I love how there is Fog in almost every one of his films.  Explorers being his ode to Sci Fi, Gremlins being his homage to monster flicks, Piranha and Howling paying tribute to films like Jaws and the Werewolf Genre.  Matinee, the Burbs.   Can't wait to see the Hole and I definitely love the family style horror that Hollywood has decided to abandon.

Just watched this and really enjoyed it.  Completely unique in the sense that they just don't make em like this anymore.  Horror without gore.  A fun, family oriented horror that paid homage to so many great horror films before it.  Nothing completely special but I can see why it is getting good reviews.  Being a huge fan of 80s horror this movie did it for me.

Also loved seeing Dick Miller as the Pizza guy.  He is in almost every one of Dante's films as some side character, but normally has more than the one scene he had in this one.  Still great though.

Last edited by ExplorerPOD (2012-09-30 22:00:24)

Haven't seen this, but am interested now.

I love all the support for 80's kid friendly horror / scares.

definitely check this out if you are into movies like The Gate, Monster Squad, Poltergeist, Child's Play and all the rest of the greatness from the 80s.

This sounds right up my alley.  Thanks for the recommendation, guys!

I need to check this one out! Joe Dante's movies are always fun.

Great movie. I really liked it and the clown was very cool.

I agree. I thought it was a really fun movie, and yeah, the clown doll is amazing.

I never seen this movie, I didn't really think it looked all that good!  ,  I Remember seeing TV spot and 7:30am,

It was a decent family friendly ghost/supernatural movie. The acting of the older brother was pretty bad most of the time. It ranks low on his movie totem imo.