Re: Last horror movie you watched?

^^^
Yeah the ending is just soooo freaky.
One of my all times favorite.

The Legend of Hell House - I'd watched it years ago and couldn't remember it well so I thought it was time to revisit it. I liked the atmosphere, however, having read the book in between viewings, I realize how much they dumbed it down for film. The level of depravity and dread in the book far surpasses what's portrayed in the movie. The back story of what had happened in that house was reduced to a few sentences on screen. I realize it would have been impossible to do much more than that without earning an x-rating. Had I not read the book, I'd have liked this much more. It's a good haunted house movie. 6/10

Last edited by Ms.Gorefiend (2012-10-06 12:45:12)

Shuttle. Quite impressive indie thriller 8/10

Yeah Ms. Gorefiend, it's always the case in films from books. Just look how It or The Shining lost compared to the books. That's why I read the books after seeing the films. I'm not as disapointed doing this.

Last edited by kXnPunk (2012-10-06 13:49:15)

I loved Hell House the novel and while I agree they cut out a great deal for the adaptation, I still enjoyed Legend of Hell House quite a bit.  Briskly paced, I like how each scene ends with a situation or line of dialogue which leads to the next, and Roddy McDowell rocks the role of Ben Fisher, Clive Revell's excellent as the overly confident Barrett and Pamela Franklin is just as good as the doe-eyed religious nut.  Didn't much care for the chick who played Revell's wife, but hey, ya can't win 'em all.

Yeah, it's a bit loose with the backstory and a touch on the tame side in regards to scares, but it has loads of atmosphere, the sets are amazing, the acting is top-notch and if you pause it just right you can see Franklin's boobs in silhouette. big_smile

Final Destination 5 again,  it on sky now, 8pm every night until Thursday

LoudLon wrote:

I loved Hell House the novel and while I agree they cut out a great deal for the adaptation, I still enjoyed Legend of Hell House quite a bit.  Briskly paced, I like how each scene ends with a situation or line of dialogue which leads to the next, and Roddy McDowell rocks the role of Ben Fisher, Clive Revell's excellent as the overly confident Barrett and Pamela Franklin is just as good as the doe-eyed religious nut.  Didn't much care for the chick who played Revell's wife, but hey, ya can't win 'em all.

Yeah, it's a bit loose with the backstory and a touch on the tame side in regards to scares, but it has loads of atmosphere, the sets are amazing, the acting is top-notch and if you pause it just right you can see Franklin's boobs in silhouette. big_smile

I still enjoyed it. It's one of the better haunted house movies. The atmosphere and setting are both amazing. It's just that the book hit me on such a visceral level, something the movie failed to do. I'm not saying it was bad by any means. I recently read the novel for a second time and it's pretty fresh in my mind. I should have waited a while to watch the movie again.

If you liked the book (which you obviously did, which only goes to show you have good taste because I liked it too, so, guilt by assocation) then you should check out the Hell House graphic novel, which adapts the novel almost perfectly.  Just don't let the kiddies see it because it doesn't hold back on the ghost sex scene.

Oh, and the last horror movie I watched: a double feature of Romero's Dawn of the Dead and Carpenter's The Fog.

Just saw Grave Encounters, after I had it here for about 3 months.
It was ok, one of the better FF flicks, but nothing special really.
What made the film interesting for me was the use of one of my favourite surreal events, which gave the movie a completely different structure than I thought it would.

But, again a movie that overuses the FF, leaving all sublety behind, and manages to keep the wrong myth of lobotomy alive.

