Topic: 31 Days of Horror

Starting tomorrow I will embark on a journey leading up to Halloween. The goal is simple 31 days of horror related TV, video games, movies, and books. Since I'm doubled up on books because of a 60's literature class I will likely be reading only one book (as it stands that will be Christine) but the rest is fair game. I will be chronicling my experience throughout the month, since I have been flakey on my horror lately, any requests I'll throw into the mix and see what happens. I'm in my final semester of my BFA Writing program so if my posts are a day late don't berate me, things are stressful. lol

Anyway happy hunting for everyone else this month as well wink

Re: 31 Days of Horror

Sounds like fun Mr Black....I pretty much do that all year...lol

I watch Horror movies and read Horror related stuff pretty much 24-7.

Keep us up to date with what you are watching, playing, and reading!  smile

Yeah I know I gotta take baby steps before I can do that year round lol Also tough considering the people I live with are not into horror as much as I am. I am excited for this though, haven't written any articles in a long time.

If you want to watch some horror check out the new season of Two and a Half Men. The new season is so bad it keeps me up at night.

It does make it tough when the wife or husband doesn't like Horror.  My Hubby just tolerates it.  I ocassionally get a comment like "What the hell are you watching now?" or "Can we watch something normal tonight?"  lol   He prefers the comedies and scifi, that's for sure...

God two and a half men sounds terrifying.

DirtyGirl wrote:

It does make it tough when the wife or husband doesn't like Horror.  My Hubby just tolerates it.  I ocassionally get a comment like "What the hell are you watching now?" or "Can we watch something normal tonight?"  lol   He prefers the comedies and scifi, that's for sure...

Those two phrases are the ones I hear often. I know exactly what you mean.

Awesome Mr. Black.  Keep us posted.  I love this time of year.

Heh, I watch my horror once Vampy is sleeping.  Her most often question is, "Are you Skyping with HM again?"  lol

Panda, don't even try to keep up DG, she's a fiend.  I couldn't even keep up with my comments on her "365 Days" thread.

Have fun!

I always binge on horror related materials through out october. Make sure to check out some horror comics, the old Tales From the Crypt and other EC (and non-EC) comics of the 40's and 50's always tickle my fancy.

^^
You may want to check out the HorrorFest 2012 thread.

We get together on Skype to watch movies for a weekend and talk about them, sort of like MST3K, though we try to pick better movies.

Looking forward to your insights Mr. Black:)

*I demented my Monster a looong time ago, he is one of ussssss now;)

Your monster? Whaaaat?

The Time of the Season, October 1st:         

The leaves finally took a turn and changed color. I looked around and everything had pumpkin flavor added on (not that it’s a bad thing). I sat down with a few members of my writer’s group and it finally hit me.
    “Today is October 1st,” I spoke up.
    For me it has become less about the movies and more about the experience we have watching them. The books and games we pick up have a bigger meaning this month.  Only the real close groups of trolls that live and breathe the holiday that is Halloween celebrate it every day. On my way out to class the members of my group talked about putting up decorations already.
    One girl wanted me to make a mix tape of my horror soundtracks I own. I gladly accepted and gave her a blend of Italian horror and classic soundtracks.
    So, how did I start my day today? I walked out to my car on this crisp autumn day and plugged in my iPod. The first song that came up was the theme for The Walking Dead. Appropriate seeing as the new season is starting up and is highly anticipated in my group. The sense of dread the song delivers was juxtaposed against the bright day in town but still felt appropriate. This is after all only the beginning to the madness of the rest of the month.
    As I pulled into my parking spot on campus I was greeted with the climax of “In the House – In a Heartbeat” off of the 28 Days Later… soundtrack. Another song that built up momentum and really made me not dread the work I had ahead of me.
    Soundtracks I believe are what make or break a horror film. Could be a great plot ruined by soundtrack pacing and the movie will take a hit. In a future article I’ll go deeper into soundtracks as that has always been one of my favorite parts to Halloween and horror in general.
    So, where did I end up today? The European cut of Dawn of the Dead while I mulled over this posting. The original Dawn holds a place in my heart as I remember renting the old VHS copy (red tag at our local video store, $1 for four nights) and being blown away. I had seen enough clips from the movie to try and piece together the plot, though I was way off, and really thought the movie was a stroke of brilliance.
    The European cut is interesting on my own and I am saving one of the other cuts for when I watch the trilogy in an afternoon. But there is something about watching a film re-cut differently and see how it paces. I love it in its own way but I don’t believe anything will top that first experience with the Romero cut.
    Dawn of the Dead is the classic zombie movie that most will point out (with Night probably being a tie) and cite it as being a fun movie. Yes it is fun but it’s also a deeper film. You can make any accusation about what the film is really about. Is it consumerism or selfish attitudes of people? Maybe, but this month we’re watching it because we’re fans. And we love films that make us cringe and our skin crawl.

