Topic: ATM , warning spoiler

Did anyone see this movie , ATM ? What is it that the man in the hooded parka wanted ? If he went there to rob the ATM machine then why didn't he just wait until everyone left to do so ? In the end I think that the last surviving person is going to be accused of the murders of everyone else ?

Re: ATM , warning spoiler

Haven't seen it, so I didn't read your post.

Just wanted to give you a thumbs up on the "spoiler warning" part.  Nice gesture that people tend to forget to do.

Re: ATM , warning spoiler

peter912 wrote:

Did anyone see this movie , ATM ? What is it that the man in the hooded parka wanted ? If he went there to rob the ATM machine then why didn't he just wait until everyone left to do so ? In the end I think that the last surviving person is going to be accused of the murders of everyone else ?

No, he was just one of those faceless monsters that are par for the course in these types of films. He wanted to torment them, even though the three lobsters were in a well lit industrial estate and the whole film made no sense. Even if the audience is to assume that it's meant to take place in real time (which, it's clearly not, as there's many cutaways to paint the idea that time has passed) then we're to accept that a huge car park with  overhead lighting in the middle of a busy city would be so deserted that only a dog walker (btw - who walks their dogs in such a place?) and a security guard would ever even venture there.
My advice for anyone wishing to see this is watch the petrol station segment from Creepshow 2 instead, it achieves everything that this overly long effort attempts in a third of the runtime and is actually scary.
Also - there was a shocking dearth of ass to mouth, which, given the title is false advertising!!!
Sorry - I couldn't help myself big_smile

Re: ATM , warning spoiler

I really dug ATM.  It wasn't a great movie, but it had a lot of the elements that made Adam Green's Frozen such a great movie.  I've watched it twice and it's coming to Netflix so I will watch it again once there.

Re: ATM , warning spoiler

I thought it was okay.  Thought it had a lot going for it early on. 

I am thoroughly confused about the significance of the very end (including the scenes after some of the credits).  Is that to show that the guy doing this is a camera angle wiz, and uses that to torment people??!!??!?  I mean, it looks more like he just cut and spliced scenes, and got rid of other footage to make the dude look guilty and it wasn't so much to do with camera angles. 

I think they needed some sort of closure in giving us some idea of who this is and why he did it.

Re: ATM , warning spoiler

Ghostseeker wrote:

I thought it was okay.  Thought it had a lot going for it early on. 

I am thoroughly confused about the significance of the very end (including the scenes after some of the credits).  Is that to show that the guy doing this is a camera angle wiz, and uses that to torment people??!!??!?  I mean, it looks more like he just cut and spliced scenes, and got rid of other footage to make the dude look guilty and it wasn't so much to do with camera angles. 

I think they needed some sort of closure in giving us some idea of who this is and why he did it.

Sometimes even in real life these psychopaths and killers couldn't tell you why they do what they do, because even they don't know the reason .

Re: ATM , warning spoiler

When I invest in a book or movie, I like to have some sort of grasp of what the whole point was.  I don't exactly mean I need a huge background explanation to know why someone did what they did (I know that's kinda what I wrote - misspoke), but something to add some closure. 

Now, I realize in life people don't always know why they did what they did.  To me, if a movie or book does its job, then that will better conveyed, and it will feel more part of the story...that the act was random.  In ATM, it did not feel the randomness was natural...to me anyway. 

Also, it wasn't totally random (he picked the ATM), as shown by the pictures the bad guy had at the end, which brings me to my main question...again, what the hell was the ending about?  The very end and throughout the credits?  That is my main question.

Re: ATM , warning spoiler

Well the ending was just to show that this guy had probably done it a dozen times.. He was mapping out more places where he could torment people.. I feel the same way as you though.. In real life some people are just crazy.. But in a movie you have to give some kind of explanation.. I mean they didn't even say he was crazy.. You have absolutely no clue why he did it.. Thats bad storytelling.

Re: ATM , warning spoiler

Goon wrote:

Well the ending was just to show that this guy had probably done it a dozen times.. He was mapping out more places where he could torment people.. I feel the same way as you though.. In real life some people are just crazy.. But in a movie you have to give some kind of explanation.. I mean they didn't even say he was crazy.. You have absolutely no clue why he did it.. Thats bad storytelling.

Since no explanation was given in the movie , then I would assume from this ,that the explanation is simply that this is how he gets his enjoyment , tormenting people .

Re: ATM , warning spoiler

Gardenofstone10 wrote:

I really dug ATM.  It wasn't a great movie, but it had a lot of the elements that made Adam Green's Frozen such a great movie.  I've watched it twice and it's coming to Netflix so I will watch it again once there.


I liked Frozen much better.  ATM was way over the top. I live in a small town where everything's on the same road so it's kinda hard to imagine NO ONE coming by but a few idiots that get picked off easily.  But horror movies don't have to be realistic or practical for me to enjoy so I still liked this one.