Last edited by golem09 (2012-10-06 16:38:21)

Cabin In The Woods and Wrong Turn 4: Bloody Beginnings

Ok, glad I wasn't the only one who didnt like V/H/S. Funny thought a friend at work loved it. He's probably not seen as many

Captivity with the oh so fucking damn hot as mad Elisha Cuthbert.
Very claustrophobic piece this was, the kidnapper was crazy. I really enjoyed how Elisha played her role, she looked really frightened. There's some errors but I'm not one that really cares about any of that stuff. That's why I'd be a really BAD film critic. I love them all. Even 2 of the baddest from these last few years, Gigli and I Know Who Killed Me which are movie I loved. Hahahaha So don't hire me. lol

But yeah Captivity was very enjoyeable. 8/10

In TTCM Even thou you could totally see that Tobe Hooper limited the gore it still brings a very dark mood to the film.

Last edited by A Lost Boy (2012-10-07 01:01:26)

Evil Laugh (1986)
From IMDB-
"A group of Med students fix up an old house over a weekend. Where a mass murder occurred 10 years earlier. Mayhem ensues. "

And... that's pretty much it.  Though there is a funny 20 second scene were a guy, on his way to the house, pulls over to pee.  Somehow, he pees on a biker and his girlfriend, who are just taking a snooze on the embankment for whatever reason.  This has nothing to do with the plot.

And it really should be call "Annoying Laugh."  Stars Steven Baio, Scott Baio's little brother!  He also sucks as an actor.  No real plot, bad dialogue, bad acting, a scene of dancing while cleaning the house (!?), and a twist ending that was so not twisty it anti-twisted itself.  Was also a funny bit where a guy was stabbed in the crotch and the knife came out his butt.  Not that you see any of it, except a knife popping out of a pair of jeans, but I liked the idea in principle.

Also, slow.  If you have insomnia, watch it.  Anyone else, don't bother- it's not horrible enough to riff on, and you'll get no enjoyment out of the never pictured killings.  It's about as exciting and scary as the squirrels that live in my back yard.  While sedated with horse tranquilizers.

3/10

Last edited by azathoth (2012-10-07 10:10:50)

Abominable (2006)

I have also seen this shop and I never pick up,  I thought it sound like really bad b-movie.

I found B-movie really enjoyable, the acting is not that good, however it fit in with the rest of this b-movie.

There really good scare moments in this movie, that worked really well,  I did not expect from this movie.

I wish they showed the Bigfoot a bit less, the parts of the movie see parts of him, found it be little scary, when we finally see the whole bigfoot.

It's was too bad, i found it little to goofy and not scary. they could of made him look a lot more scary.

Harry looks more scary this bigfoot and I love Harry Hendderson 

6 out of 10 good b-movie

Silent Night Bloody Night

Teen Wolf (1985) - 8/10

Haven't seen this flick in a looong time.

Altitude (2010)

Better then sounds, The chacaters were not that likeable, so didn't really care about them if they were killed.

The were some two good moments in this movie and  there are far too many long slows scenes,  try to make you warn to them, just seem makes even less likable.

The creature were not too bad,  I didn't understand some of stuff, the twist was not bad, some may see it coming.

5 out of 10 Decent horror!

Apartment 143 - I really thought this one was pretty creepy especially the ending. It is another found footage film but it didn't bother me much.. Their is also a kind of odd Evil Dead homage in their.. Well at least an influenced scene.

^^
Thanks Goon.  Stuck it in my Netflix queue.

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre Part 2

1408 - 8.5/10

I love it when pretty much anything goes in a horror film. Especially for a film with a paranormal theme. Samuel L. Jackson did a great job as the Hotel Manager, and of course John Cusack was really good as well. Solid flick.

Blackwood Evil (2000 )

This must of been cash in on TBWP, This is so boring, I could not get into this movie at all, there was not second, I was actually in trusted .

There way to much arugments going on for most of the movie, saying the same thing over and over again, I Stopped it at just before the hour mark.

Nothing happen in first 52 minutes at all, just talking about thinks that have happned in the past in the house.

The acting was very bad at times as well.  no scary scenes at all.

No rating at the moment.

Last edited by BASSI (2012-10-07 13:13:30)

Cry_Wolf and The Crazies (remake)