(This turned out a lot different than I thought. Some days might be more horror related than experience related)

Beautiful movie, Mr Black.

Mr. Black wrote:

The Time of the Season, October 1st:         

The leaves finally took a turn and changed color. I looked around and everything had pumpkin flavor added on (not that it’s a bad thing). I sat down with a few members of my writer’s group and it finally hit me.
    “Today is October 1st,” I spoke up.
    For me it has become less about the movies and more about the experience we have watching them. The books and games we pick up have a bigger meaning this month.  Only the real close groups of trolls that live and breathe the holiday that is Halloween celebrate it every day. On my way out to class the members of my group talked about putting up decorations already.
    One girl wanted me to make a mix tape of my horror soundtracks I own. I gladly accepted and gave her a blend of Italian horror and classic soundtracks.
    So, how did I start my day today? I walked out to my car on this crisp autumn day and plugged in my iPod. The first song that came up was the theme for The Walking Dead. Appropriate seeing as the new season is starting up and is highly anticipated in my group. The sense of dread the song delivers was juxtaposed against the bright day in town but still felt appropriate. This is after all only the beginning to the madness of the rest of the month.
    As I pulled into my parking spot on campus I was greeted with the climax of “In the House – In a Heartbeat” off of the 28 Days Later… soundtrack. Another song that built up momentum and really made me not dread the work I had ahead of me.
    Soundtracks I believe are what make or break a horror film. Could be a great plot ruined by soundtrack pacing and the movie will take a hit. In a future article I’ll go deeper into soundtracks as that has always been one of my favorite parts to Halloween and horror in general.
    So, where did I end up today? The European cut of Dawn of the Dead while I mulled over this posting. The original Dawn holds a place in my heart as I remember renting the old VHS copy (red tag at our local video store, $1 for four nights) and being blown away. I had seen enough clips from the movie to try and piece together the plot, though I was way off, and really thought the movie was a stroke of brilliance.
    The European cut is interesting on my own and I am saving one of the other cuts for when I watch the trilogy in an afternoon. But there is something about watching a film re-cut differently and see how it paces. I love it in its own way but I don’t believe anything will top that first experience with the Romero cut.
    Dawn of the Dead is the classic zombie movie that most will point out (with Night probably being a tie) and cite it as being a fun movie. Yes it is fun but it’s also a deeper film. You can make any accusation about what the film is really about. Is it consumerism or selfish attitudes of people? Maybe, but this month we’re watching it because we’re fans. And we love films that make us cringe and our skin crawl.

(This turned out a lot different than I thought. Some days might be more horror related than experience related)

I can say with honesty that that was a great read.

Brings back memories

Glad I did Tripod. The nostalgia factor of October is high for me. Glad to share with others.

Very nice Mr Black smile   I love how during the month of October isn't so weird to watch Horror (for a girl), read some H.P. Lovecraft, and listen to Horror Soundtracks! smile

I've got my Lovecraft collection on my nightstand! Still haven't really read anything of his.

Lovecraft is an essential read. Do not wait!

I also like to listen to the War of the Worlds radio broadcast. I can't believe thought it really was an alien invasion warning..would laugh if someone pulled freaky shit like that again.

Wicked idea for a thread, Mr. Black! This will be entertaining.

I'm always exhausted after coming home from school (since I have to be up at quarter to six every morning), so I know I won't be up to the challenge for a consistent and full month of horror  - but I salute you on your mission, Sir! It sounds like it's going to be a lot of fun.

All I want for Halloween is a big booty hoe.

Mr. Black wrote:

The nostalgia factor of October is high for me. Glad to share with others.

Mr. Black...I appreciated your longer post as well.  Thanks for sharing.  As I read it, something kinda clicked with me.

For many, Halloween is a pumpkin and a ghost story.  Trick or treat and a costume.  Now, there is absolutely nothing wrong with this at all.  That is great.

Still...for many, if not most, if not all, here...Halloween is so much more than that.  It is an experience.  A time. 

For me...something inside me comes alive when I smell that crisp cool air.  It gets dark earlier.  The programs on TV change.  The decorations come up.

When I was a youngen, my dad made a hanging pole for Halloween.  Buried a huge wood pole in the ground, and hung a dummy (not me) from it.  Was such a cool thing, and really amped up my love for Halloween. 

Also, when I was young...kids, hordes of kids, actually went out and trick or treated.  We had so much fun.

I love going to haunted houses.  Love going first...longing to be scared.

To us, this time of year is an experience to be cherished and enjoyed.  smile

I appreciate your insights on this too. The memories of the past are great. I remember trick or treating and learning how to make costumes and whatnot. So many good times. I'm doing makeup for some friends this year I believe and it's all a change but it feels normal. I love this time of year. It goes beyond the feeling scared.