Re: DirtyGirl's Horror Movie A Day Challenge

day 310-

Ravenous- 7/10 Rewatch Dvd

Oct 1 - Riki-Oh: The Story of Ricky (1991) - After his girlfriend commits suicide, Ricky kills her dealer and finds himself in prison where the prisoners have no rights and are constantly abused.  Pretty damn silly, but entertaining none the less.  2.5/5.  First watch.

Day 311-

Psycho 2-  7/10 First Watch Dvd

Very good sequel to the classic...my first time watching it.  I was surprised to see Meg Tilly in it.

Last edited by DirtyGirl (2012-10-04 18:58:29)

Have you seen Psycho III yet?  My favorite of the sequels.

I will watch it tomorrow smile

Oct 3 - Smiley (2012) - When an emotionally fragile Ashley discovers the urban legend of Smiley, a serial killer who can be summoned via the internet, she must decide if she is losing her mind or if she is in line to become his next victim.  Best thing about the movie was Smiley's mask.  For a slasher, this one was pretty boring.  Very little action, no nudity and no creative or gorey kills.  2/5.  First watch.

Excision (2012) -  Aspiring to be a surgeon, a disturbed and delusional high school girl goes to extremes to earn the approval of her mother.  Twisted for sure, but not to the extent that I was expecting going in.  Darkly humorous at times with a strong cast, John Waters as a minister, Traci Lords as the uptight suburban mother, Ray Wise, Marlee Matlin, and Malcom McDowell, not to mention a terrific performance by AnnaLynne McCord as the delusional Pauline.  3.5/5.  First watch.

Day 312-  Blair Witch

Day 313- Blair Witch 2

Didja get your movies yet?  Didja, didja?

Oct 4 - The Item (2001) - Four homicidal felons are hired by an unknown client to purchase a case containing an item and guard it for 24 hours until the client can retrieve it.  But when their curiosity gets the best of them and they open the case, all hell breaks loose.  Not at all what I was expecting, and not in a good way.  A strange flick that is definitely different from the synopsis that I read for it.  It did have some entertaining bits, but overall, it was pretty weak.  1.5/5.  First watch.

Oct 5 - Chernobyl Diaries (2012) - Four friends on Vacation in Europe are joined by another young couple on an extreme tour of the abandoned city of Pripyat, once home to the workers of the Chernobly reactor.  But once insisde the city, they realize that they are not alone.  Better than I was expecting, I know a lot of other people didn't care for it, but I actually enjoyed it.  Good creepy atmoshere and locations.  3/5.  First watch.

Oct 6 - The Fields (2011) - While his parents try to work out their marrital problems, Steven is sent to live with his grandparents on their rural farm.  There he and his grandparents are terrorized by an unseen prescence in the corn fields.  Tara Reid is in the film for all of about 5 minutes, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, and probably the best thing about the film was Cloris Leachman as the grandmother.  It ends up being very different from the way that the film was marketed and not in a good way.  2/5.  First watch.

Oct 7 - Dream Home (2010) - Wow what a difference good subtitles make.  The first time I watched it the subtitles were pretty poor, so it was confusing with all of the flash backs.  Much better on the 2nd viewing.  4/5.  Rewatch.

Last edited by alien25 (2012-10-09 14:13:55)

Oct 8 - The Barrens (2012) - While on a camping trip with his wife, teenage daughter and young son, Richard Vineyard becomes convinced that they are being stalked by The Jersey Devil, the legendary beast that supposedly roams the New Jersey Pine Barrens.  Is his paranoia getting the best of him, or is there really a monster out there intending to harm him and his family?  Has the look and feel of a SyFy production, minus the cheesy CGI.  Boring and uneventful for the most part, playing out as you would expect, but they do throw in a little twist at the end, which for me was the only saving grace.  2.5/5.  First watch.

LoudLon wrote:

Didja get your movies yet?  Didja, didja?

Guess what was waiting for me on the porch today when I got home....A big box of goodies.  I will take a pic as soon as i can and post it in the Movies I just bought thread smile

Right on!  I hope you enjoy them all! big_smile

Have to catch up...

day 314- Edward Scissorhands

day 315-  Halloween Tree

day 316-  Mad Monster Party

Oct 9 - Grave Encounters 2 (2012) - Not much more that I can add to what others have said about it, suffice to say that it was not very good.  2/5.  First watch.

Day 317-

Bloodletting- 6/10 Low budget and weird.  Just how I like them!  Lon, you sure know how to pick them...lol  I would have given it a 7 for the story and just "awesome factor"  but the acting was pretty awful.  My favourite part was at the video store.  I wish I could take a time machine back to that video store.  pretty cool smile

Last edited by DirtyGirl (2012-10-10 19:09:24)

I dig the video store scene, as well.  That's Shatter Dead director Scooter McRae who gets the pencil to the neck, Sasha Graham of The Vicious Sweet as the girl Butch flirts with and the tiny little chick is Tina Krause, she of countless SOV "abuse/horror" flicks of the 90s and 00s.

Also if you check the review section of the DVD you'll see a quote from my review back during my zombiekeeper.com days. big_smile

Loved how she said she was going to put on the new Peter murphy CD just to test him...lol

very cool lon that you were quoted for your review!  Surprised at all the B-Movie people in this movie including Michael Gingold from Fangoria.

Yeah, Gingold, he's in there.  As a reporter, if memory serves.  I remember first reading about this flick in an issue of Fango in the late 90s.  Bloodletting is the movie which got me initially interested in SOV flicks.  It's also one of the better SOV flicks, period. 

Granted that ain't sayin' much, but still...

Definitely low budget but I thought it had a lot of good parts more than bad.  definitely had the Tarentino banter going on... very 90s!  But I loved that about it  smile

Oct 10 - FDR: American Badass! (2012) - Okay, so it is low budget, cheesy and down right goofy, but it still was a fun watch.  2.5/5.  First watch.

DirtyGirl wrote:

Definitely low budget but I thought it had a lot of good parts more than bad.  definitely had the Tarentino banter going on... very 90s!  But I loved that about it  smile

If you like these kind of shot-on-video flicks I can recommend a few more.  But just a few; while SOV flicks were a rather popular movement back in the 90s and early '00s (at least here in the States) the majority of them were pure and utter shit.  Which is to be expected, considering most were made by dopes with camcorders and a free weekend.  But there are some which are just as good as anything you'll see in the theater.  Some even better.

Oct 11 - Captain Kronos: Vampire Hunter (1974) - It was pretty good, though a tad on the slow side for me.  3/5.  First watch.

day 318-

Horror of Dracula

Day 319- 

Dracula (The Frank Langella one)

Alien-  I Loved Kronos-  one of the more action packed Hammer movies smile

hey dirty girl are ya free on day 319? I say lets get it on--- horror style. I'll creap on your house and break in---- you just scream not call the cops then I'm IN for the lovin! eh?