Topic: HorrorFest 2012 movies picked! Now with more information!!!

After 3.5 hours of going through everyone's suggestions, Lon, Panda, Goon and I pared it down to 32.  You can see them here (column A)-

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc … Kanc#gid=0

The ones in column B & C didn't make for various reasons, generally because they tend to be slow, which can kill the conversation.  But I did want everyone to know that we went through and discussed every movie that all of you suggested.

The next step is to start slotting the movies.  HorrorFest starts on the 26th at 6PM (all times are US Eastern; Europe, you're 5 hours ahead of me) and runs into Monday morning, a movie every 2 hours.  Halloween (original and remake) with run at 10PM and midnight on Sunday.  Everything else is to be determined.

If you want, take a look at the doc above, and submit which films you would like when.  I'm also going to be on Skype tomorrow night (probably with some others) to try and figure out where to put all the films, so feel free to drop in there, too, if you have any ideas.

We tried to keep it more focused on year-2000 and later, but wanted to throw some oldies in, too.  If you check the doc, you can see we had to cut about 1/2 of the films, otherwise it would run for 120+ hours.  So I'm sorry if you film didn't get in, there's just so many hours in a weekend.  sad

I hope you like the list, and for the Europeans, since you're 5 hours ahead, let me know what you'd like in the mid-morning to early-evening your time, since it will be 5AM til 2PM over here.

-Azzy

Last edited by azathoth (2012-10-04 05:58:38)

Re: HorrorFest 2012 movies picked! Now with more information!!!

Bumping this because I'm a shameless pimp monkey.  With a knife.  big_smile

Yeah, I'm gonna bump this all day to see if I can get any responses, or more people on Skype tonight.

I'll be on Skype tonight Az to help with placement..

^^
Good man!  smile
I'm going to try to get movie groupings together.

OK, I got the groupings together-

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc … Kanc#gid=0

I figured it would be nice to have similar films together.  If you want them split up, let me know.

Last edited by azathoth (2012-10-01 12:57:00)

Beautiful listing!

I saw you were logged on last night, but never came over to our convo.

Crispy-  wants Dog Soldiers at good time for Euros

Wait wait wait, Halloween remake makes it in and a Wrong Turn film doesn't? And also, Scream 4 out of all the other Scream's? Not a big fan of the list to be honest, but let it be.

It's a complicated process.

it's a beautiful process

@Scavendger - I posted that we'd be talking about selecting movies.  You could have shown up and gave your opinion on the picks.  Shame, shame.

As Panda said- we had 3 and 4 people working on the list for 3.5 hours.  We went over every single suggestion, and pared it down.  There are only so many hours, and we tried for a balance in several different categories.

We're also going to be convening again tonight, if you'd like to join in and suggest some stuff.

Last edited by azathoth (2012-10-01 16:24:05)

If it's not too late I'll take part.

^^
I'm looking at around 8 or 9ish PM US Eastern time.

Do I have you on my Skype list?  If not, send a request to -
azathoth1945

I'll OK it and stick you onto the conversation.

I'm no good with time-zones lol I'm in Dublin, so if it's late your time then I would be a couple of hours ahead and I have college early tomorrow morning. And yeah I have you on Skype tongue No worries.

Sry i didn't make it on sunday night aza. I too tired last night and i have to get up early tomorrow.

Last edited by Vasquez (2012-10-01 16:52:46)

^^
Ah, you're 5 hours ahead of me.

Don't worry, we do multiple iterations on this.  This weekend I'll set up an earlier one so the Euros can join in.  Last year, we spent 4 or 5 full nights to come to the final picks.

So you'll get to debate with the group on the picks.  I try to please as many people as possible.  big_smile

^ Woop! big_smile Just let me know the times this weekend then and I shall be there.

Check back here later on this week.  I'll keep updating this thread whenever anything new pops out.

What we did was break down the entire list into "possibles" and "no's".  Then we took the list of possibles and whittled it down to fit 64 hours.  Wrong Turn just kind of fell by the wayside as we contrasted and compared to the other possibles.  And we settled on Scream 4 because we also want movies that lend themselves to an energetic chat, and the first Scream (while great) has been talked about so much that there's not really a lot left to say about it. lol

I'm quite pleased with the list myself.  I'm not a fan of all the movies on it, but for the most part they're the kind of films which should be fun to talk about and will help us avoid any gaps in chat, which is what we always hope to avoid.  I used Deah Proof as an example last night.  When we watched it for a Movie Night a while back, there was hardly any conversation during the flick.  It's so slow and uneventful with the exception of the car crash and chase scenes that we were all just kind of sitting there going "Bluhhhh."  IIRC, occasionally you could hear one of us lighting up a smoke or clearing our throat.  That was about it. lol

You guys always pick the best movies!  I can't wait to join in.

^^
I'm open to hear arguments for/against our decisions. 

Those who have not partaken in our marathon discussions don't know all the stuff we try to take into account.  You weren't hear last year Lon for this, but we went through 4 or 5 iterations. 

But Lon did nail the most important point- we've had movies where the conversation just dies.  #1 is to try to spread around the films as equally as possible.  #2 is to keep as many of the films as active as possible, or as conversation worthy as possible.  #3 is that this is my gig, and as such I try to make as many people happy as I can, but I gotta make decisions based on about 15 different opinions.

Anyhoo, 9PM tonight for more discussion on HorrorFest.  Join in.  We got a some people already there, and some others may be showing up.

big_smile

OK, new news.

The guys and gals talked me into adding more movies, thusly extending HFest by about 8 or so hours.

So Scavenger, you get your Wrong Turn.  I'm gonna pair it up with Dog Soldiers, since you and Crispy are both in the same time zone.  I'll try to get them slotted in late afternoon or early evening on Saturday or Sunday.

Everyone can check out the slightly modified movie spreadsheet-
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc … gid=0Demon

We got basically nothing done last night.  But it's cool, we made a new friend (PyroPiranha, aka Pyhrra (sorry if I spelled that wrong) ) and found out that there is a Kentucky goat gigalo.  I tried giving Lon the nickname Turner the Donginator, but I was outvoted on that one.   Let's just say that we strayed off topic for about 4 hours.

So anyway, we'll probably be back on tonight to (hopefully) get some work done of the list.  (really thought Turner the Donginator was a good one...)

Well tonight we did get some work done.  The next version has the movies slotted into their time slots.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc … gid=0Demon