Topic: Kill List (2011)

So, I had been reading all these reviews about how Kill List was this crime film that took a frighteningly nightmarish turn for the worse that would stick with me long after it was over.   Well, it was definitely a genre mash-up, but it was not everything the reviews have been making it out to be.

The story concerns a former soldier turned hitman who reluctantly teams back up with his former comrade and partner-in-crime to take out three targets for some good money.  Afer a boring first third, things finally got under way.  The first job is... strange, but it's the second where things get interesting and very disturbing in its implications.  It was at this point that I felt that the film had reached the point of no return in its brutality, but I was deceived.  After yet another lull, it does indeed take a turn towards the bizarre, but also loses much of the steam that was built in the middle.  I guess it could be scary, depending on who you are, but I thought it felt a bit forced - like it was being weird for the sake of being weird.

If you can get past the slow beginning and thick accents, Kill List proves to be a watchable, well-acted, journey into darkness about the power of evil permeating a life through equally understandable and questionable reactions to it.  It's certainly a film worth discussing, but whether it's the scariest or most brutal film of the decade is debatable.

Re: Kill List (2011)

I saw this at the premier in Toronto last year.  I didn't think it was too brutal until the very end which kind of left me feeling a little sick.  But that's just because I'm a mom probably. There were a few audience members that walked out about half way through, but I actually thought it was pretty good. The beginning was slow but the director said he did that on purpose.  Something about dinner with friends is truly horrific?  Lol.  He said he was trying to pay homage to some his favourite films like The Devil Rides Out.

There seem to be a few occult movies out lately...House of the devil, Kill List, Lords of Salem.  Maybe this is a new old trend?

To have this in a list of Lords of Salem and House of the Devil means, to me, it's a must watch.  Although I haven't personally seen Lords of Salem, I've heard enough from people I trust (DG) to know it's gonna be worth whatever I end up paying for it.  House of the Devil was just absolutely brilliant.  Maxwell, I love slow beginnings as long as it gets to where it's going.  House of the Devil was like that.  To me, it builds atmosphere, story and character development.  I'll check this out for sure.

Kill list was alright. The kills were cool and brutal. I loved the skull cave! But then it lost track and the ending was just so, well there frikkin well wasn't one! I was angry at the time to the point where I claimed it to be the worst movie ever if it wasn't for the deaths. Anger aside, it wasn't THAT bad. Just dull. Bit of tweeking and give me a sodding ending and I probably would have enjoyed it more.

I didn't like it that much either. Yes the kills were brutal but i just couldn't really engage with the characters - who make some annoyingly stupid decisions or the story - which was claimed to be very original by critics despite its blaring similarity to stuff like the Wicker Man. I dont know i just kinda was disinterested in it for long parts, or indeed confused because of its narrative direction. it was almost to me there was not a significant atmosphere to the whole thing, just a mundane and flat one apart from the brutal kill scenes. Plus yes i hated the ending. I was literally screaming WTF in my head. Im just glad i didn't go and waste my money on it at the cinema when i was considering to do so. Saying all this they were some, but only some elements done quite well. The acting for example was quite impressive and very particular scenes i did like (e.g the hotel restaurant scene). These elements however were undone by what i feel were the films clear negatives so overall its a average 5/10 for me. Bloody Disgusting's 2011 Film of the Year, are they having a laugh!. Did they not see Stakeland or Hobo with A Shotgun.

I personally think it'd been better as a straight up hitman movie.

This is one of those films your better off seeing outta the blue, without reading or knowing much or anything about it. I thought it was really good, then again I find occult type movies very interesting, and creepy. I found the hitman angle a pretty interesting mix match to pair with it and the end was pretty unexpected, intense and brutal.

ChainSaW80 wrote:

This is one of those films your better off seeing outta the blue, without reading or knowing much or anything about it. I thought it was really good, then again I find occult type movies very interesting, and creepy. I found the hitman angle a pretty interesting mix match to pair with it and the end was pretty unexpected, intense and brutal.

Yeah, I've had so much disapointment lately with horrors that I've stopped reading reviews and avoid trailers if I can. Much less disapointment since I adopted this approach.

I gotta admit I'm a sucker for a movie that boasts to be the most disturbing or graphic. Normally I'm dissapointed, but sometimes it pays off. Add to the fact that it's an occult horror flick, a favourite theme of mine, and my interest is piqued.

Does it reach the levels of A Serbian Film as far as grotesquery? That's one movie that really did disturb me, especially since it was so well done.

Kill List can in no way be compared to A Serbian Film or anything that extreme.  It is more of a Thriller along the lines of The Wicker Man with a few extremely violent scenes thrown in.

Fair enough. That's probably a good thing. I can stomach that sort of stuff every now and again, but a steady diet of that brutal fare would make anyone sick.

its a criminal based story movie......the script of the muvie is good...